Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2012, 11:56 pm

I am trying to get my head around this topic...

So I thought I would put it to you guys to hear your opinions...

Is awareness of the word autism and the existence of it helpful to you?

Can it create an ignorant awareness? (i.e. people know the word and maybe one fact about it, or even an incorrect fact. Hence, before they never heard of autism, but now they have, and they have an incorrect perception of it which can be hard to shift - that is, they would now need to unlearn some facts before then learning the more accurate ones)

Does it matter in what way this awareness is acquired, as long as it is acquired? (i.e. the saying "Any publicity is good publicity")

Who do you think is motivated and/or open to learning about what it truly is?

Did you know the word autism/Asperger's before it became relevant to your life? Did this help/hinder you?

Is it that people don't know of it, or that people don't understand it which causes the greatest negative impact for you?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 12:01 am

Is awareness of the word autism and the existence of it helpful to you?

Most autism awareness seems to be ignorant awareness with inaccurate stereotypes.

Does it matter in what way this awareness is acquired, as long as it is acquired? (i.e. the saying "Any publicity is good publicity")

Most publicity about autism seems to be bad publicity.

Who do you think is motivated and/or open to learning about what it truly is?

I don't know.

Did you know the word autism/Asperger's before it became relevant to your life? Did this help/hinder you?

I knew the words, and I heard them applied to me, but they did not make any impression upon me. I think that I inadvertently admitted to several people that I had autism or AS without knowing that I was in fact autistic.

Is it that people don't know of it, or that people don't understand it which causes the greatest negative impact for you?

It is that people know of it, but know the wrong things about it, e.g. autistic people can't learn anything.