Page 23 of 24 [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 10:38 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Hey! That's my bridge!

Well, I wasn't going to come out and say it, but since you did... Gotta defend your turf, right?

ArrantPariah wrote:
And, isn't universal access to weapons considered a sacred rite?

Not for "lunatics", violent felons, etc, I have no problem restricting peoples access to firearms when they're a demonstrated threat, it's the "well, we think this person might be dangerous" type of laws and regulations that are problematic. In any case, I've yet to see the conservative who says what they want is to "arm lunatics", hence my dismissal of the trollish comment.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 10:51 pm

How do you expect lunatics to defend themselves?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 10:53 pm

[quote="Kraichgauer"][quote="ruveyn"][quote="Kraichgauer"]

From the Civil War and Reconstruction class I had taken in my college days, actually most of the so called carpet baggers were dedicated to the cause of helping the newly freed slaves, and more often than not were the victims of violence at the hands of night riders and the early KKK. While there were actually corrupt so called carpet baggers in charge of the reconstruction governments in the southern states, they were in truth no more corrupt than the antebellum or Confederate governments, and a lot less corrupt than the so called redeemed state governments after Reconstruction
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer[

I'm just going on what little I remember from school and an old text book,so you are most surely better informed than I.
It does say;

The name carpetbagger was given to practically everyone who came into the state to profit from Reconstruction,but many were honest and came to be good citizens.It was the dishonest politicians who made the term carpetbagger hateful.

It does go on to talk about the Freedman's Bureau doing a lot of good in the state but the text book does have a definite slant against the Union League that is not in the later text books I used.

Governor Clayton opposed the Klan in Ark. and proclaimed martial law,he declared that the Klan was committing lawless acts and blaming them on the freed slaves.
Clayton realized that people,both Democrats and Republicans were displeased at the corruption of the state government.Money had been raised for courthouses,jails,levees and railroads that were never built.Corrupt politicians lining their pockets.(nothing new about that.)
The Republican party in Ark. also excluded ex-Confederates from voting but the freed slaves were given the right to vote.This probably caused some hard feelings.

I don't remember my text books bashing the North,but there were lots of political cartoons in them portraying carpetbaggers and scalawags in a not so nice way.

But war is hell

Edited because I really made a bumble posting this,bad computer skills. :oops:

Last edited by Misslizard on 16 Dec 2012, 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 11:09 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
How do you expect lunatics to defend themselves?

By "lunatics" I meant people who proven themselves to be violent, not just crazy, and with people that disturbed I'm not prioritizing their personal defense.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 11:12 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Not for "lunatics", violent felons, etc, I have no problem restricting peoples access to firearms when they're a demonstrated threat, it's the "well, we think this person might be dangerous" type of laws and regulations that are problematic. In any case, I've yet to see the conservative who says what they want is to "arm lunatics", hence my dismissal of the trollish comment.

well, mocking conservatives is sort of fun, in any case, I have wondered what route the US government is going to take regarding the connecticut school shooting, I suppose some gun control discussion will be put on the table after this, or am I wrong?

I think anti-gun organizations would use this oportunity to support their ideals.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 11:56 pm

blunnet wrote:
I think anti-gun organizations would use this oportunity to support their ideals.

Yes, their agenda advances one exploited tragedy at a time, as they need the hysteria to make their views seem sensible.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 5:50 am

ArrantPariah wrote:

Hey! That's my bridge!

And, isn't universal access to weapons considered a sacred rite?

No. Just a legal right under the U.S. Constitution. Not only under the second amendment but also the ninth amendment. Since we all have the natural right to life, we must also have the right to defend our lives against attack.

ruveyn

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:35 am

The Constitution doesn't offer an exception for lunatics.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:40 am

Raptor wrote:
blunnet wrote:
Quote:
What does a conservative want?

To give easy access to lunatics to guns.

:roll:
Yeah, I figured it would come around to that.
It's a cheap shot but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Aren't you going to say that if the kindergarteners had been trained in the use of firearms, and if they had been packing some heat, then the killer might have thought twice before entering a classroom?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 12:09 pm

Didn't the Gipper cut mental health funding and toss a bunch of people on the street that may have needed mental health services??

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 12:57 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Didn't the Gipper cut mental health funding and toss a bunch of people on the street that may have needed mental health services??

That is entirely possible. The "Gipper" had some strange ways of thinking. He promised to half the size of government, yet he and his buddies doubled it and set the U.S. on the course of runaway deficit ruination.

ruveyn

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 1:13 pm

Misslizard wrote:

The Gipper came and went before the active shooters in the Oregon and Connecticut incidents were even born. Aside from that, I don't know what Gipper's policy on mental health was but I'm guessing it was low on his priority list as president. Either way it's valueless to look it up at this point.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 1:19 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Raptor wrote:
blunnet wrote:
Quote:

Aren't you going to say that if the kindergarteners had been trained in the use of firearms, and if they had been packing some heat, then the killer might have thought twice before entering a classroom?

No, but maybe the teachers and/or other school employees......

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 1:24 pm

Raptor wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Raptor wrote:
blunnet wrote:
Quote:

No, but maybe the teachers and/or other school employees......

Aha! Raptor is showing his LIBERAL side again!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 1:35 pm

What I was thinking is that present day conservatives(some,not all) have followed the Gippers lead in slashing funding for the mental health services.
If you fall thru the cracks and make too much money for Medicaid to help you,and you can't afford insurance,you most likely can not afford a Psychiatrist or counseling,or the medication.
My shrink would like me to do some tests but Medicaid does not want to cover them,I can't afford them on my own.
Many people need services but cannot get them,the mental health of a nation should be important.Happy people are more productive,they show up for work,they do a good job and they don't go on a shooting spree killing their employer and colleagues.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 1:42 pm

Misslizard wrote:
What I was thinking is that present day conservatives(some,not all) have followed the Gippers lead in slashing funding for the mental health services.
If you fall thru the cracks and make too much money for Medicaid to help you,and you can't afford insurance,you most likely can not afford a Psychiatrist or counseling,or the medication.
My shrink would like me to do some tests but Medicaid does not want to cover them,I can't afford them on my own.
Many people need services but cannot get them,the mental health of a nation should be important.Happy people are more productive,they show up for work,they do a good job and they don't go on a shooting spree killing their employer and colleagues.

So long as people with Narcissistic Personality Disorders rule the world, that won't happen.