Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Druidus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Dec 2006, 7:34 pm

I have always had problems with school. Rarely was it in any way interesting. I loved to learn, but I wanted to learn about the things I was interested in. I got good grades because what I learned on my own time was enough. But now I'm trying to finish my last year, and I really can't get motivated to do the work, or read the books. Every moment I spend at it frustrates me. It bores me to the point where I'd rather pace for hours than do it.

I've got to find a way to finish it, though. It's very important that I do.

Does anyone else deal with this, and, if so, how?

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2006, 8:47 pm

Ya, i always loved to learn, and especially read, but like you said, i wanted to learn what I wanted to learn. School is so imposing, making you do boring, uninteresting things. I could do very well if i could do my own curriculum, self taught, with some guidance.

I try to motivate myself by making myself believe that what i am learning truely is interesting. Kind of a mind game. And if i can't, i just sit down and make myself plug along, however painful. But i have to refuse to think about time, or every minute then hour then hours that go by that i haven't gotten done what i need to or not gotten done enough of it to justify that amount of time, the more stressed i get and the less i can do.

Try to take breaks occasionally, but not too many or you'll end up using the breaks to procrastinate again. I like to snack on something crunchy too to have something mindless to do, kinda like stimming, while i work. And just keep going.

And ya, pacing around the room or staring into space is better than school any day :wink:

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

20 Dec 2006, 10:52 pm

Sounds like inattentive ADHD:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/adhd.cfm

Quote:
Inattention

Children who are inattentive have a hard time keeping their minds on any one thing and may get bored with a task after only a few minutes. If they are doing something they really enjoy, they have no trouble paying attention. But focusing deliberate, conscious attention to organizing and completing a task or learning something new is difficult.

Homework is particularly hard for these children. They will forget to write down an assignment, or leave it at school. They will forget to bring a book home, or bring the wrong one. The homework, if finally finished, is full of errors and erasures. Homework is often accompanied by frustration for both parent and child.

The DSM-IV-TR gives these signs of inattention:
Often becoming easily distracted by irrelevant sights and sounds
Often failing to pay attention to details and making careless mistakes
Rarely following instructions carefully and completely losing or forgetting things like toys, or pencils, books, and tools needed for a task
Often skipping from one uncompleted activity to another.

Children diagnosed with the Predominantly Inattentive Type of ADHD are seldom impulsive or hyperactive, yet they have significant problems paying attention. They appear to be daydreaming, "spacey," easily confused, slow moving, and lethargic. They may have difficulty processing information as quickly and accurately as other children. When the teacher gives oral or even written instructions, this child has a hard time understanding what he or she is supposed to do and makes frequent mistakes. Yet the child may sit quietly, unobtrusively, and even appear to be working but not fully attending to or understanding the task and the instructions.

These children don't show significant problems with impulsivity and overactivity in the classroom, on the school ground, or at home. They may get along better with other children than the more impulsive and hyperactive types of ADHD, and they may not have the same sorts of social problems so common with the combined type of ADHD. So often their problems with inattention are overlooked. But they need help just as much as children with other types of ADHD, who cause more obvious problems in the classroom.

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2006, 2:43 am

I motivate myself by focusing on what I gain if I succeed as well as I lose if I fail.