What do you do when you think people dislike you?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2012, 10:30 pm

Or perhaps a more fun title would be:

What wacky things have you done when you perceived that a person (or group of people) dislikes you?

I'm personally very avoidant. I avoid, disappear, do all kinds of things to avoid the horrible anxiety of being disliked.

Sometimes I feel ignored too. One time someone ignored me completely for a reason I couldn't understand (I'd always been cordial).....of course they have a right to ignore me, but it was upsetting nonetheless. So I decided to wear this outrageous wig one day just to get their attention. The person did say, "Hey, cool wig!" after ignoring me for days, so I felt at peace with that person.... From then on, I decided to avoid the person completely and the place the person frequents. (This was to avoid any future scenarios of feeling rejected/ignored)

Have any of you done anything similar, or just acted strangely due to a feeling of being unloved/unwanted/rejected/ignored?

Usually, I have a strong urge to withdraw when people are starting to distance themselves, because my anxiety does cause me to behave strangely and I don't want people further put off by that :? :(

Last edited by tjr1243 on 25 Nov 2012, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 11:07 pm

Yeah, I know the feeling for sure. For me, though, I don't tend to feel that people grow to dislike me, but rather that I made a good first impression but couldn't take it any further than that. A couple years ago, I would behave in a lot of uncharacteristic, weird ways to try to gain acceptance and attention, but I've stopped doing that because it's a strategy that doesn't work. My strategy nowadays is just to withdraw, or keep doing things the way I am and hope for the best.

In school, no one ever talks to me because they see me as a freak, a ret*d(I hate to use that word but I think it perfectly captures the way some people see me), or someone who just doesn't want to interact with people. Years ago, I had a lot of people try to approach me, but I guess I've conditioned them not to with my own behavior. Either that or people are just way less friendly in high school.

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2012, 11:22 pm

UnLoser wrote:
Yeah, I know the feeling for sure. For me, though, I don't tend to feel that people grow to dislike me, but rather that I made a good first impression but couldn't take it any further than that. A couple years ago, I would behave in a lot of uncharacteristic, weird ways to try to gain acceptance and attention, but I've stopped doing that because it's a strategy that doesn't work. My strategy nowadays is just to withdraw, or keep doing things the way I am and hope for the best.

In school, no one ever talks to me because they see me as a freak, a ret*d(I hate to use that word but I think it perfectly captures the way some people see me), or someone who just doesn't want to interact with people. Years ago, I had a lot of people try to approach me, but I guess I've conditioned them not to with my own behavior. Either that or people are just way less friendly in high school.

I'm slowly getting to that point... I wish I could withdraw a lot sooner before things get really uncomfortable. The trouble is, when I'm around, people see me as a freak and they ignore me but then reach out when I start to withdraw, so I think (perhaps wrongly) that they really wanted me around, so I don't withdraw initially. So it is hard to tell whether I am really burning bridges when I interact with people at the time.... but gradually my anxiety worsens considerably and my behavior does eventually put people off. So eventually I withdraw completely.

p.s. i edited the original post so sorry if i deleted some relevant things you addressed in your reply

Last edited by tjr1243 on 25 Nov 2012, 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm

Hmmm. I do one of two things because I may get overwhelmed in that scenario. Either I will avoid the person, or do what I can to push them away.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 11:43 pm

This is kind of a weird thing for me. Generally when people dislike me it's not important enough for me to even care. If I like someone it bothers me if they appear to dislike me but I have such a hard time recognizing whether they like me or dislike me that the inability to decide is overload for me and I just end up withdrawing either way. Often I will end up withdrawing even if they appear to like me. I did this (again) about 6 months ago with a really nice couple I met at a dog park. The thing is there have only been a few people in my life that I liked. I'm not cold, I've literally risked my life to help people, but whether they liked me or not wasn't something that crossed my mind before or after.

madnak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2012, 12:14 am

I leave and feel bad for awhile.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 12:31 am

I do nothing about it. I don't care if people don't like me or not. I am not there to impress them. Plus I can't tell if people don't like me or not unless they make it that obvious. Not talking to me doesn't tell me they don't like me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

26 Nov 2012, 12:33 am

Turn their back on their sorry a**es.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2012, 12:49 am

I do the avoidant thing as well, and when I'm around them, I can't function.

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2012, 1:02 am

^Avoid them. Forever.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2012, 1:23 am

Haters gonna hate.

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2012, 2:17 am

I also tend to avoid people if i feel that they dislike me..but sometimes although i try not to be like this..i hold a grudge against the person..and tend never to talk to them again :lol:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 2:49 am

I continue as normal.

TheTigress wrote:
Haters gonna hate.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 2:51 am

I avoid people that I think dislike me.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2012, 3:12 am

Well, I have a hard time knowing if people like me or not. But, if I know they don't, it doesn't really bother me. Maybe it should, but it doesn't. Why? Because this planet is filled with all different kinds of people, and some personalities mix well together and some don't. It's nothing personal, it's just a fact. We, being on the spectrum, can be difficult for some people to like. I'll be the first to admit that my social skills are not the greatest. I try to be kind and polite to people, but ultimately I refuse to be anything other than myself. Some will find my quirks endearing, others will find them off-putting. And that's fine. Some people just won't like me. I guess I'm not the kind of person who needs approval from others.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 4:08 am

I have a tendency to call people out on their bad behavior, or at least ask them what their problem is. Usually, this only backfires, as a person who already doesn't like me decides to not like me even more.

I've even seen this in action on this very website among alleged aspies. When misunderstood and trying to elaborate, they'll only berate me further.

I guess a lot of people don't like being called out on their BS and will get even more hostile, or simply put their fingers in their ears. I could never do that, in good conscience, but many people don't like explaining why they behave the way they do. But they already don't like me, so I figure I might as well address the issue instead of playing whatever game it is NTs naturally play.