Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MisterCosgrove
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2012, 12:50 am

So, I just want to start my finding myself from scratch. Is it possibly allowed if one seeks a diagnosis again of something they were already diagnosed with? I want to start the whole process all over again.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2012, 2:44 am

It might be a pre-occupation forming in a potentially bad way if you are aspie, so depends why you want the re-diagnosis?

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 2:50 am

I can't imagine why you would want to be re-diagnosed...unless you are questioning whether or not you really have it?

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 4:47 am

I don't know where you live, but the people diagnosing you will probably want to see your previous medical history, including a previous diagnosis. So in that sense, no, you can't go back to "scratch."

You'll probably have to specify that you're seeking rediagnosis, either to corroborate or disprove a past diagnosis.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2012, 4:53 am

I know that my son is required to be 'rediagnosed' or a least have it confirmed again when he is 16 - for funding etc

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Nov 2012, 5:45 am

Might it be appropriate for some of us to be rediagnosed under the upcoming new DSM-V?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 9:16 am

I was thinking that, too, glider18--it would be better for the OP to wait until the new DSM definitions come out in 2013 and get a diagnosis that will be relevant then.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 9:20 am

Diagnosis expire over a certain number of years. I remember when I tried to use my diagnosis in order to stop the expulsion from school they said that diagnosis was expired and I had to re-diagnose.

MisterCosgrove
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2012, 3:28 pm

What will the pros and cons be to the post-2013 diagnosis (as compared to DSM-IV)? Wouldn't I either be moved into the spectrum or have my spectrum label dissolved all together? I know my OP sounded stupid too.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 4:15 pm

Roman wrote:
Diagnosis expire over a certain number of years. I remember when I tried to use my diagnosis in order to stop the expulsion from school they said that diagnosis was expired and I had to re-diagnose.

How is that? ASDs are a lifelong condition which you can't lose. The only thing that changes is with learned skills and fluctuations in levels of traits according to things like life experience, and things like anxiety heightening symptoms. You can't change the fact that you have an ASD (presuming here that you were correctly diagnosed).

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 11:56 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Roman wrote:

How is that? ASDs are a lifelong condition which you can't lose. The only thing that changes is with learned skills and fluctuations in levels of traits according to things like life experience, and things like anxiety heightening symptoms. You can't change the fact that you have an ASD (presuming here that you were correctly diagnosed).

The policy of expiry of diagnosis is general for all mental conditions, all "expire" within fixed number of years. So its not really about autism or anything else for that matter, but more about general policy. The reason I brought it up is that if OP wants to start from scratch for whatever reason, I guess this policy is the place to start: just wait enough years for previous diagnosis to expire.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 12:02 am

MisterCosgrove wrote:
What will the pros and cons be to the post-2013 diagnosis (as compared to DSM-IV)? Wouldn't I either be moved into the spectrum or have my spectrum label dissolved all together? I know my OP sounded stupid too.

There will be a new section, "social communication disorder", which will be outside of autism spectrum. So there will probably be three groups of people

1. The group that is moved from Asperger to broader "autism spectrum"
2. The group moved outside of autism spectrum into "social communication" disorder
3. The group undiagnosed altogether

By scanning the criteria I believe I will fall into category 2. By the way I think category 3 will have very few people, thanks to category 2.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Nov 2012, 7:36 am

I'm in a weird thinking mood this morning---so forgive me for these odd thoughts. I guess they're odd thoughts.

Please realize---I am being satirical here.

Possible reasons for the new DSM-V criteria for autism?:

*Since there has been so much concern over the increase in cases of autism these days, the new DSM-V will see to it to decrease those numbers so that the world can be comforted in knowing that it is not going autistic.

*The new DSM-V is the new cure for autism. By implementing its criteria, many autistic individuals will no longer be autistic. Wow, what a cure!

*In the hardships of these rough economical times, the psychiatry field is also suffering financially. The new DSM-V will be able to relieve those financial woes by allowing many individuals to once again require the services of psychiatrists in seeking a new diagnosis. And in comes more money for the doctors.

Ok...Now being serious.

Just how many years is a diagnosis good for?