Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 7:07 pm

A while ago I found the movie Song of the South on YouTube and I watched it. I expected it to be flamingly racist because people had told me it was but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The protagonist in Song of the South is a white boy named Jimmy who lives in the American south during the reconstruction era. He starts hanging around with a black boy named Toby and an older black man named Uncle Remus who tells him stories. Jimmy's racist mother tells him not to hang around with Uncle Remus but he disobeys his mother and hangs around with Uncle Remus anyway. At the end of the movie, Uncle Remus saves Jimmy's life and Jimmy's mom decides that Uncle Remus is a good person.

Uncle Remus didn't seem submissive in the movie at all. He just seemed like a nice guy.

I Song of the South really racist?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 7:17 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
A while ago I found the movie Song of the South on YouTube and I watched it. I expected it to be flamingly racist because people had told me it was but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The protagonist in Song of the South is a white boy named Jimmy who lives in the American south during the reconstruction era. He starts hanging around with a black boy named Toby and an older black man named Uncle Remus who tells him stories. Jimmy's racist mother tells him not to hang around with Uncle Remus but he disobeys his mother and hangs around with Uncle Remus anyway. At the end of the movie, Uncle Remus saves Jimmy's life and Jimmy's mom decides that Uncle Remus is a good person.

Uncle Remus didn't seem submissive in the movie at all. He just seemed like a nice guy.

I don't think it's racist. I've never heard anyone else say that it is, either.

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2012, 7:24 pm

In an ideal world where Dr. Martin Luther King's dream came true..no..the art would not be considered racist. In our current condition of being infected with the disease of Political Correctness who knows? Racism is a highly variable and valuable commodity. Not sure what I should do with all my old Amos n Andy vhs tapes. I'm scared. Any thoughts?

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 7:32 pm

People who seriously believe that the human races can never get along are far more dangerous than people who use a few stereotypes.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

I watched the movie as a kid,I don't remember much from it except the music which seemed happy.There is talk of editing Twain's work because of a racial term.This is going a little too far,it was the term used in Twain's time and he would have it used since it was the norm.It's obvious that Jim in Hucleberry Finn is a hero,he takes better care of Huck than Huck's father does and in the end the boys want to free Jim,they have acknowledged that he is their equal and due respect and freedom.
But they could but a page in the front of the book that offers an explanation why the politically incorrect term is used,just to warn tender people it's in there.

Zippity do dah Zippity day
My o my what a wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine commin' my way
Zippity do dah zippity day
Mr. Bluebirds on my shoulder......

That's as I remember the song off my head,not sure how accurate it is.I saw the movie in the 70's so it's been awhile,I think it has a website.

Surprised AP hasn't shown up to comment but he is most likely putting up X -mas stuff under his bridge. :lol:

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 8:17 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Surprised AP hasn't shown up to comment but he is most likely putting up X -mas stuff under his bridge. :lol:

Merry Christmas to you, too.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 8:38 pm

^^^^^hope your not mad,but if you can post videos of southern skanks I should be able to tease you a little bit.If your offended I'm sorry,I was joking with you.I meant to put this movie on the suggest blasphemous material thread for you but I forgot.Have a nice Yule.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 8:40 pm

bigwheel wrote:
In an ideal world where Dr. Martin Luther King's dream came true..no..the art would not be considered racist. In our current condition of being infected with the disease of Political Correctness who knows? Racism is a highly variable and valuable commodity. Not sure what I should do with all my old Amos n Andy vhs tapes. I'm scared. Any thoughts?

Dat be rescusticating!

ruveyn

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 8:43 pm

Misslizard wrote:
^^^^^hope your not mad,but if you can post videos of southern skanks I should be able to tease you a little bit.If your offended I'm sorry,I was joking with you.I meant to put this movie on the suggest blasphemous material thread for you but I forgot.Have a nice Yule.

Don't apologize for Pete's sake. Just use another bridge to cross the river from now on.
:lol:

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2012, 9:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
bigwheel wrote:

Dat be rescusticating!

ruveyn

Ok sorry..us seasoned citizens tend to have deja vue all over again yet another time sometimes. lol

28 Nov 2012, 10:16 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Cuing OliveOilMom in 5..........4.........3.........2.........1........

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 10:20 pm

I thought y'all were talkin' about this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdXQAQHjd8[/youtube]

I was thinking, "What's racist about a song about Depression-era sharecroppers?"

Still one of my favorite songs from back in the day from one of my all-time favorite country bands...at least, well, back when country music was still country. Now all you hear are pop/rock singers or bands from Michigan or even Canada that are just Shania Twain wannabes who wouldn't know a good country song if it bit them in the ass.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 8:18 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

How was Uncle Remus not "submissive?"

He was certainly a "nice guy."

I thought that the movie was set in the slave era.

I thought that it was a nice movie, but one that couldn't be made today. Any more than Princess Tiger Lilly can be included in any of the Peter Pan sequels.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 9:16 am

^^^^^^^No more Heckel and Jeckel either, the two cartoon crows.I barely remember them but I think they talked in Ebonics but if I remember right those birds were sharp.

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2012, 10:09 am

Heckle and Jeckyl were my favorites. Seems like one talked eubonics and the other one talked with an English accent.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 7:06 pm

Well now, one mornin' I went out to the crossroads and who'd I see there, but ole Bre'r Rabbit hisself. I sat him down on a log besides me and I ask him "Bre'r Rabbit" I says, "Theres some folks on the intera-net that been askin is Song O The South racist!"

Bre'r Rabbit, he just sit there. He stare off over to the briar patch for a long time. So long I think he ain't bout to answer me. I open my mouth to ask again and he go "SHHHH!"

He points over and I look and we see Brer Bear and Brer Fox. They's all hunkered down in the grass next to the fence around the briar patch. I say "Bre'r Rabbit, you gone crazy or sumptin? What Bre'r Bear and Bre'r Fox got to do with where Song O The South racist or not?"

He tells me "Be still and watch!" so I do. Directly, here come Bre'r fox and Bre'r Bear tip toeing out of the grass and right behind them, big as life, here come David Duke and Al Sharpton! We see em sneak right past the movie theater, and even that ole tar baby that they had set as a trap for Bre'r Rabbit that time. Right behind them come that Al Quahad Dijeannie or whatever his name is from Al Quida. THey all meet up and they stand there and talk about hate. They don't care about why they hate, they just talking about hatin!

Bre'r Rabbit kindly digs me in the side with his elbow and he goes "Movie ain't racist. Them's the racists. That's the kind you gotta gotta keep your eye on. Watch your movie all you want, but you best be keeping your eye on them. Movie don't kill folks or cause 'em to get all up in didoes to riot each other. They do."

So, I thanked Bre'r Rabbit kindly for his time, Mr Bluebird landed on my shoulder, and I skipped off as happy as I could be cause I done found my answer!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com