Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

23 Nov 2012, 10:02 pm

Is autism really a brain difference? I don't understand how can you prof the difference between non autistic brain and autistic brain. Not all people with autism have that problem.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 10:04 pm

Brain scans, and yes, all people on the spectrum do have different brain wiring which is visible on these scans.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

23 Nov 2012, 10:25 pm

I don't you have test every autistic person before you can say that. Because I maybe misdx with autism.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 10:28 pm

Absolutely NO scientific theory is based on a study where they test ALL things of whatever they are trying to determine. They take a sample, and in this case, the sample shows that the autistic brain IS wired differently than the neurotypical brain.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Ewags
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Nov 2012, 10:29 pm

Do you believe Autism is not based in the brain?

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2012, 10:45 pm

It's widely known that all autistic characteristics in people are caused by a big toe that leans slightly inward. Nothing to do with the cpu. :roll:

EastWestCoastGirl

23 Nov 2012, 10:49 pm

Green89tom wrote:
I don't you have test every autistic person before you can say that. Because I maybe misdx with autism.

You may be; unfortunately that would be impossible for any of us on here to say. That's something for you to discover with the help of a professional.

EastWestCoastGirl

23 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm

I believe there's enough evidence across a range of people to show that it's likely autism is a brain difference. (You're saying v. an emotional difference or a chemical one, right?)

Ewags

23 Nov 2012, 11:11 pm

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
It's widely known that all autistic characteristics in people are caused by a big toe that leans slightly inward. Nothing to do with the cpu. :roll:

apparently

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 4:01 am

Ewags wrote:
Do you believe Autism is not based in the brain?

Provided they have one, hehe. Some people's amount of grey and white matter is not that staggering... :wink:

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 4:38 am

littlelily613 wrote:
Brain scans, and yes, all people on the spectrum do have different brain wiring which is visible on these scans.

Are there actually brain scans that can indicate someone's on the austism spectrum?

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 6:42 am

Green89tom wrote:
Is autism really a brain difference? I don't understand how can you prof the difference between non autistic brain and autistic brain. Not all people with autism have that problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18577327

"The researchers found 33 EEG patterns linked to autism" "EEG clearly distinguished children with autism from other peers in a trial involving nearly 1,000 children."

"The team now plan to repeat their study in children with Asperger's syndrome - one particular subset of autism. Typically, people with Asperger's have higher-than-average intelligence and struggle less than people with other types of autism with their speech."

(you note they differentiate between AS and autism and whilst the results may still correlate with people with AS, that is as yet unknown)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 152002.htm

"Brain Imaging Alone Cannot Diagnose Autism"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z2D8hNhWAK

"Results determining autism in adults were 90% accurate. It means children could benefit by being tested"

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/ ... stic-brain

"MRI Shows Differences in Autistic Brain"

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 8:39 am

Sethno wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

Are there actually brain scans that can indicate someone's on the austism spectrum?
No, unfortunately not; those would make diagnosis so much easier.

What you get is that if you take a group of autistics, and a group of NTs, and scan everybody, and compare the scans, you will find differences between the two groups. The trouble is that those differences aren't unique to autism, and that not everybody has all of them, so that you can't use the scans for diagnosis. All you can say is that autistic brains are predictably different from NT brains on a macroscopic level, because that's what brain scans can test.

On the microscale, we do have different connectivity, but once again it's not unique to autism and can't be used for diagnosis. And, anyway, a brain biopsy is a major undertaking that you don't do unless somebody's life is in danger.

Right now, behavioral interviews (i.e., asking somebody what their behavior or their child's behavior is like) are the most reliable diagnostic procedure for autism, despite there being observable brain differences, because those observable brain differences just aren't unique enough--the human brain is incredibly variable and flexible during development. Brain scans are still mostly used for diagnosing injuries and brain tumors, and the EEG for diagnosing and monitoring epilepsy.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 9:55 am

Well i hear it is a neurological difference, so that would indicate a brain difference as well or at least the brain working somewhat differently or something to that effect.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 11:52 am

Green89tom wrote:

You're diagnosed NVLD, right? In NVLD's case, diagnosis is pretty cut and dry. They run the IQ tests, and either you got it, or don't. It's not quite as subjective as Aspergers.

In my case, and likely your case, our NVLD pretty much acts like Aspergers practically, though we know the neurological cause of ours. Usually NVLD is right brain hemisphere issues. But, it acts and has the same symptoms of Aspergers, so it's Aspergers. Even Hans Asperger in his research made differentiations of AS caused by childhood or birth brain injury vs not caused.

So I think AS is more or less a conglomeration of neurological issues with similar, though not exact symptomology.

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2012, 4:30 pm

If NVLD caused by brain damage that stem cells can regrow the damage parts of the brain