Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 6:41 pm

visagrunt wrote:
When I look at potential employees, I value five undergraduate degrees beyond all others: Economics, English, Mathematics, Philosophy and Physics.

Can I come work for you?

I can clean a mean toilet.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 6:44 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
I think art and science should coexist and get equal funding. Both are useful in different ways, why can't more people see that?

Paid for by whom? Wealth is created by the technical types. Engineers and Scientists. The other chrome domes are great a expropriating and redistributing what they cannot create.

ruveyn

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 6:53 pm

ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:
I think art and science should coexist and get equal funding. Both are useful in different ways, why can't more people see that?

Paid for by whom? Wealth is created by the technical types. Engineers and Scientists. The other chrome domes are great a expropriating and redistributing what they cannot create.

ruveyn

Governments pay more for science than arts. Art organizations have to rely on donations often.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

ruveyn

Governments pay more for science than arts. Art organizations have to rely on donations often.

The value of art is subjective. The value of science and engineering is objective. That is the difference. Has art ever lit up your home when it is dark? Has it kept you warm during the winter/

ruveyn

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 6:56 pm

ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

ruveyn

The value of art is subjective. The value of science and engineering is objective. That is the difference. Has art ever lit up your home when it is dark? Has it kept you warm during the winter/

ruveyn

No, but it has given me emotional release. science cannot do that. They satisfy different needs.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

It did when I burned a pile of "abstract expressionism" paintings.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:10 pm

Why not the Jackson Pollock paintings? He deserves it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:11 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:

I'll be sure to add them to the pile next time. :wink:

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:12 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

I'll be sure to add them to the pile next time. :wink:

And Rothko! They are the only two who deserve it.

And perhaps Andy Warhol.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:59 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
[

It did when I burned a pile of "abstract expressionism" paintings.

Good shot!

ruveyn

Utnapishtim
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2012, 8:04 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:

Yep science grads get payed more that arts grads. I remember once while at university, my student union one week pointed out that fact by having four price lists of one for male arts students, male science students (me at the time), female arts students and female students of there coffee shop. That week they whated me to pay £4.50 for a cup of coffee, f**k off!! 8O
So I changed my coffee shop just for that week. :twisted: :lol:

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm

Yeah, artists can be really wasteful with their money sometimes. let me guess, they were writing novels in the coffee shop?

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 9:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

ruveyn

If you fail to see the value of the arts, I pity you. Your life must be an empty, barren place. Have you never read a book?

The arts have been here since long before science for a reason. Human beings require outlets, and science can't give those outlets. The art of spinning a story, capturing a moment (real or fantastic) in a lasting medium such as stone, or simply ruminating on some odd topic or another is something humans have done for a very long time, and will very likely continue to do if/when computers do all the actual work for us.

I would also point out that the arts are an exercise in creativity, which is entirely necessary for science to advance in any new direction. In order for science to grow, one must first have ideas to question and test. The atom was thought of long before science had the ability to actually test the theory.

Hell, on a purely materialistic side, take a look at the entertainment industry. The arts make money. People want movies, books, music, plays, etc.

You will reap what you've sown.

Utnapishtim
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2012, 9:43 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
Yeah, artists can be really wasteful with their money sometimes. let me guess, they were writing novels in the coffee shop?

MMM...I wouldn't say that if I were you in my neighborhood if I were you, as I live need two art schools, a performing arts school and an architecture school. :lol:

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 10:44 pm

abacacus wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

ruveyn

If you fail to see the value of the arts, I pity you. Your life must be an empty, barren place. Have you never read a book?

The arts have been here since long before science for a reason. Human beings require outlets, and science can't give those outlets. The art of spinning a story, capturing a moment (real or fantastic) in a lasting medium such as stone, or simply ruminating on some odd topic or another is something humans have done for a very long time, and will very likely continue to do if/when computers do all the actual work for us.

I would also point out that the arts are an exercise in creativity, which is entirely necessary for science to advance in any new direction. In order for science to grow, one must first have ideas to question and test. The atom was thought of long before science had the ability to actually test the theory.

Hell, on a purely materialistic side, take a look at the entertainment industry. The arts make money. People want movies, books, music, plays, etc.

Thank you for explaining this, What saddens me is that most people STEAL the entertainment and art related materials while they always pay for science. Musicians in particular are suffering.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 10:59 pm

Utnapishtim wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

MMM...I wouldn't say that if I were you in my neighborhood if I were you, as I live need two art schools, a performing arts school and an architecture school. :lol:

I love talking to artists but I have to admit...they can be really stupid at times. Like supporting Lou Reed.