I've been diagnosed with severe AS form; 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
I've been diagnosed with a medium (or medium-mild) AS form; 27%  27%  [ 15 ]
I've been diagnosed with a mild AS form. 61%  61%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 56

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2012, 8:00 am

I wanted to know the severity of the diagnosis of people with AS on this forum. Personally, I've been diagnosed with a medium/ medium-mild AS form. What about you?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Nov 2012, 8:18 am

I've been told by people on this forum, by my therapist, and by one of the two people who both diagnosed me with AS that my difficulties are severe as far as an AS diagnosis goes.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 8:38 am

i have classic autism and I am somewhere in the middle.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2012, 11:32 am

No opinion was voiced on the severity of my form in my diagnosis.
I have my own opinions, but they vary according to what kind of day I'm having.....

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 12:52 pm

Mine is very mild, and I can pass for eccentric in most situations. I have developed a strong sense of empathy and a vigilance in social situations. Very few people think I have AS. This is not because I have been "cured", but because my parents intervened very early and consistently. I still think like an autist, and when I'm alone or with family, I flap hands, rock, have echolalia, and have very autist conversations with them. I can turn my Aspie mode on and off, but I need to turn it on or I'll go crazy.

FightingAspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2012, 1:09 pm

Define Severe?

I have a decent IQ but my life has been a struggle. I don't know how to respond to this thread. I have aspergers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 1:14 pm

I was diagnosed with mild AS, and I feel mild too compared to reading up about typical Autism. I can express my feelings to other people, make eye contact, recognise non-verbal social cues (and verbal social cues), have empathy for other people, and I can hide my condition too. To other people I usually just appear as shy or anxious.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 1:24 pm

I am moderate severe.
I got recently evaluated in the ability or self-help and the areas were ability for transportation, nutrition, hygiene, household, living without supervision, avoiding danger, communication and social contact, and employment and these areas were assessed as "impossible without help from third persons, supervision in adapted accomodation, or without fully adapted environment".
I do though work from my pc about 20 hours a week since end of last year, but the people who employed me know about my autism.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Maggot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2012, 2:51 pm

I was diagnosed as mild - moderate, it was explained to me that I am functioning because I'm married, have a job and can engage in conversation somewhat. Another reason I was assessed at this level is because of my communication skills and eye contact. I explained that my eye contact is fine when I meet a person for the first time, but over time it becomes more difficult as they begin to notice my quirks and behaviours.

I've never rocked or had echolalia, but do count using my feet to tap, this is fairly repetitive and using involves counting to four repeatedly.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 2:54 pm

I voted mild AS form. Mom told me I have very little of it, I read in my medical report I have mild ASD when my psychiatrist wrote what his impression was of me. The only bad part if it was the social skills when he wrote I have very bad ones. I think they have gotten better since then and are not very bad anymore. Even I agree mine is mild.

I don't think functioning labels always mean anything because you can have mild AS and have co morbids that are not mild such as anxiety or sensory processing disorder or dyspraxia or a learning disability. So it's going to make it look like you are not mild. I had mild to moderate dyspraxia in my childhood according to what I've read and my anxiety was pretty bad too and I read my learning disability is pretty severe. But I don't have very many problems. Also what happens if you have AS traits that are not mild and you have others that are? Where would that put you? Same as if they vary depending on your mood and situation and day?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 3:36 pm

I am uncertain.

Kraulhelm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2012, 3:58 pm

I think I have a lot of difficulties due to the medication that I had not before, but I always going to be someone strange. I consider myself rather "not severe, just pass.".

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 4:02 pm

I'm told I'm "mild" because I can live independently and my social skills are pretty good (after years of hard work). On the other hand, my sensory issues are really quite severe and I have terrible head-banging-against-wall meltdowns at least once a week, more often if work is stressful.

I assume you're asking about the full autism spectrum, meaning low-functioning vs. high-functioning, so I'd be mild on that scale as I am able to care for myself. But I think it's a bit of an oversimplification. I've known aspies who have horrible social skills despite years of training as well as things like face-blindness that make them unable to function completely normally, but they have almost no sensory issues and never have meltdowns.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2012, 1:59 am

In my own case, I am not certain, because I was told "I have Aspergers", but not how severe of Aspergers...
If you mean the entire Spectrum, I'd say moderate to mild, because I do some social interacting. However, I KNOW I'm Autistic, because even talking to someone who has known me even for years, they act friendly toward me, but eager to depart, too...

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2013, 7:15 pm

I have been diagnosed with a "classical" form, presumably because I exhibited a diverse range of the conventional and atypical traits of Asperger's syndrome. My audition, gustation, and olfaction senses are very hypersensitive, which explicates my aversions to loud or bizarre smells, high pitched noises, and my picky eating tendencies. It's quite often that co-morbid conditions tend to exacerbate or obscure the severity of AS and/or one's level of functioning. I know through introspection that I'm quite intelligent, incisive, verbosely and analytically gifted, and that I possess an exceptional visual, verbal, and long term memory. The degree of my current adaptive behavioral capacities is variable, although my basic ADLs are fine (other than tying shoelaces, and I rarely shave as I tend to injure myself). As I am extremely introverted, socially naive, and nowadays reclusive, I have never maintained a close social relationship in my life and lost my only small one several years ago (due to severe social-behavioral problems). Instrumental ADLs such as public transportation, laundry, sense of danger, and shopping are generally very good, and I'm not bad at housekeeping (although I rarely use the washing machine and I'm quite dependent on certain hazardous chemical containing detergents, disinfectants, and bleaches).

Due to my very poor social communication skills, I simply hate making outgoing telephone conversations, and I have never been on prescribed medication in my life so I wouldn't have any knowledge of handling it. At this period of time I am incapable of preparing cooked meals, and my financial management would be very flimsy without social security benefits, and a full time job. My poor nonverbal communication skills, social naiveté, eccentricities, underdeveloped manual dexterity, motor clumsiness, social anxiety, and fear of ostracism and bullying within the workplace make it subsequently very difficult for me to sustain employment. Having poor manual dexterity prohibits me from initiating home maintenance tasks, even though the verbal instructions are highly comprehensible to me.
Aspie score: 186 out of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 12 out of 200
AQ: 48/50 EQ: 9/80

Last edited by TheRedPedant93 on 03 May 2013, 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 8:00 pm

What do you mean by the two letters 'AS'?

That could mean either 'autism' , or 'asperger's'.

My guess is that you mean "autism", and are asking where I am on the whole autism spectrum.

Was officially dx'd with aspergers- so that puts me on the high end of the whole spectrum- along with the HF autists. So I would be 'mild' then -I suppose.

If you mean just aspergers- they didnt specify any subdivision within aspergers that I am pigeonholed into ( I could check the report again- I dont think that they did).