Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 9:09 pm

scrulie wrote:
scrulie wrote:
Just found this too about characteristics of people with RH-

Oops!
http://www.myusm.com/usm370628.html
there!

INTERESTING! That is the kind of thing I have been aluding to, but I do, or did have some of these traits!

1. predominance of green or hazel eyes that change color like a chameleon, but also blue eyes (My eyes WERE blue, they are kind of green/gray. Some say they ARE blue. But HEY, I am certainly not color blind. The center apparantly has some brown, and CAN give the APPEARANCE of color changing.)

2. true red or reddish hair (My beard is kind of reddish)

3. low pulse rate (I DID have an abnormally low pulse. I still remember being embarassed how low it was. Only ONE other guy in my class came close, and the reason given for him was that he exercised a lot. I didn't. As I recall, my pulse was 50 or 55. Most others were like 10+ above that.)

5. keen sight or hearing (Well, there IS the autistic sensory skewing, does THAT count? My vision USED to be perfect)

6. ESP (I USED to have it at least)

7. extra rib or vertabrae (unknown. 8-( I don't have a tail though, and the extra vertebrae may be talking about that. That is another thing some negative people are supposed to have.)

9. love of space and science (HEY, that's me!)

10. a sense of not belonging to the human race (ME AGAIN!)

11. piercing eyes (In what way?)

12. para-normal occurrences (In what way?)

13. physic dreams (YEP!)

14. truth seekers (YEP!)

15. desire for higher wisdom (YEP!)

17. deep compassion for fate of mankind (YEP! OK, not so much NOW, but who can blame me?)

18. a sense of a 'mission' in life (YEP! I never found out what it was. I guess it stopped in my teens.)

19. physic abilities (YEP!)

I HAVE been curious about that tail. Does anyone here have one, or did they? It is apparantly very short, so they are about the only ones that may know. Negative blood is SO rare that this might be the best place to check it out.

I just checked. My father is B+. I am AB+. That means my mother could be + or -, but has to be AB or B. She says she IS +, and thinks she is AB.

BTW If I father a child, it could be A, B, or AB(Depending on the Mother and what I contribute). If my mother is +, the child would have to be +. So I DO have the A allele, and possibly the negative gene.

Steve

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 9:39 pm

I don't know

mizkathy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2006, 2:10 am

A+

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 6:17 am

scrulie wrote:
scrulie wrote:
Just found this too about characteristics of people with RH-

Oops!
http://www.myusm.com/usm370628.html
there!

Interesting site, but with no references, unfortunately. I will research blood-type in the next Aspie-quiz. From this WP-poll, it seems quite likely that Aspies are much higher than normal in A-. This also fits the world-distribution of the blood-types. Both A and RH- are more common in Europe, just as autism is.

It is probably true that both red hair and hazel eye-color is correlated with RH-. This correlation likely is indirect via autism, because both these traits are more common in autistics.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 6:47 am

Rdos,

This needs to be considered against expected norms. A is NOT a meaningful indicator, as it is EXPECTED to be very high. Only O should maybe be higher, and even that is not by much. The really telling thing, the one that isn't expected, is the RH Negative. That should be practically non existant, like less than 5%.

Having said that, RH+ CAN have some of the RH- genes. Who is to say that my grandparents didn't have some RH - blood types?

ALSO, the fact that it is so big in europe isn't meaningful for 2 reasons. That is where the RH - blood is from, and most people there are caucasion which is over represented. Now the red hair DOES narrow things down a bit. That is probably an irish or scottish trait. Still, there at least WERE a LOT of people even in the US with Irish heritage. I, for example, am part Irish.

SO, do your poll, by all means, but don't present statistics as meaningful unless they are outside of expectations. As I recall, expectations are A and O, B, AB are popular in that order. A and O are about equal, with O being maybe a bit more popular. B is FAR less popular(I think it is like 5%), and AB is even less popular still(I think it is less than 3%). RH- should be far less popular than RH+(As I recall it is like 5%). So HEY, if we had a few more AB people, THAT would be more interesting than all the As we have.

BTW isn't it interesting that so many As and Os get together? I mean if you didn't have people with only O mating, O would become less popular. If B, or AB, got together with more other types, B and AB could become far more popular. It almost makes it look like A and O tend to be more social. The RH neg is insignificant here because it is a recessive trait, and so many mothers may have trouble having RH NEG children. A lot of people talk about how RH NEG mothers may get sensitized to RH pos babies, but I think RH pos mothers could also endanger RH neg babies.

