Page 1 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2012, 9:43 pm

so i saw someone here posted about having an iq if 193 (this would be perhaps only a dozen people in the world) assuming iq is a reasonable way of measuring intelligence... while my friend claims an iq of 160 which is certainly false because i am clearly smarter than him and mine is tested at around 130 (again i don't even believe it to be that high) iq is not even valid anyway. why would someone so intelligent even believe in it!? 8O

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2012, 9:51 pm

people lie all the time, believe me, I'm a bird.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 10:50 pm

Chaos_Epoch wrote:
people lie all the time, believe me, I'm a bird.

Really? I always thought you were a cat! :?

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2012, 10:56 pm

also, some people have dyslexia....

Dannyboy271
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2012, 11:19 pm

I can't understand why someone would just assume they have a CERTAIN IQ. How could you ever do that if you don't even know how it's scored? I'm sure most people on here probably haven't just guessed their IQ.
Although then again, a better way to say it is why anyone would publish their guessed IQ's...

But honestly, I doubt there are as many guessers on here as you think. Plus, you can't just assume your smarter than your friend. That's awfully arrogant of anyone. Just because you have ability beyond maybe 20 percent of whatever he does, doesn't mean your smarter than him. Plus, all the different areas of intelligence, and all the different ways to abstract it always make people seem smarter or dumber than they really are.

JBO
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2012, 11:36 pm

The smartest people I know think IQ is a crock.

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2012, 11:37 pm

i'm not referring to people who guess but to people who have had tests and may be embellishing... and no iq scores are not an accurate way of measuring one's intellect and capabilities. you do not know my friend but he will talk about things he knows nothing about, be blatantly wrong and i will catch all of it.... also reasoning is not his strong point but yes it's safe to say i am smarter than him. unless the smartest person in existence of the present and past created the test, then it cannot measure intelligence properly :roll:

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2012, 11:57 pm

JBO wrote:

thank you! that is what i was trying to say.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 12:04 am

"Clearly smarter than him."

Simply put... IQ is a measure of book learning, not applied knowledge... and some of the dumbest people I know have astounding IQs

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 12:28 am

JBO wrote:

IQ is a perfectly reasonable concept. It stays relatively constant, has a genetic component, and is correlated with various things.

The problem happens when you try to claim that IQ stands for "Intelligence Quotient".

Shrok
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2012, 1:12 am

When I was a kid I was tested for my IQ and scored 167. I don't know if that number still holds up today but it definitely isn't a lie. Not that anyone on here has any way of knowing that. Frankly I don't really care too much about what my IQ is these days. I have so many disabilities that having a high IQ seems like a minor pro in a sea of cons.

But yeah people do tend to lie about their IQ scores. These people should realize that IQ isn't an end all be all measurement of a persons intellectual capacity and even people with low IQ's are capable of great things.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 1:39 am

fleurdelily wrote:
also, some people have dyslexia....

Good point. Maybe he meant to type "913". :)

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2012, 1:41 am

It really is astounding how many people overinflate their IQs. Many people regularily claim 140 and higher. A genius level IQ is rare for a reason. Extremely few individuals truly possess it.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 1:48 am

The largest cause of inflated IQs is online 'IQ tests'.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 1:50 am

I once read online somewhere that the highest IQ someone ever had was 175 and he was the smartest person in the world. Anyone who claims to have a higher IQ than that, I don't believe them. They maybe took an online IQ test or something and those are not accurate. I know even real IQ tests can be inaccurate because I used to score in the mild ret*d range and in the borderline ret*d range. So my mom made a doctor test me in other areas because my school was going by my overall IQ score and believing that was my true IQ. I have seen people on here claim to have low IQs and I also question it. I don't believe they are lying, I just believe they are saying they have that IQ because that is what they were told or read in their medical reports.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 2:08 am

babybuggy32 wrote:
my friend claims an iq of 160 which is certainly false because i am clearly smarter than him... ... why would someone so intelligent even believe in it!? 8O

Being as intelligent as you clearly are, don't you see how silly and contradictory you sound?