Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 12:04 am

I find that I think in black & white, all the time. There are no shades of grey, in between. I either stay up very late, or I go to bed, very early. I either keep busy from dawn to dusk, or I veg out, all day. I either watch TV for 12 hours, when the Olympics are on, or I don't watch TV, at all. I either go on about Routemasters, or else I go a whole entire day on this site, without talking about them. I either cook a big meal, or else I buy a Rotissery Chicken and spread that through the week. I either eat very hearty, or I eat barely enough to get by. I either listen to music on LPs, CDs or my laptop, or I don't listen to music, at all. I'm either happy, or depressed. There is no in-between for me.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 12:06 am

I tend to be a black-and-white thinker as well. There is right, then there is wrong. Someone is nice, or mean. It's a good day, or a bad. I can't think of a time where something has been mixed, or grey.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 12:20 am

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that possible deal. I guess I should REALLY be careful. :(
I have enough trouble being understood.

Steve

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 2:32 am

Think in black and white. I don’t get it. Republican Christians think in black and white. I don’t believe in good or evil but try to understand why people behave the way they do. Things are more complicated then that.

Have you ever studied basic programming? It is common knowledge that the GOTO statement is bad and many programming languages don’t support it for that reason. Very black and white thinking. It is more accurate to say that the GOTO statement can be good in the rarest of situations like in some error handling situation.

In the system development industry, their thinking has become very black-and-white: Object Oriented Design is good Procedural and Functional programming is bad. C was a bad programming language so Procedural methodology is bad too, chuck the baby out with the bath water.

I been to the biggest bookshop in London and I can’t find a modern book on Procedural or functional programming mythologies. The over use of over completed Object Oriented design has made system slow. Example JAVA it is a very ugly bloated programming language.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 3:04 am

I'm a writer.

Nuff said.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

21 Dec 2006, 6:13 am

My first-off thinking is black-and-white, however I find that my 'second layer' thinking allows for the grey areas. Get deeper and other colours start to show up as well, which is when things get confusing, even for me :D

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 6:52 am

I think and process thoughts Black & White being Textbook AS.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 7:30 am

Actually GOTO is one of the most important and useful statements around. Some IDIOT decided that too many people overused goto statements and created "spagetti code", and bad mouthed them. My favorite example is things like an error routine, but certainly not the only one! Creating a good error routine isn't possible to efficiently do without a goto. One time, a junior programmer changed a program I wrote. She did it WRONG! It ran for 7 YEARS, and then we had CONSTANT problems! The reason?????

Use of GOTO......

GOTO X
PROCESS
CONTINUE!

STUPID MORONIC REPLACEMENT.....

PERFORM/GOSUB/ETC.....
PROCESS
RESOLVE ADDRESS SOMEHOW(On things like error routines this means LOTS of extra code or use of obscure and/or non portable logic that rarely exists. Such problems CAN occur elsewhere, but more predictable problems can be handled via structured code, though such code CAN start to actually get harder to understand.)
CONTINUE!

Well, she didn't know she somehow had to resolve the address. That led to a potential castrophe. I have seen DISKS get wiped out by such garbage! Luckily, the temporaries they hired made WAY to many mistakes and caused a "stack overflow". The stack was being senselessly used because some jerk someplace figured you didn't need gotos. It makes things harder, less efficient, and more dangerous!

YEAH, I know you said it might be needed, and mentioned error problems, but I figured I would say why.

BTW so WHY did it take 7 YEARS to show up? Because MY code was correct, and the stack overflow required the user to make the same mistake OVER and OVER and OVER again! Obviously, the temp they hired was pretty stupid.

BTW the avoidance of GOTO might be, in part, due to the stupid design of COBOL. In COBOL a goto will do procedures in turn. A perform does only the one procedure(unless told otherwise), and returns. Most languages have a clear intuitive passage of control. COBOL doesn't. You actually can't know where COBOL is going unless you know how it got there. That is true EVEN if you don't use goto! Then again, with other languages, a return could end up ANYPLACE if you use a perform/gosub as a goto.

One more thing. YEAH, I know the aspie thing is to do what I do. Plan out the most efficient route, and follow it EVEN to getting any stuff you have to get whereever. STILL, the most efficient way is GOTO! And what if you make a mistake? GOTO! GOTO 1,2,3,4,5 is FAR more efficient than GOTO 1, return, GOTO 2, return, GOTO 3, return, etc....

Steve

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 7:59 am

No offence but no one with As should have a shade of grey, that's why you end up getting into trouble with sarcastic remark's, or bending the truth is a lie - one of the reason's we probably don't get by in life, right or wrong, good or bad, when you get a question you don't know you either fail to say you don't know - change to a topic your familiar with or take ages to reply...

Certain semantic Pragmatic language disorder (SPLD) has common features to As, People with attention deficit disorder (ADD) are often considered as having some characteristics indicative of As. Although they are two distinct disorders, they are not mutually exclusive someone could have both conditions.

