Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2012, 5:21 pm

I wanted to go in detail, but then I realized I use this username for a few different things and don't want it being tracked around (not like I'm that popular though, ha). My life has varied wildly between an absolute disaster of mentally traumatic proportions to manic joy and success. The last four years have been primarily the former, the four before that were the latter and the sixteen before that flip-flopped between the two. I read some of your guys' stories and can't help but feel terrible for you. We've had it tough, yo.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 5:26 pm

Hard for me to say. My life has been good and then there has been times it was bad. I was not aware of my limitations then and what issues I had. Going to lot of doctor appointments didn't bother me and I enjoyed going to speech therapy and seeing my shrink in 5th and 6th grade and going to occupational therapy. The problems I noticed then were kids rejecting me, kids being mean to me, people treating me differently, problems fitting in, school work being hard, problems focusing in school, and I just thought I had to try harder to be normal. I was not aware I had a disability or had something wrong with me.

Right now I would say it's not that hard because I am married and we live with m parents, I work part time, my husband takes care of lot of stuff and he is working on getting on Social Security because he is unable to work full time and his work has given him enough breaks already and he doesn't want to lose his job so he went back to part time to keep it. He can work full time it's just when something bad happens in his life like his mother gets sick or father, he gets anxiety about it because he has an anxiety disorder and he gets stressed out because of it so he ends up having seizures and it effects him at work. So he doesn't want to take any chances of losing his job and he has had so many jobs over the years because of his brain damage that gives him learning issues. He would always quit before they fire him because they tell him "one more mistake, you are through."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

7stringer
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2012, 5:53 pm

Good and bad, but the most difficult has probably been teens. At school in particular, I didn't instinctively know how to erm... "act" my age, got bullied, had quite a bit of social rejection due to being hopeless at it most of the time, didn't have much in common with most people, lousy confidence, odd behaviour. Stuff like that.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 7:23 pm

I spent a long time traveling around the world and learned that my life is not that bad. As bad as I thought I had it most people in the world have it worse. I think it's on of those 'kill one it's a tragedy, kill a million it's a statistic" things. I don't think most people in western countries can truly comprehend how many people around the world live in real poverty and how bad their conditions are. As hard as my life has seemed at times in the US I will never say my life has been hard.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 6:01 pm

Hard in some ways. When I was in school I was severely bullied to the point of a psychotic breakdown where I ended up in the mental hospital. People would physically bully me and verbally bully me. I had to go school to school to get away from the bullying until I ended up in a special school meant for people with mental disorders. Also when I was 11 years old I had someone try to rape me. My house also had been robbed, and while we in the house a couple years later, a bullet was shot at it. Any one of us could have died that day. in fact it was a close call. I am still occasionally bullied to this day, that is online cyber bullying. Even on this very site. And many others. On a site called "schizophrenia.com" they bullied me until I practically became suicidal. My mom is in incredible pain most of the time and has nearly died on me many times because of her surgeries. 10 years ago my mom could have died for another reason with the doctors predicting 2 years left on her life in 2002. It was not because of surgery back then but rather her lungs. At one time they were only operating at 50% and she had to be on oxygen all the time. In fact her oxygen got so low that she had to go in an ambulance to go to the hospital. She still has lung issues by getting bronchitis and pneumonia all the time. Each time I fear for her life. At least now we know the warning signs. My dad's health is now deteriorating to the point of needing surgery. Our finances are getting worse and worse by the year. Each opportunity for any one of our family's businesses ended up being a failure. All I know is failure. Next year my dad is planning to retire and we will have no money. So poverty is next. On top of the hell that is surgeries every single year for my mom and some (most) ended up as a failure and didn't fix the problem. For months we had a rat infestation. i mean we caught approximately 100 rats since May this year. Dad had a heart attack scare which luckily didn't turn out to be a heart attack but he does have heart problems. When my parents die I will most likely live on the streets. Same with my brother who has absolutely NO income for his failing project. The best thing about my life is that I have good parents that don't abuse me. That is good at least, right? Oh yeah our van broke down this year to the point we were forced to buy a used van. To put in perspective we used to buy new cars outright and now we had to get used and had to do monthly payments. Another good thing though is my game will hopefully come out in 2 years.... hope it doesn't get canceled.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 6:46 pm

Lots of adversity. The gamut from domestic violence through poverty, my own children's struggles where due to my communication and social issues I was not the best advocate but I was determined, painful teen years. bullying, isolation, etc - I am told I am resilient and I am tired of being resilient. Still, I am trying to find some kind of peace. I have never been or felt equipped for what I have encountered. I just tenaciously got through on some kind of side-ways path. Here I am.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 7:49 pm

I always feel that my life has been extremely difficult, but most of you seem to have had it harder than I have/do.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 9:28 am

Well, I certainly haven't had a bad life like most, however it is FAR worse than anyone thinks by meeting me. My family was pretty good and although far from perfect they were loving, even if overprotective. My main challenge was facing nearly constant rejection growing up. From relatives, I was never abused but was always treated worst, especially compared to my brother. I still can't figure out why but I suspect part of it was how supposedly 'spoiled' I was at the dinner table because I couldn't eat what everyone else did because of my sensitivities. My relatives know where I live but none has ever tried to contact me (grandparents excluded).

In school, I was bullied both physically and emotionally and it's pretty obvious from my posts how bad it was. While being assaulted daily was hard (and being told to stop whining when I reported it), what was brutal was dealing with nearly constant rejection over and over again. I was forced to sit on the floor because no student wanted to sit next to me, I was constantly ridiculed by large groups (and in grade 8 the entire class turned on me) and nobody would believe me or help in school because it simply was beyond their realm of possibility that decent looking honor roll kids could be so cruel and I later found out the teachers (all first year ones) feared for their jobs by speaking up. What made it worse was that I saw nothing wrong or different about my behavior although it is obvious looking back.

Things did improve when I got a job and into the workplace (nobody could assault me anymore and open harassment was not tolerated), but I was still bullied by supervisors, managers and those looking to join their ranks but to be fair I've always been well liked and respected by my fellow worker bees. I also faced universal rejection in the dating scene until my recent GF and that's what was so hard to deal with. I was a decent person, good morals, high integrity, honest caring yet I was being rejected over and over again no matter where I went in life while supposed losers were getting the jobs, women and success.

Kyton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2012, 2:23 am

pretty hard, couldnt keep relationships at all, couldnt socialize at all for a large part of my life, when i was young i found out my mom was terminally ill and could literally die at any time which made me even more reserved from everything, dad didnt exactly know how to deal with me, siblings all hate me just because our mom took special care of me because i had a lot difficulty, and i am adopted(one of my sisters actually fought with my mom about it declaring i wasnt even her son)
i spent a little over a year in a residential hospital, and another 6 months or so in a group home because of how bad i was lashing out. mom passed away when iwas 21, im 25 now and i have auditory hallucinations frequently, ever since she passed her calling my name as become a regular one i hear.