Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 2:25 pm

green0star wrote:
bornlie wrote:
starkid wrote:
Do you mean you are an actual vegan, or just following a vegan diet?

Vegan diet but if I had the money I would get rid of all the leather i own.

As expensive as leather costs and you're saying that you need money to get rid of it??? You're funny man xD I became vegan recently.

Well if he is morally consistent he wouldn't sell it.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 7:28 am

I have a fully plant-based diet (no animal products whatsoever), but I don't consider myself a vegan.

I also don't think it is my place to preach to others about their life choices. I am, however, an advocate of humanely raised foods and don't think that any creature should suffer.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2016, 7:52 pm

Yup. But I'm not too strict. I also eat sea food & fish (gotta get that B12), until I farm my own Plankton.

I dislike lentils with a prejudice.

wn8689
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2016, 4:58 pm

I am a vegan as well. Here is my explanation why i saw the horrors of animal agriculture and cut out meat initially then a while later cut out the rest of the animal products. The horrors i am talking about are worse horrors than when i was bullied in school for being awkward

Cintakmarka
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2016, 7:55 pm

Yes Vegan and plant based here
I'm for many reasons,

Health
Environment
Animals
Land Usage
Interconnectedness
Nutrition
Global impacts

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:01 pm

Flown wrote:
I have a fully plant-based diet (no animal products whatsoever), but I don't consider myself a vegan.

I also don't think it is my place to preach to others about their life choices. I am, however, an advocate of humanely raised foods and don't think that any creature should suffer.

5 years later, and I am no longer 100 percent plant based. Due to unexpected developments in my chronic health issues (which involve dysmotility/gastroparesis), I was unable to maintain this diet. I literally would have starved if I had stuck with it. I've somewhat recovered after over a year and a half, and I'm back to around 75-80% plant based diet now.

Editing because this was really unclear (my brain is not working properly today):
" As I had mentioned, I have CHRONIC health issues (that I've been dealing with for decades that are unrelated to that particular diet). I tested out a fully plant-based diet to see if I noticed any real difference in my health/pain levels. And sorry for forgetting to mention: I had begun adding some animal products (like eggs) back into my diet in 2019 as I did notice that I wasn't feeling well-nourished (I have a genetic B12 absorption issue). My wording made it seem like I was still on a 100 percent plant based diet when I became symptomatic, so that is my mistake."

Last edited by Flown on 19 Oct 2021, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:09 pm

Flown wrote:
Flown wrote:
I have a fully plant-based diet (no animal products whatsoever), but I don't consider myself a vegan.  I also don't think it is my place to preach to others about their life choices. I am, however, an advocate of humanely raised foods and don't think that any creature should suffer.
5 years later, and I am no longer 100 percent plant based. Due to unexpected developments in my chronic health issues (which involve dysmotility/gastroparesis), I was unable to maintain this diet.  I literally would have starved if I had stuck with it.  I've somewhat recovered after over a year and a half, and I'm back to around 75-80% plant based diet now.
This seems to have been a common occurrence with all the vegans I have known for more than a few years -- they are all gung-ho for the vegan lifestyle for the first few years, then they start having medical problems that not even "Vegan-Approved" supplements will fix, which get progressively worse until they realize that a strict lveggie diet is simply not good for them in the long term.  Humans are omnivores after all, and this means a diet of both vegetable-based and animal-based foods.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:25 pm

Well I'm not a vegan.

I did once buy a pair of vegan shoes though. This was purely by accident as I didn't know they were vegan at the time. The funny thing about these shoes is that they are leopard print kind of faux fur.

Also I have noticed that when a lot of vegan foods are advertised in the supermarkets they are marketed as "No beef burgers" or "No fish fingers". I'm not really interested in what's not in the product, I'm interested in what is in it.

Apart from that I have no issue with veganism or any other lifestyle choice as long as I'm left to mine.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 2:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
Flown wrote:
Flown wrote:
I have a fully plant-based diet (no animal products whatsoever), but I don't consider myself a vegan.  I also don't think it is my place to preach to others about their life choices. I am, however, an advocate of humanely raised foods and don't think that any creature should suffer.
5 years later, and I am no longer 100 percent plant based. Due to unexpected developments in my chronic health issues (which involve dysmotility/gastroparesis), I was unable to maintain this diet.  I literally would have starved if I had stuck with it.  I've somewhat recovered after over a year and a half, and I'm back to around 75-80% plant based diet now.
This seems to have been a common occurrence with all the vegans I have known for more than a few years -- they are all gung-ho for the vegan lifestyle for the first few years, then they start having medical problems that not even "Vegan-Approved" supplements will fix, which get progressively worse until they realize that a strict lveggie diet is simply not good for them in the long term.  Humans are omnivores after all, and this means a diet of both vegetable-based and animal-based foods.

I suppose I should have been a little more clear with my diet timeline. As I had mentioned, I have CHRONIC health issues (that I've been dealing with for decades that are unrelated to that particular diet). I tested out a fully plant-based diet to see if I noticed any real difference in my health/pain levels. And sorry for forgetting to mention: I had begun adding some animal products (like eggs) back into my diet in 2019 as I did notice that I wasn't feeling well-nourished (I have a genetic B12 absorption issue). My wording made it seem like I was still on a 100 percent plant based diet when I became symptomatic, so that is my mistake.

As for what made a plant based diet IMPOSSIBLE in recent years:

I have had dysautonomia since my early twenties, and I had an extreme flareup which began in March 2020. This led to a really nasty gastroparesis flare. My doctors and I now think that I likely had the COVID alpha variant (we had no idea until recently)--and that it exacerbated my underlying conditions. I couldn't eat solids for several months. For 15 months total, I could not eat any vegetables, fruits, or fibrous foods without severe stomach pain, dizziness, nausea/vomiting. I also had swallowing issues, globus sensation, and it felt like my food wasn't moving from the top of my stomach. I was surviving on chicken nuggets, rice protein shakes, and broth. I lost considerable weight in a short period of time. I've gradually (since I had my vaccinations in May) been able to add more vegetables and fruits back into my diet, but I'm now having to supplement with folate, B12, vitamin d3 due to deficiencies I developed. I've gained back a good bit of weight, and I'm getting back on track. I still have slight GI flares, but nothing like I was experiencing in 2020 and early 2021.

I don't think that I will ever go back to a 100 percent plant based diet (I too believe that a balanced omnivorous diet is best for ME), but as I mentioned in my post 5 years ago, it isn't my place to judge those that feel good going down this path.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 2:17 pm

I wish I could go back on a plant-based diet too.  While I never declared myself a "vegan", I did try a meatless diet; and even though I did take B12 supplements, I became anemic from a lack of iron.  My strength and stamina dropped, as well, and I experienced two cardiac episodes during this time.  My health improved after 'cheating' with a cheeseburger or steak once or twice a week, and now I am back on a 'normal' omni diet.

While I have no problem with veganism itself, it is the Evangelical Vegans who annoy me with their nearly constant preaching and proselytization ("You're digging your grave with your fork!!").  Not all vegans are like this -- only a few -- but just enough to induce me to shy away from those who are openly vegan.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 2:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
I wish I could go back on a plant-based diet too.  While I never declared myself a "vegan", I did try a meatless diet; and even though I did take B12 supplements, I became anemic from a lack of iron.  My strength and stamina dropped, as well, and I experienced two cardiac episodes during this time.  My health improved after 'cheating' with a cheeseburger or steak once or twice a week, and now I am back on a 'normal' omni diet.

While I have no problem with veganism itself, it is the Evangelical Vegans who annoy me with their nearly constant preaching and proselytization ("You're digging your grave with your fork!!").  Not all vegans are like this -- only a few -- but just enough to induce me to shy away from those who are openly vegan.

I'm sorry to hear that, and I agree that militant vegans (or any other dieters for that matter) are not pleasant to deal with. I've gotten to a point where I think anything in the realm of diet culture is unhealthy. Guilt, restriction, and shame are not things that should be associated with nourishment.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 9:38 pm

bornlie wrote:
I am an Aspie and I am also a Vegan. The great thing about my asperger's is that it helps me stay on course, I am really picky about following the vegan guidelines. This has helped me deal with some weight issues. i lost around 25 pounds since last summer. I feel great now! Are there any other vegans here?

It pleases me to live in the animal protein Capitol of the universe. Also fat, salt, gluten, casein, sugar too