Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2012, 1:21 am

"I'm from England. Where the history comes from" Eddie Izzard

I'm a history major at the University of Cincinnati. I have developed the deepest level of admiration and respect for Europe. From the days of feudal lords and knights all the way up to the present Europe just seems like a magical place to me. Full of history and wonder

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 4:35 am

I find it odd that you say three cheers for the British, and then talk about 'Europe', I think mostly because whenever I talk to my fellow Englishmen they seem as if they've forgotten they're European at all. xD

But, maybe that's just the ones I've been speaking to.

Nikkt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2012, 7:52 am

In reply to the question "what's the best outcome for my child?", asked by parents to ASD expert/psychologist Tony Attwood, he replies "They'll become British!"

He goes on to say "The British understand eccentricity. In any other country, if you are interested in toilet brushes, or collecting old washing machines, you're referred to a psychiatrist. In Britain, they make a documentary about you and call it the Antiques Roadshow."

:D

http://linguisticautistic.tumblr.com/

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 9:01 am

I'm a lifelong Anglophile, too.

belladaisy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Nov 2012, 10:45 pm

Yes, I love English history too, as my avatar suggests :)

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 2:28 am

Nikkt wrote:
He goes on to say "The British understand eccentricity. In any other country, if you are interested in toilet brushes, or collecting old washing machines, you're referred to a psychiatrist. In Britain, they make a documentary about you and call it the Antiques Roadshow."

:D

Hmm. I wish this was true. In reality, those with an In depth knowledge of something that isn't "social norm" might well end up on one of the many antique shows, but before that they face years of ridicule from people their own age, younger or older. It's not so different really. (although, I suppose there is the Gaelic heritage :D )