Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

UnseenSkye
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2012, 12:13 am

Major phobia about blood draws and airline white knuckle flyer since 1994. Your turn to "one up" me.

The_Postmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2012, 12:46 am

Can't one up that, but I might be able to match it. Major phobias about spiders and elevators for me, so also two.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2012, 1:05 am

Emetophobia (phobia of vomiting) since about 2008 and maybe low-end agoraphobia. Giving blood and going to the dentist set my anxiety up to about 9/10 but don't quite push me over the edge. Unfortunately, I have hypothyroidism, so I have to my blood drawn every few months.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 1:10 am

Fear of other people vomiting, though not necessarily me, big fear of spiders (freaked out in a bio class once when my teacher brought in a giant wolf spider), nervous of clowns and the ocean, general anxiety regarding public speaking (though can cause panic attacks in the right circumstances), fear of small enclosed spaces from which there is no escape, though elevators aren't too bad, and fear of gas masks (stemming from a super scary Dr. Who episode involving possessed children in WWII). Yeah, I'm a big chicken.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 1:20 am

Mine is fear of ominous words but I don't know what its phobia name is. When I encounter a word in any text I'm reading that I consider somehow ominous or undesirable, I must touch the printed word five times with my fingertips. And then another five times, just in case. Maybe a third round. Fourth? Normally the fifth set of five touches is what I end up with. Needless to add, I find a huge collection of words ominous.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 1:28 am

StarTrekker wrote:
…stemming from a super scary Dr. Who episode involving possessed children in WWII…

This very episode is definitely something I should never have watched. I can still hear the kid crying "Are you my mama? Mama, where are you? Mama?" And the gasmasks popping up from their throats!

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2012, 2:53 am

Krabo wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
…stemming from a super scary Dr. Who episode involving possessed children in WWII…

This very episode is definitely something I should never have watched. I can still hear the kid crying "Are you my mama? Mama, where are you? Mama?" And the gasmasks popping up from their throats!

You should rewatch the episode. I think a lot of people block the essence of the ending out, because they're too busy being scared (and for good reason). It's suddenly not so scary when you take in what had actually been happening.

Last edited by iggy64 on 25 Nov 2012, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 3:21 am

iggy64 wrote:
Krabo wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

You should rematch the episode. I think a lot of people block the essence of the ending out, because they're too busy being scared (and for good reason). It's suddenly not so scary when you take in what had actually been happening.

Do me a favour and just tell me what the ending was supposed to be about, because I'm sure never watching that episode again! Only episode of Dr. Who that ever really scared me.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2012, 3:41 am

StarTrekker wrote:
iggy64 wrote:
Krabo wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

You should rematch the episode. I think a lot of people block the essence of the ending out, because they're too busy being scared (and for good reason). It's suddenly not so scary when you take in what had actually been happening.

Do me a favour and just tell me what the ending was supposed to be about, because I'm sure never watching that episode again! Only episode of Dr. Who that ever really scared me.

Ok, sure. Be warned, I am completely incapable of summarising doctor who in a short piece of writing, I'll try not to go on.

Captain jack was trying to run a scam on the time agents (who turned out not to be time agents, but doctor and rose) so his "empty" med container was dumped on a future bomb site. The nano genes (tiny robotic doctors) escaped, and the first thing they came across was a dead child wearing a gas mask(jamie). They assumed that this was the 100% healthy version of the human race, and set out to heal anyone who came close to the now living boy (since they sustained him with their crazy tech). The doctor meet nancy, who leads homeless children around finding food, and is informed not to let the gas mask child touch you, and that he is called jamie, her brother.

At the end of the episode, nancy reveals (well, i think the doctor figures it out actually)she had a teenage pregnancy, and the gas mask boy she said was her mother is actually her son. Finally realising she can't run from him, she goes and hugs him. The confused namco genes recognise the similarities between their genes, since they are blood relatives, and adjust their template, healing everyone who was affected by the gas mask abnormality, including Jamie who was dead at the start. And so Moffat begins his writing, with his mantra "everybody lives!".

So, it's not so scary, just some tech that needs recalibrating and a boy who is scared and wants his mummy, but everyone is running from him.

Oh dear. I told you it would be long.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 6:53 am

UnseenSkye wrote:
Major phobia about blood draws and airline white knuckle flyer since 1994. Your turn to "one up" me.

I have the following phobias: (thanatophobia [death], claustrophobia [enclosed spaces], acrophobia [heights], arachnophobia [spiders] & entomophobia [insects], lepidopterophobia [butterflies], mottephobia [moths], apiphobia/melissophobia [bees], spheksophobia [wasps], flying [aviophobia] and probably others, as I'm generally a fearful person.

You did ask for one-upmanship!

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 11:33 am

I have:-

Fear of spiders
Fear of vomiting
Fear of fires (bonfires don't count)
Fear of snow
Fear of rejection/humiliation
Fear of death

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 12:46 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Only episode of Dr. Who that ever really scared me.

I share this feeling with you. It may have been the previous episode where the kid first appeared – night scene, factory ruins – and even if he looked like just a lost child wearing a gasmask, he was frightening. Maybe it was his monotonous cry. And no, it can't be that. A crying kid should raise feelings of pity, not fear. Well, I'm not going to refresh my memory by watching it EVER again.

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2012, 12:52 am

Current fears =

Death
Rejection
Ridicule
Abuse
Being along, as much as I hate being around other people
Homelessness
The Future

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2012, 2:26 am

My biggest fear right now is PEOPLE..not frightened from them..but the fear of being around people puts me off even trying to make friends..as they always turn out to be idiots..well the one's i have met so far!

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2012, 3:16 am

I have coulrophobia (fear of clowns) and masklophobia (fear of mascots or people wearing masks). My psychiatrist says it's because I associate them with pedophiles (I was sexually abused as a child).

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 9:59 am

I'm not afraid of much but I hate blood draws.