Why not be honest instead of lying, bending the truth is still lying. You tend to only lie if you have a social phobia - as that take's over or you end up having to tell the person you lied - it eat's away at you second by second just have to tell as it get's too big...

Also other disorders as cerebral palsy, neurofibromatosis and tuberous sclerosis, as well as Tourette syndrome...

See this is why I don't get how they can do a diagnosis in 1 - 2 hour's took them a year and a half with me.

Once a single diagnosis of As is confirmed, it may be wise to continue the diagnostic process to examine whether has another specific medical condition associated with this syndrome.

Could go on ages with other one's but you get the point...

Or (else) is better In programming language as it's better than jumping back and forward for code that can be in 1 place... In my opinion, was over used in that way bad coding really...

Also bad use of /* */ or // - /// can make looking at someone's code bad to read...

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 8:21 am

Aspie_Chav,

BTW you seem to hate conservatives a LOT! Liberals are at least as bad.

I got a BIG kick out of the NAFTA/GATT fiasco. It was perhaps the FIRST time I saw democrats shift on such an issue. For ONCE, I sided with most of them! I wasn't even really that affected by it. I was just being patriotic, like everyone always should be. At the time, I was basically a Christian Republican, yet I went against most of my party, and sided with most of the democrats! Unfortunately, Clinton was an IDIOT, and couldn't even get THAT right! ***HE*** went against most of your party, and it will affect mostly democrats(perhaps even YOU), and the democrats STILL love him!

BTW For those that don't know, NAFTA GATT are the North American Free Trad Agreement(fancy name for lets make sure we can only collect ILLEGAL taxes), and the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade!

Steve

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 9:42 am

The world is black and white; only people make it grey. That being said, there is a difference between thinking in "black and white," and behaving in extremes. I think everyone thinks in "black and white" according to their own perspectives created by their epistemological backgrounds. I mean, you get rabid individuals on both sides of any question; what point of view you agree with decides which side is "right" or "wrong." (And that is a simplistic view, as I find there is truth any perspective, but at the same time, I weigh that truth against my Truth and decide what fits and what doesn't. Every idea is grounded in truth and a truly open minded individual examines all ideas without necessarily accepting any one of them as truth right off, but instead weighs each one against his own perception and decides after. To quote Aristotle: "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." But to say something like "Republican Christians think in Black and White" is just as absurd as saying "Democratic Christians think in Grey.")

But behavior without moderation is different. I do that all the time. I'll either talk about 24 (current obsession; view here), or I won't talk at all unless forced to. I either eat a lot, or I'll forget to eat until reminded--and then eat a lot after I realize I am very hungry. I'll either get very excited or very apathetic. I'll play with Legos for weeks and then never touch them again for months or even a year or two. And I could go on for a long time, but I won't.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 1:24 pm

logitechdog to dexkaden wrote:
Don't totaly agree with you on that dex, As they is a between - if you want to try and brain wash yourself into bending the truth is not a lie... as an example

Epistemological backgrounds...

If that was true why some people from extreme religious families not believe in religion...

I am not saying this is true or false right now as its still been researched - " There is increasing evidence to suggest the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain are dysfunctional.

There is also some tentative evidence for right hemisphere cortical dysfunction in Non-verbal learning disabilities (NLD)...

It is recognised that the condition is on a seamless continuum that dissolves into the extreme end of the normal range.

If we went on background of people allot of people will be locked up right now for the minority report type of thing....

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 2:28 pm

Quote:
I was just being patriotic, like everyone always should be.

Patriotism is the cause of most war and genocide.

Its completely useless except to divide humanity into exclusive tribes based on false pride and prejudice and inevitably leads to conflict as the various tribes seek unnecessary feelings of superiority over each other.

I dont belong to any country Im a citizen of earth that is the world I am proud of (on the rare occasions when the human race isnt being a bunch of complete ret*ds) so your pride over living within certain specific imaginary lines on a map looks rather silly to me.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 2:31 pm

I also relate the words, good and bad to everything that I do. Spending money is bad. I was good, because I've eaten all my fruit and vegetables. I get out and that's good.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 2:36 pm

I think there are times when thinking in black and white can be a good thing,like giving
an honest Yes,No or indeed Don't Know to a question rather than fudging the issue.

At the same time,I agree with Dexkaden that when it comes to examining ideas it's
best to keep an open mind and weigh up all the arguments. As you get older you realise
that a lot of things you took for granted or at face value turn out to be a lot more
complicated and 'grey' than you assumed. For example,as it's Christmas how many
people take for granted the story of Jesus and the three wise men ? In actual fact the
bible never mentions that there were 3 men.It only mentions that gifts were brought
of gold,frankincense and myrrh. There could have been more then 3 priests bringing
them and in theory they may have been women not men ! That's the type of thing that
reminds me there can always be grey areas and to keep an open mind.
The time I mostly think in black & white is at football matches because that's the colours
the team I support play in. (Then again they sometimes have to play in a change strip of
red,so that's another grey area)

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 3:18 pm

My first reactions to things tend to be pretty black and white. Only after I start thinking about things do I start to see shades of gray.