Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IceKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2012, 3:07 pm

What is New York City like? I'd like to move somewhere.

Hugs from IceKitten.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

07 Dec 2012, 1:43 pm

IceKitten wrote:
What is New York City like? I'd like to move somewhere.

Hugs from IceKitten.

Not a good place for aspies. I did a couple of interviews/callbacks there this fall.

All the rushing around makes me stressed, and there's really too much going on for someone who processes sensory stimuli as slowly as me.

Also, it's very crowded, but people are still ridiculously American about their personal space and rules about things like standing in qeue. It's not like Seoul or similar cities where nobody qeues. All in all, plenty of chances for someone with bad spatial awareness to f**k up. I probably got yelled at 12 times in my 3 trips this year for walking the wrong way or cutting in line unintentionally. :cry:

Speedy88
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2012, 2:02 pm

I dont live there, but Ive heard its very crowded and expensive, and hard to find a house to rent at a reasonable price.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 3:57 pm

I agree with the rest of the posts. Having relatives who live in NYC it's very crowded. The subway system is ok, but it's so crowded and at times confusing.

About the person who posted about Seoul, did you live or visit there?

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2012, 8:46 pm

As long as you avoid tourist-y areas, you're fine. :)
Subways can get quite crowded during morning/evening rush hour but that's kind of obvious..
NYC is a wonderful place for foodies

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 10:05 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
I agree with the rest of the posts. Having relatives who live in NYC it's very crowded. The subway system is ok, but it's so crowded and at times confusing.

About the person who posted about Seoul, did you live or visit there?

lived 1 year and 1.5 in Shenyang. So enough to get used to the lack of queuing/personal space. For someone with horrific spatial skills, not having to worry about other people's personal space in a crowded environment removes a big source of stress. I have a tendency to stand somewhere that gets in other people's way. In NY, they'll just stand there and blow up at you if you don't notice them and move for them, or they'll say something, and if there's lots of noise and confusion around, I may not hear it. In Asia, people will just shove right past you. I actually prefer it that way.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 7:21 am

i visited and loved it. i would like to live there very much. the tourist stuff didn't interest me, i liked just going "off the beaten track" where locals spent their time.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 7:23 am

hyperlexian wrote:
i liked just going "off the beaten track" where locals spent their time.

And you managed to retain your purse? :wink:

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 7:25 am

TallyMan wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i liked just going "off the beaten track" where locals spent their time.

And you managed to retain your purse? :wink:

hahaha yep. i even went to some "projects" and sat on a bench for a while just watching the people go by. if you hang out like you are meant to be there, people will take that at face value.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 8:30 am

Because NYC is so crowded, I think all the pedestrian traffic develops a necessary flow to it that a person can try to pick up on.

I did drive there once though and didn't care for that much.

khnk222

10 Dec 2012, 7:42 am

I have been interested in living New York for a while. I probably would be better off living somewhere else though. I'm not really sure where I should live. I live in Virginia right now and it's pretty boring. EDIT: New York probably isn't a very good place for germophobic OCD aspies.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 8:38 am

Where in Virginia?

I remember the subways in Seoul and how clean they were. But the shoving and pushing was annoying. Don't touch me I would tell people!

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

012sars210
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2012, 3:15 pm

I'm from Virginia! Raised there, now living in NYC.

Here's the thing about this city. IT'S AMAZING. But you have to be able to keep yourself grounded. It's loud. It's crowded. You'll want to claw your eyes out on multiple occasions.

I don't go anywhere without headphones so that I can focus on the music instead of the chatter around me.

HAND SANITIZER IN MY PURSE AT ALL TIMES.

To be honest, I feel that NYC has helped me in a lot of ways. Virginia was so...dull that I wasn't forced to interact with as many people on a daily basis and deal with a lot that I am uncomfortable with. In NYC you just have no choice with some stuff. I feel better equipped to take care of myself and handle other people living in this city for the past 3 years of my life than I did an entire childhood/adolescence in VA.

Edited to say that if you live in Northern VA and have any experience at all with the Metro system you will find the NYC Subway system much easier to navigate. Signs EVERYWHERE. If you can keep a level head and keep calm there is no getting lost.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 4:07 am

012sars210 wrote:

Here's the thing about this city. IT'S AMAZING. But you have to be able to keep yourself grounded. It's loud. It's crowded. You'll want to claw your eyes out on multiple occasions.

I don't go anywhere without headphones so that I can focus on the music instead of the chatter around me.

To be honest, I feel that NYC has helped me in a lot of ways. Virginia was so...dull that I wasn't forced to interact with as many people on a daily basis and deal with a lot that I am uncomfortable with. In NYC you just have no choice with some stuff. I feel better equipped to take care of myself and handle other people living in this city for the past 3 years of my life than I did an entire childhood/adolescence in VA.

[b]Edited to say that if you live in Northern VA and have any experience at all with the Metro system you will find the NYC Subway system much easier to navigate. Signs EVERYWHERE. If you can keep a level head and keep calm there is no getting lost.[/b]

This is definitely a matter of opinion. If you mean the D.C. subway that goes into NoVA, then I highly disagree. The whole ABCD and numbers mixed in in NYC is confusing. Also can't cross from one side of the platform to the other in many places. I got around the subway in multiple cities worldwide just fine (Singapore, Beijing, Seoul, Paris). Have a horrible time in NYC.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:16 pm

I always wanted to go there, but ONLY if I have money and in company of someone else. I´d be too scared. I´m not used to such big sities. I was almost all around in Europe except for France and few other countries, especially in the Eastern part of Europe, but I have never been in a city that counts ten million of people and more. I was ALONE in London last year and it was scary as f**k, especially after sundown.

khnk222

15 Dec 2012, 5:18 am

012sars210 wrote:

Edited to say that if you live in Northern VA and have any experience at all with the Metro system you will find the NYC Subway system much easier to navigate. Signs EVERYWHERE. If you can keep a level head and keep calm there is no getting lost.
I think some of the reason you think NYC has helped you is really just that you're older and more used to doing more normal/typical things. Thanks for your opinion on the matter, I still find New York kind of appealing.