Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bornlie
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2012, 10:57 am

I am an Aspie and I am also a Vegan. The great thing about my asperger's is that it helps me stay on course, I am really picky about following the vegan guidelines. This has helped me deal with some weight issues. i lost around 25 pounds since last summer. I feel great now! Are there any other vegans here?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 2:40 pm

Do you mean you are an actual vegan, or just following a vegan diet?

bornlie
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2012, 3:08 pm

starkid wrote:

Vegan diet but if I had the money I would get rid of all the leather i own.

Evy7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2012, 6:39 pm

What kind of things do you eat? I am vegan as well, but I still eat the vegan fake meats occassionally. Half my diet is mostly veggies though

bornlie
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2012, 3:13 am

Evy7 wrote:
What kind of things do you eat? I am vegan as well, but I still eat the vegan fake meats occassionally. Half my diet is mostly veggies though

mainly fruits, veggies, pasta, bread, peanut butter. I will occasionally throw in a boca burger.

khnk222
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2012, 9:24 am

I mainly eat oats, dates and applesauce. I drink ricemilk and apple juice only, never any soda or coffee or anything else like that. My diet is pretty barren, I intend to eat more variety as an adult but my parents have three other non-vegan kids to feed and they themselves don't really respect my diet all that much. I'm not a fan of PETA, I think they are too extreme and I'm mainly a vegan for the health benefits, I never liked most types of meat that much when I still ate meat.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 6:19 am

starkid wrote:

Thank you for this. It's a bit unnerving having one's ethical philosophy referred to as a diet, which is but a small part of it.

to his Interest."

MaximumNEET
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2012, 12:21 pm

I got turned onto the vegan diet by my good friend 2 months ago shortly after cutting out all those dirty dairy products from my diet. I can attest to the following symptoms in this short timespan:

- Increased energy and motivation.
- Increased resistance to illnesses and allergies
- Acne that has troubled me for 7 years starts disappearing.
- Lower heart rate and better circulation (I could not stand cold weather until now where I can wander about in a pull-over and t-shirt at -6 degrees).
- Improved strength (deadlift and press have gone up 10kg after stalling for nearly a year). What's all this nonsense about animal protein and eating 1 gram per lb of lean body mass a day?
- Clear conscience from not financing animal cruelty on a mass scale (which is one of the main motivations from doing this 8)).

Oh yeah, and I also dropped 10lbs of fat.

If anyone is curious about going vegan/vegetarian, I would highly recommend it - if only for a few weeks. However, it probably won't work out if you eat crap like seitan, tofu, 'quorn' and all this other rubbish. Stick to your green vegetables and eat TONS of fruit, herbs and nuts. You'll reap the benefits instantly.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 5:44 pm

I haven't banned meat from my diet, but I've made some major changes, I eat no meat or processed foods until dinner. I stock up on the produce isle and purée it in a blender and freeze it until I need it. Most produce is more filling, has a lower calorie content and a higher water content than the fast food and vending machine food I used to eat.

Sometimes I get dizzy at the end of the day (I exercise a lot), but I've had fewer GI issues, more mental clarity throughout the day, and my appetite doesn't own me like it used to.

I don't think I'd switch to vegan, but having less meat and more produce was a good change for me.

alittlesheepish
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Dec 2012, 10:29 pm

MaximumNEET wrote:
I got turned onto the vegan diet by my good friend 2 months ago shortly after cutting out all those dirty dairy products from my diet. I can attest to the following symptoms in this short timespan:

- Increased energy and motivation.
- Increased resistance to illnesses and allergies
- Acne that has troubled me for 7 years starts disappearing.
- Lower heart rate and better circulation (I could not stand cold weather until now where I can wander about in a pull-over and t-shirt at -6 degrees).
- Improved strength (deadlift and press have gone up 10kg after stalling for nearly a year). What's all this nonsense about animal protein and eating 1 gram per lb of lean body mass a day?
- Clear conscience from not financing animal cruelty on a mass scale (which is one of the main motivations from doing this 8)).

Oh yeah, and I also dropped 10lbs of fat.

If anyone is curious about going vegan/vegetarian, I would highly recommend it - if only for a few weeks. However, it probably won't work out if you eat crap like seitan, tofu, 'quorn' and all this other rubbish. Stick to your green vegetables and eat TONS of fruit, herbs and nuts. You'll reap the benefits instantly.

