Yes, I do; 25%  25%  [ 16 ]
No, I don't; 59%  59%  [ 38 ]
Other/I don't know. 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 64

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2012, 12:42 pm

I heard people saying that people with AS/autism lack of imagination, but I also heard other people saying that this is wrong and that people with AS/autism actually have a very good imagination. What do you think? For me, it depends. If I'm reading a book, I can imagine what's happening only if there are many and well-made description; about inventing a story, I have enough imagination to make a good story only if I can write a short sci-fi story, or else I can't. About drawing (if I must draw an original thing/character, and not a fictional one), I must think a bit about it, but the result is usually ok. What about you?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 12:50 pm

I always had a very strong imagination as a child. In fact I got so lost in my imagination that I got too carried away, and I looked crazy to even other kids in the playground. I used to pretend I was a clown at a circus, juggling balls, and I would walk around the playground flapping my arms up and down juggling these imaginary balls, for almost the whole duration of playtime. I probably looked like a right freak, even though a child with imagination is normal. I just went way too far.

I always get confused with this adult AS/Autism and imagination thing because how much imagination do adult NTs have?

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2012, 12:54 pm

This is one of those things associated with AS and ASDs that I was sure didn't fit me. Then I had my six-hour assessment wherein I realized, I have next to no imagination. Now I've had a few weeks to really process that idea and reflect on my childhood and I realized something; before Christmas, I'd always obsess over a few particular toys (Lego sets, micro-machines, some WCW wrestlers, etc.) and always have these grandiose ideas of how I was going to play with them and what stories I was going to re-enact, then when the Lego sets were built, the micro-machines were layed out and my WCW wrestlers were set up in their rink, I had absolutely no idea how to play with them, ha! I seriously never played with a single Lego set, despite having built hundreds(!). I mean, I don't think this is terribly uncommon but still, it was a revelation to realize. Like you, though, I can read Harry Potter, A Song of Ice and Fire and LoTRs and see very vivid imagery (though to be fair, those are some of the most imaginative, enjoyable pieces of literature on the planet).

As far as art is concerned; I can only draw things I see in my head, but I don't chalk this up to imagination as they're always simply amalgamations of landscaping I've seen, spliced together in a pleasing vista.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Nov 2012, 1:44 pm

I am quite imaginative creatively.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 1:54 pm

Kairi96 wrote:
I heard people saying that people with AS/autism lack of imagination, but I also heard other people saying that this is wrong and that people with AS/autism actually have a very good imagination. What do you think? For me, it depends. If I'm reading a book, I can imagine what's happening only if there are many and well-made description; about inventing a story, I have enough imagination to make a good story only if I can write a short sci-fi story, or else I can't. About drawing (if I must draw an original thing/character, and not a fictional one), I must think a bit about it, but the result is usually ok. What about you?

It's not imagination autistic people lack, it is social imagination which is a very different thing, and there is always confusion over this. Many autistic people are very imaginative and creative.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

EastWestCoastGirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Nov 2012, 2:14 pm

I have a humongous imagination! In fact, I live in my head about 90% of the time. :lol:

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2012, 3:26 pm

Yes and no,

At times I'm very pumped to write a bunch of stuff for Wikipedia, I got all the research down, I have everything researched, then I lose focus. This is especially for trying to submit some sarcastic funnies for Cracked.com, (a site for funny articles about how seriosly screwed up the world is). At times I have the next harry potter (trying to write about a young page (either gender, haven't decided yet, in the vein of Protector of the Small by Tamora Pierce, and other magicals about the tenacity of children, but with a Athiest point of view, or agnostic at least. coupled with my experience in Scouts), but I just can't work it out. I have sooo many ideas would it be trying to establish a networking society for high grades at my university, to coming up with ways, to make my mark and use my so called "Genius" Aspergers like skills that everyone says I have.

It seems that my skills and talent only manifest themselves from time to time, that either I'm on the bus or off the bus, or a skipping CD that plays sometimes, skips backwards, skips forwards skips in place, or plays normally. I'm very unpredictable and random. Some days I'm very good on my game, other days I'm very off, no matter how I try no matter how I nurture these.... and quite frankly it's bleeping me off. because. I want to do something, anything just to get out of this pothole, dips in the road that keep on bogging my car down. (ie a highway with crazy holes in the roads).

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 5:33 pm

No, I do not lack imagination. This conclusion is partly a misinterpretation of data, and partly by using an atypical definition of imagination,

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Nov 2012, 5:48 pm

I find it hard to picture a world in which I struggle to imagine.

AlmaBrown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Nov 2012, 6:01 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I always had a very strong imagination as a child. In fact I got so lost in my imagination that I got too carried away, and I looked crazy to even other kids in the playground. I used to pretend I was a clown at a circus, juggling balls, and I would walk around the playground flapping my arms up and down juggling these imaginary balls, for almost the whole duration of playtime. I probably looked like a right freak, even though a child with imagination is normal. I just went way too far.

I always get confused with this adult AS/Autism and imagination thing because how much imagination do adult NTs have?

This is me. As a child, I was constantly in my own head. Although, I should note that I always had complete control of my fantasy world. I didn't let my imagination run away with me but I constructed my own worlds with meticulous detail. Definitely odd and my teachers frequently got annoyed with me.

Now I use my imagination when I need to. I don't daydream unless I want to and I always will daydream about something I chose. I use it to visualize physics or chemistry problems. Basically, it's a tool much like concentration.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2012, 6:22 pm

I have an extremely vivid imagination; it is probably my greatest asset.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 6:58 pm

I don't have a very good imagination at all. It's not completely blank, but definitely not very vivid.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 7:05 pm

I have a very very weak imagination. My alexithymia includes the other traits that go with it that aren't the primary ones of lack of ability to identify, understand, and describe your own emotions, I have the other ones too, like the imagination problems.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2012, 7:41 pm

I lack imagination to the extreme. I just physically can't visualise stuff in my head (when reading for example) or make things up on the spot. So things like improvising acting I find fascinating because I just don't understand how people do it.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 9:01 pm

I don't have a lack of imagination. I just never played tea parties and dolls the way that supposedly imaginative children play.

andmott
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2012, 9:41 pm

I don't struggle with imagination, but social imagination. I can't understand the way others feel, why they feel like that, or how they might behave or respond in different circumstances. Over years I have come up with a few skills largely related to thinking about social situations logically, but never intuitively or naturally. I can label someone as sad or upset, but have trouble appreciating another persons feelings or viewpoints.

I can't put myself in other people's shoes, the reality doesn't register with me.