Steve

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 11:32 am

SteveK wrote:
Having said that, RH+ CAN have some of the RH- genes. Who is to say that my grandparents didn't have some RH - blood types?

Steve, there are two types of Rh+: +/- (heterozygous) and +/+ (homozygous). A +/+ male can produce only a + offspring while a +/- male can produce either a + or - offspring. It would be interesting to see if autistics who are Rh+ are heterozygous or homozygous.

Strictly anecdotally, my husband who definitely has AS traits is heterozygous, as 3 of our 5 children are Rh- even though he is Rh+.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 11:36 am

Right now 59% of the respondants are Rh-... compare this to a 15% general population trend. I know these polls aren't scientific, but the results are so extreme. 8O I hope some researcher comes across this thread!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 3:13 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Steve, there are two types of Rh+: +/- (heterozygous) and +/+ (homozygous). A +/+ male can produce only a + offspring while a +/- male can produce either a + or - offspring. It would be interesting to see if autistics who are Rh+ are heterozygous or homozygous.

Strictly anecdotally, my husband who definitely has AS traits is heterozygous, as 3 of our 5 children are Rh- even though he is Rh+.

Regarding the RH - percentages, I mentioned that in both threads. And YEAH, you have a point here. My father might even be heterozygous. So what would be the best way for me to find out if I am?

It is especially interesting because I DO have some unusual traits, even without the autism, and they match up with some that site said were RH NEG traits. And WHO KNOWS!? Now that I think about it, how do I REALLY know I didn't even have a tail? As I said, I knew a girl that had 12 fingers. They chopped two off! Her hands looked pretty normal.

There is so much you just never know from being so young, etc....

BTW I told my step mother my case for AS! I don't know if she got it. She tried to push me to get tested. But she knows now. It turns out SHE knew about AS for SEVEN YEARS! She served on a board to decide how public funds should be distributed to certain groups, and she heard about AS because it was considered Autism. One member(who was an ATTORNEY of all things) had AS, and she constantly said the unvarnished truth, without restraint. I used to do that all the time. Everyone HATED it! 8-/

Steve

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 3:38 pm

I'm O+

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 3:45 pm

SteveK wrote:
This needs to be considered against expected norms. A is NOT a meaningful indicator, as it is EXPECTED to be very high. Only O should maybe be higher, and even that is not by much.

I know that, Steve. The absolute figures are not very indicative by themselves. I will do just as I did with hair-color and eye-color. I would put all the alternatives in the quiz introduction. Then I will compare frequences between those that score higher on Aspie-score with those that score higher on NT score. That gives me the relative differences between the groups. This approach was successful in proving the higher prevalence of red hair, and it was also (ultimately) successful in proving the higher prevalence of brown/hazel eye color. To begin with, I didn't expect the latter, but it was evident after grouping certain alternatives together and looking at gender-specific rating differences.

SteveK wrote:
The really telling thing, the one that isn't expected, is the RH Negative. That should be practically non existant, like less than 5%.

Yes, I agree that RH- is most telling. It would require a far smaller population to prove than A. However, since thousands of people are likely to answer the quiz, this will not be a problem. BTW, in an older poll, already with no "don't know" alternative, the Aspie frequency of RH- is 15%!

SteveK wrote:

Yes, RH+ people can have one RH- allele, but it doesn't matter when you compare groups. These things will "average out".

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 3:59 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
Right now 59% of the respondants are Rh-... compare this to a 15% general population trend. I know these polls aren't scientific, but the results are so extreme. 8O I hope some researcher comes across this thread!

The figure 59% is likely a bit too high, but it is still way above the 15% in the general Caucasian population. The main problem with these WP-polls is that they attract people that have one exact trait, and thus tend to overrate. When the question is put in a quiz with 150 other questions, there will be no selection bias for people with specific ABO-groups.

Even though Aspie-quiz is not yet published, it still attracts interest from scientists, and so will perhaps influence them (at least in the long run).

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

05 Jan 2007, 1:43 am

My sister is O+ is all I know.

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jan 2007, 4:15 pm

I'm O-