Generally, I agree. However, generalities are rarely true across the board. I started the transition almost a year ago (simply because I can't digest animal proteins!) and am still awaiting most of the above results - probably due to some undiagnosed medical condition. I've lost 20 pounds in the last year, almost half of that in the last two months (yet my bloodwork is normal - explain that one), leaving me at a feeble 118 pounds. I eat almost non-stop, yet my hunger is insatiable, and I will be freezing in the same room my sister is sweating in....

I love being vegan (and gluten-free, soy-free), especially since it helps me psychologically as well, but I hate being sick. Two or three of my favorite vegan chefs have stepped back into the omnivorous world battling other health issues as well. Veganism is not for everyone, but it is perfect for many, and all would benefit from eating more veggies (quantity and percentage-wise).

*If anyone has ideas on a possible diagnosis or cure, please send me a PM. I'm open to just about anything at this point.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 12:22 am

bornlie wrote:
starkid wrote:

Why not sell it and get money?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

corastorm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2012, 12:42 am

Last year, my New Year's resolution was to stop eating meat. I have been successful other than eating a little fish very occasionally. I am not sure if I will ever eat a completely vegan diet but I am definitely trying to gradually change for the better. Can anyone recommend what would be the next best step, if I were to implement another change in 2013? From some things I've read it seems like this would be eliminating soy products--would you agree with that?

OrderfromChaos
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2012, 2:18 am

I would eat a vegan diet if it weren't for the fact that I don't exclude honey. I don't eat a lot of it, but I don't exclude it, either. If anyone wants to ask why I don't know what to say except maybe I can't empathize with bees. But seriously, I can also just say I am not perfect, either, if that makes it easier. I largely gave up eating meat at the age of 14, but occasionally (more likely rarely) ate shrimp from the age of 16-26. I then gave that up because I no longer liked it. I gave up dairy a year ago due to lactose intolerance. As to other diet changes, I quit eating lots of sugar and only allow myself small amounts of it, except at Christmas when I ate too much and realized yet again why I gave it up due to acne and inflammation that causes sinus and headache issues. It also makes me cranky and throws off my balance and sense of well-being if I eat too much. I quit wearing leather for 4 1/2 years, but there was a to-do at work about me wearing sneakers into the office even though others are allowed, so I went back to wearing leather as I tried pretty hard but could not find good quality, good looking shoes in that 4 1/2 year time frame and hence the reason for giving up and wearing sneakers. If I had lots of money I would start a shoe company and figure out how to hold a stock of well-treated animals and wait to make the shoes until they died of natural causes. Most vegans would still object but I would personally fill better about it. Or, I would just figure out good quality materials and styles and exclude animals from the process. I think it's doable with effort but not a lot of people are sitting around and trying to figure it out because they care even less about animals than I do. It's still very socially acceptable to mistreat and kill many kinds of them. I don't like it but don't feel I have the resources to fix it or fight it and I fight enough battles as-is. I've never given up wool. I think that can be done ethically, too, but I also realize it's not usually the case now. I'm sure my views stir up debate and I have no problems with vegans, but not everyone can or is able to make the sacrifices they have learned to make with society's expectations being what they currently are.

Anyway, back to the diet part; I feel so much better after giving up the foods that were causing me issues, and I would encourage everyone who thinks that certain foods may cause them certain issues to look into giving them up or rarely eating them since it can lead to lots of benefits that make the change in routine worth it in the long-run.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 5:11 am

I'm a vegan of 6 years.
I used to actively-despise the faux meat products, and I still try to eat 90% unprocessed, but recently I've developed an addiction to Yves veggie dogs, both big and small ones, as snacks. :D Also, gotta have my almond milk.

to his Interest."

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 7:59 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
but recently I've developed an addiction to Yves veggie dogs, both big and small ones

Here's a potential why:

Ingredients
water, isolated soy protein, vital wheat gluten, natural flavors, salt, wheat starch, evaporated cane juice powder, spices..

A special blend of spices and natural hickory smoke give our Meatless Dogs an authentic, traditional flavor. They taste just like the real thing but without the fat or cholesterol.

Natural flavours does not mean the source is from natural/organic state. It just means a scientist has duplicated the flavour artificially. Basically, you are feeding the pathogens who are craving these foods. Also, we need fat and cholesterol for optimal brain functioning and health. IMO

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 8:12 am

bornlie wrote:
starkid wrote:

As expensive as leather costs and you're saying that you need money to get rid of it??? You're funny man xD I became vegan recently.