Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

FlintsDoorknob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2012, 7:01 pm

I have a very simple question. Is there a proper way or appropriate place online where I can share my experiences in the mental health system and hospitals? I've been through a lot, although I'm in a relatively stable living situation right now. I haven't been able to get proper therapy for what I think is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder even though it has been 2 years since I stopped getting support. I'm agoraphobic right now, and sick. I can't go to the hospital because of what happened to me to get proper help.

I was wondering if there was a proper place where I could explain my situation, or vent or share my experiences?

MikeW999
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2012, 9:59 pm

FlintsDoorknob wrote:
I have a very simple question. Is there a proper way or appropriate place online where I can share my experiences in the mental health system and hospitals? I've been through a lot, although I'm in a relatively stable living situation right now. I haven't been able to get proper therapy for what I think is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder even though it has been 2 years since I stopped getting support. I'm agoraphobic right now, and sick. I can't go to the hospital because of what happened to me to get proper help.

I was wondering if there was a proper place where I could explain my situation, or vent or share my experiences?

Depends.. I was hospitalized about five - six times and I am only 22. It's usually a mixed bag, I got along well with the younger staff, a lot of the people who were there just for the "paycheck" you could tell, but they could relate to me pretty well and were easy to talk too. It depends though..

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 1:01 am

nami.org has information and discussion groups.

DMHA (department of mental health agency, I assume) consumer services hotline at 1-800-901-1133.

Your state (Indiana 1-800-622-4845) Protection and Advocacy Services.

The Joint Commission Office of Quality Monitoring at 1-800-944-6610 or email the Joint Commission at:
[email protected]

I hope things get better for you.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 1:10 am

Social Services where the hospital is located.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Nov 2012, 2:04 am

FlintsDoorknob wrote:

It depends what kind of abuse you've experienced. You could try Googling 'mental health survivor' - some people refer to themselves as 'survivors' because of what they have gone through at the hands of the system.

'Are there things that you feel you cannot say to your mental health provider? (doctor, psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist, counsellor etc).

If you don’t have a mental health provider, why not? What would you say to them if you did?
This can be done completely anonymously, or with your name and age to identify you.

Deadline Saturday April 31st 2012

Get it off your chest by submitting a short (500 word max) account at mindovermatterzine.tumblr.com/submit'

FlintsDoorknob

30 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
Social Services where the hospital is located.

My social worker is incompetent. The entire system, every one I have been involved with have been terrible. I don't know where to go from here.

If I don't get help soon I'll get complications from physical health issues because I think I have PTSD and it stops me from leaving my house, and stops me from going to the hospital.

I don't know what to do.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 10:54 pm

If you feel that, way, your best option would be to consult legal advice on sueing the hospital.

Or you could write a book about it and see if you can get it published.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 10:58 pm

Vent wherever you want to.

Can't say I had too bad an experience in my stays. Except for the cleaner stealing money from me (no, seriously. Yes, yes, I know the stereotypical, "they're stealing from me!" psychoses in mental hostels, but I was perfectly sane, well,... sane enough).

O, and people pushing in front of me in the medication line.

O again, people talked to much. Too noisy.

FlintsDoorknob

30 Nov 2012, 11:51 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
If you feel that, way, your best option would be to consult legal advice on sueing the hospital.

Or you could write a book about it and see if you can get it published.

Yeah I think that's what I will try. However it's extremely difficult because I signed myself over to the care of the group home where I suffered most of the abuse. Although I didn't really know I would have experience danything I did before hand. I was pretty much in the dark when they explained it to me. And I was still in shock from recent trauma.

I actually am in the process of trying to organize my thoughts and write this down because it's really complicated and too hard to explain to people. Also, when I do find a proper therapist and even now with my family Doctor I will have something to hand him over instead of explaining it all vocally which is quite emotionally exhausting.