Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Nov 2012, 6:24 pm

That's a very annoying posting style vex, I guess that's probably the point rather than actually having a point. Going sentence to sentence expressing disapproval adds very little to a discussion. Your own observations, experiences, and opinions are interesting enough on their own if you take the time.

I think it's silly to suggest that all play and gender differences in general are socially constructed rather than innate. That's a political belief rather than one based in reality in my opinion. 'And As I said there are exceptions, there are little boys that play with baby dolls and having tea parties I guess but that's not necessarily normal and I don't mean that in judging or discouraging way.

I don't think my own experience would of been much different if I didn't have any brothers or if they were sisters or whatever, I can't speak for my brothers I guess. Then again, I wasn't the most normal child either. I was the oldest so there's that too, the most independent and pioneering in spirit(a nice take than just simply a loner lol) Not to go off topic but I was never really bored as child, I was always able to occupy my time whether I was alone or not. My sister who is much younger than me is just the exact opposite, maybe kids are just more overstimulated nowadays.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 6:42 pm

Why does this even matter that much. Doesn't economics say that if the marginal utility of a boy playing with a doll is more than the marginal cost he should play with the doll. Are social expectations for gender not an extenality that makes tihngs inefficient.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 7:31 pm

Good on Sweden. Kids should play with whatever the heck they feel like playing with. I used to love dolls as a kid.

You will reap what you've sown.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 7:51 pm

Dolls for boys have to be robotic.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 9:14 pm

Boys like to play with dolls so much that they end up buying life sized ones when they reach adulthood as a way to overcompensate .

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 12:15 pm

From the title of the post, I thought the magazine was using transgendered or transvestite children as models.

tuffy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2012, 12:23 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
From the title of the post, I thought the magazine was using transgendered or transvestite children as models.

I'm sorry it didn't live up to your expectations. :wink:
My nephew happily played with one of my old dolls. My niece loves her pink princess stuff as well as her light saber.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 2:39 pm

'nuf said.

EtherealBallet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2012, 6:59 pm

I don't see what they think is wrong about this. What is wrong with the baby doll being played with by a boy in the advertisment?

Quote:
One thousand years ago, this boy would be a Viking. Now he is a girl.

Why do we want to go back in time? This article annoys me very badly.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 7:02 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Boys like to play with dolls so much that they end up buying life sized ones when they reach adulthood as a way to overcompensate .

:lol:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 7:06 pm

EtherealBallet wrote:
I don't see what they think is wrong about this. What is wrong with the baby doll being played with by a boy in the advertisement?
Quote:

The controversy is based upon the concepts of innate versus socialized gender roles.

If gender roles are innate (determined by biology), then switching toys is meaningless.

If gender roles are socialized (determined by norms, education, expectations etc.), then switching toys should affect the behaviour of boys and girls.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 7:57 pm

The boy playing with the doll is not practicing to be a mommy, he's practicing to be a daddy (unless he really IS transgendered). What's wrong with teaching boys to be good parents? If everyone gave their sons dolls, maybe there'd be a few less deadbeat dads in the world.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 8:05 pm

My younger brother eventually followed my lead in playing with my mum's old handbags.
I kept paperwork and forms to fill in in my bag while my brother kept stones collected from the beach in his. Me gay he straight! :lol:

EtherealBallet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2012, 7:23 pm

GGPViper wrote:
EtherealBallet wrote:
I don't see what they think is wrong about this. What is wrong with the baby doll being played with by a boy in the advertisement?
Quote:

The controversy is based upon the concepts of innate versus socialized gender roles.

If gender roles are innate (determined by biology), then switching toys is meaningless.

If gender roles are socialized (determined by norms, education, expectations etc.), then switching toys should affect the behaviour of boys and girls.
What would be wrong with people doing what fits for them? (with limits because stuff like murder should not be allowed.) Are people afraid that without gender roles people will leave some roles empty? but there will always be some women to do "women's role" and some men too. I don't see what is wrong with kids playing with toys they like. If gender roles are innate then they could just go back to what they used to do. Forgive me if I make no sense. I understand a little better thank you. Not totally maybe I need to research this topic a lot more or maybe I am too immature right now and in a few years I will understand better. :?: