Do you think that AS is part of autism?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you think AS is just a higher functioning level of autism?
Yes 73%  73%  [ 33 ]
No 27%  27%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 45

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 3:23 am

Spelling has been one of my better points and if a word is spelt wrong it just looks wrong to me. Sometimes I have to write out a word just to be sure it is spelt correctly.

I don't know if Aspergers is necessarily less severe autism. Perhaps the impairments are less obvious but they are still very pervasive. I think it is a little bit different to autism as such.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 3:25 am

Well I think the fact I been diagnosed a year and a half before I got As and the average time a person has here is 1 - 2 hour's, what you think...., & the fact I had more disorder’s cancelled out hmmm does that mean then the research for the online test is false & I also would like to know what the ? end’s up been – as what happens if someone does not understand the question been asked… does it count against you or up your point’s… since the As diagnoses is slim chance of been right what does that make the test online…

Too many people are going out of the spectrum of As here....

sorry Pandora you hit submit before me :), was saying to machine - as to the reason it might of said she wasn't....

Last edited by logitechdog on 22 Dec 2006, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 3:28 am

Umm, I don't quite understand your point. Do you mean that some people are saying the online test isn't accurate?

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 3:31 am

Lightning88,

I know what you mean. Officially, it IS a type of autism. Many symptoms are the SAME. But yeah, you're right, it _can_ look very different. HEY, from what I can see you look normal. You probably usually seem normal in everything, but you're here, and you have been diagnosed as having AS, so I imagine something is different. We're all human after all.

I once met several Danish teenagers(In Denmark) that said they didn't speak english well. They had NO discernable accent, I saw no problem with the content, and they were fluent. Yet there was something that wasn't up to THEIR standards.

So self appraisal can sometimes be overly deprecating.

Still, not being able to spell carpet IS bad. I was _appaled_ when I heard some 3rd graders couldn't read!(BTW that is in NORMAL schools)! I asked some teachers about it, and MOST said they would NOT teach kids to read. They felt it was too stressful for kids. Frankly, I find reading as one of the best ways to learn. Why deny kids of that ability?

That girl might have not been so HFA, and might have been a product of a bad school system, and simply used autism as an excuse.

As for your talking late? Maybe it was selective. Apparantly Einstein and I have something in common. We both just started talking one day! According to my mother, I never babbled, or made sounds, but around 2 I started talking like I had been talking for 3 or 4 years. Maybe you had the same kind of thing. And HECK, even TODAY I often don't speak much. Left to my own, with plenty of work, I could go, and have gone, days without talking on the job. When I am on the beach, like today, I sometimes go days without talking. Whos to say I didn't do the same thing as a little kid. Maybe you did also.

BTW I used to spell better. I DID have a better memory, and did write more. I also cared a bit more, and was in a society that cared more about a good education. These days it is amazing I don't use tons of slang, pidgeon english, double negatives, and swearing, because I hear enough of it.

BTW I would LOVE for it to be considered different. I'm toying with the idea of telling my father about this. It certainly would be easier if it didn't have ties to autism.

BTW Apparantly it is rare to be reading before you are 6 or so. That is what I infer from people noting people learned to read by 5, etc.... I definately WAS reading before 5, but my mother isn't sure whether it was 3 or 4. I guess I couldn't have done it much before 3 because of when I was talking, and that I can still remember sounding out words like vegetable or photography about that time.

Steve

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

22 Dec 2006, 4:04 am

logitechdog wrote:

sorry Pandora you hit submit before me :), was saying to machine - as to the reason it might of said she wasn't....

No my point is these people she feels are so different likely score higher on that test.
Meaning she is on a milder side of the spectrum. Like you I'm very dyslexic thats something that is more likely to be comorbit with AS than not according to RDOS(the
guy who wrote the test). That may or may not be used by doctors to make an
offical dx. And RDOS theory may not be right to use such question in his AS test.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 4:04 am

Pandora sorry was talking to machine - as for the test I don't think it's very good unless you stick all the other disorder's that can be mistaken for As... I am still shifting through all the evaluation stuff for that test... It is about as good as going in for the 1 - 2 hour test that seam’s to be getting done... which I am shocked they can evaluate that fast as even x-ray type stuff take's longer - plus other test's are done...

http://www.rdos.net/eng/

Scrap all that this is simpler click on (The Neanderthal theory) Link

Down boy - wasn't finished hehehe

Last edited by logitechdog on 22 Dec 2006, 5:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 4:42 am

logitechdog wrote:
Pandora sorry was talking to machine - as for the test I don't think it's very good unless you stick all the other disorder's that can be mistaken for As... I am still shifting through all the evaluation stuff for that test... It is about as good as going in for the 1 - 2 hour test that seam’s to be getting done... which I am shocked they can evaluate that fast as even x-ray type stuff take's longer - plus other test's are done...

http://www.rdos.net/eng/aspeval/avg.htm why's the numbers so low.......

The correlation is defined only if both of the standard deviations are finite and both of them are nonzero. It is a corollary of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality that the correlation cannot exceed 1 in absolute value.

The correlation is 1 in the case of an increasing linear relationship, −1 in the case of a decreasing linear relationship, and some value in between in all other cases, indicating the degree of linear dependence between the variables. The closer the coefficient is to either −1 or 1, the stronger the correlation between the variables.

If the variables are independent then the correlation is 0, but the converse is not true because the correlation coefficient detects only linear dependencies between two variables. Here is an example: Suppose the random variable X is uniformly distributed on the interval from −1 to 1, and Y = X2. Then Y is completely determined by X, so that X and Y are dependent, but their correlation is zero; they are uncorrelated. However, in the special case when X and Y are jointly normal, independence is equivalent to uncorrelatedness.

A correlation between two variables is diluted in the presence of measurement error around estimates of one or both variables, in which case disattenuation provides a more accurate coefficient.

She scored low because she has more NT traits than AS traits.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 7:29 am

TheMachine1,

I have refered at times to a spark here.

AS people apparantly as one typical AS symptom just can't let go. OK, unfortunately maybe we can, but it can take some effort and/or time.

MOST creatures have a NEED to communicate, and at least hit a certain norm.

Apparantly, most NT people do that.

With AS people, I guess it is the first obsession or something. they just keep going for a while. So they start being accused of using "big words", etc... They may want MORE, and read earlier.

So lightning88 would be MORE likely to say what she is saying if she was an aspie!

As for the test? I could see how scores could go all over the map. I trust she is smart enough to figure she fits, and someone obviously agrees.

Anyway, the basis for her question is not some theory she just made up. It is FACT! Asperger described his kids as "little professors", and spoke of them using "big" words, etc... ALSO, HFA people are supposed to have significant delays in such things. So it is CLEAR that she is correct.

Steve

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 7:58 am

SteveK wrote:
Anyway, the basis for her question is not some theory she just made up. It is FACT! Asperger described his kids as "little professors", and spoke of them using "big" words, etc... ALSO, HFA people are supposed to have significant delays in such things. So it is CLEAR that she is correct.

Steve

I can not spell words that I have looked up many times in most my posts. I usually avoid the words I can not spell. I learned to speak and read at a young age. HFA != Dyslexia. You have stated your Hyperlexia before. I have seen listed on the web that Dyslexia and Hyperlexia are opposites. Maybe in the extreme cases they are but I
have no doubt I know and can read and say as many words as a typical hyperlexic
I just reverse letters, use sound alikes, etc. Dyslexia is completely consistant with
AS. So the OP theory is wrong.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 8:16 am

themachine1,

OP?

I wasn't saying anything against you personally, only that what lightning88 said was a proper assessment. And I can't fault her for wanting to detach the two, or at least call attention to the difference.

And YEAH, dyslexia IS different from HFA, etc... ANYONE could have dyslexia. Dumb, smart, nt,as,hfa, etc... I am sure all have had someone with dyslexia. I won't fault anyone for having it.

As for the spelling problems? I even know all the stupid rhymes like "I before E except after C except when it sounds like ay, as in weigh." I STILL get them wrong. You know, it is FUNNY! I recently worked with a friend that prides himself on being a linguist. He complained about English not being phonetic. Almost every word he used as an example I would say "OH, that's not really an ENGLISH word, it's borrowed from french! THAT is why we nave terms like cest la vie and words like garage!". So yep, english can't really change like everyoe wants it to. That means you have THREE choices! Spell poorly. Learn origins, and appropriate conventions. Learn each wors spelling separately.

Still, lightnings example WAS a simple one, and the other girl likely spoke only English.

Steve

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 8:37 am

SteveK wrote:
OP?

I wasn't saying anything against you personally, only that what lightning88 said was a proper assessment. And I can't fault her for wanting to detach the two, or at least call attention to the difference.

Still, lightnings example WAS a simple one, and the other girl likely spoke only English.

OP = original post

Her assessment is wrong. The ability to spell or not to spell has very little to do with
AS,HFA,LFA dx. The OP whole theory is based on spelling and it crash and burns for
that reason.

I brought up her NT scoring on the RDOS test because it supports my theory of what
she is really trying to answer. "Why she is so differnet" from other people she has meet on the spectrum". The answer is she has mild AS and can not relate to them and
is trying to seperate herself from them by saying AS is very differnet from HFA. When
the truth is more likely she has mild AS.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 10:57 am

Is thie following dyslexia.....?

I have been a prolific reader since I can remember.I always have to have written material and think I actually "stim" by reading.However,I cant spell worth crap.I try and sound words out but cant tell if a word should have two consonants or one(ss,ll,gg,cc,etc),I get my vowels completely mixed up.....a,e,i.....I never know if I should drop the e,when I add a suffix.I do occasionally see letters backwards when I read but I can figure it our based on content.What I am wondering is.....is this miss wiring or poor memory(a big issue for me.)

Does anyone else have this issue?I think I read the "words shapes" and not the actual letters,as Catalista mentioned.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 11:10 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
OP = original post{/quote]

OH, Thanks!

TheMachine1 wrote:
Her assessment is wrong. The ability to spell or not to spell has very little to do with
AS,HFA,LFA dx. The OP whole theory is based on spelling and it crash and burns for
that reason.

You're right, I don't know if any disputed that. I guess an assessment WOULD be better if we knew HOW she would have spelled carpet.

TheMachine1 wrote:
I brought up her NT scoring on the RDOS test because it supports my theory of what
she is really trying to answer. "Why she is so differnet" from other people she has meet on the spectrum". The answer is she has mild AS and can not relate to them and
is trying to seperate herself from them by saying AS is very differnet from HFA. When
the truth is more likely she has mild AS.

Now I don't know if any of that is true. I don't know about her, but I haven't really been doing anything that would make people think I have an autism over all.

Then again, it IS a lot of perception. I don't communicate as well, don't have as much zeal, etc... if I am overwelmed. Frankly, on my job, I STILL do better than most others in the industry!

I once met a person that claimed to do BETTER under stress, and I had the ability to see her in such a situation. She was WORSE under stress! It is just that she was so bad other times that it wasn't that noticable.

Now is what I have a meltdown? It sounds like what you guys talk about but to a MILDer degree. I don't lose the ability to communicate, but words may get switched, I may talk with a lower volume, be poorer at choosing words, etc... Even how I pronounce words may change. They rarely happen all at once, though they have, and I think people DO ask me to repeat more often. The fact is that I just don't work well in crowds.

BTW you guys may have the same theories, etc... But I am almost like a computer. I CAN multitask, but the more things I have to do at once, the more everything suffers. When I am overwelmed ths way, I have to do my job. My job is NOT talking with idiots, or trying to explain things as they are done, or being a circus animal. My job is creating simple methods to allow THEM to get THEIR work done. That's it! That has been my entire career boiled down to one sentence.

So here I am trying to do my job(one task I could be in a desert, and still trying to do thinfgs in my head. Half the time I don't even know I am doing it until I get the answer.), while I am trying to determine what I have to do elsewhere(another task), Pull up historical, background and other data to be able to blow any arguments they have away(another task), analyze what I am going to say to predit how they will twist my words, so I can anticipate and perhaps prevent it, and also avoid telling them what I REALLY think of THEM (another task), while telling them the truth couched in a way where it sounds like what they wante to hear.(another task). Is it any wonder words may actually get switched, etc...?

As for the pacing? I don't think I even listed on the test because I hadn't done it in a while that I could remember. I did it yesterday. And HEY, I COULD stop. Maybe lightning88 is the same way. Who knows. As for the other stims I have done, same thing. None are unusual except for the rocking really. And THAT is subtle. If I need to be still, I can be VERY still. Heck, I practically forget to breath in the doctors office while s/he checks me out with a stethescope. SERIOUSLY. Apparantly this happens sometimes outside as well. I even asked my cardiologist about it. That was before I heard about aspergers, but after my operation. I may sometimes almost gasp. My mouth is closed, etc... It isn't very noticable, and nobody has noticed it, but I will take a really deep breath. He said it was normal!

I have EVEN forgotten to blink before. I never thought that was possible. It is. After looking on some sites, maybe it is an autistic symptom. I didn't notice it until I had spent the better part of 24 hours in front of a monitor, and my eyes got irritated. I started blinking every now and then, and the problem vanished. That is something nobody could tell I was ever trying to do.

You know SOMETHING similar, or more obvious, is going on with her because she was diagnosed, etc... With me, I have done a lot of this in front of a doctor, and s/he didn't even seem to notice. I was BORED with class work, had trouble with social interaction, etc... Few seemed to care. GRANTED today I might have caused some over zealous person to DX me with AS or something, but if the problems were slight, etc... I'd shrug it off.

BTW a lot of the things people here say are autism or AS ARE comorbid, and certainly not a required part of the spectrum. Who's to say what mild really is?

Steve

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 5:22 pm

SteveK wrote:

BTW a lot of the things people here say are autism or AS ARE comorbid, and certainly not a required part of the spectrum. Who's to say what mild really is?

Thats true but the core feature that is AS is social cognitive problems that leads to greatly delayed social skills acquisition. That part and that part alone of AS is the part
of AS that may reduce a person quality of life. So for me mild to extreme AS is completely measured by social skills. The OPster said she was more social and I assume her testing on RDOS's test had to back that up with her NT scoring.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 8:33 pm

Still, I don't think she would be that bad off unless there was something we aren't seeing, or she was REALLY bad, which I think WOULD come through in her posts.

To make it clear though, I agree, and wikipedia DOES state that social deficiencies ARE the main symptom. I am simply saying that they may present differently for a pretty girl. than they would for most others.

And HEY, if I was not opinionated, didn't mind lying, was dealing with people I know in public issues, and it didn't deal with sports, I could probably do fine. I'm not TOTALLY inept there. Sometimes even people I don't like because I feel they don't like me, because they act like it, turn out doing very friendly things.

Who knows, MAYBE if I didn't move around so much, I would be talking like lightning88. The moves definately DID limit the number of people I really know, and that may even have hindered sports. I am opinionated. Apparantly some of that might be AS. I DO mind lying. I am not a good liar anyway, and wish everyone could just tell the unvarnished truth. As for the public issues part, or unknown people? Well, I really don't know how to bring up some stuff.

There is even a commercial here(As I recall it is a cell phone commercial). The guy sees two gals at a restaurant, and asks his "friends" for ways to start a conversation. He gets lots of bad advice, and the gals basically have him get lost. I guess others can't generally be THAT much better than I am, because of all the businesses started to support such people. it is just that I realize that 1/3 are scams, 1/3 I just won't touch, and 1/3 I see no point in and won't touch.

Steve

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2006, 1:55 am

While in a way the autism "spectrum" is like a spectrum in that certain abilities decrease sort of gradually as you get more severe, I've always felt that there's quite a sharp discontinuity where the capacity for oral and/or written language is lost. Someone may not be able to write novels or elaborate essays, but if he or she can communicate everyday, basic thoughts in a manner that other people understand, that's a lot different from someone who can't do more than hum and make undecipherable hand gestures. So maybe the big divide is not between Aspergers and the high-functioning end of autism (which often seem to be interchangeable), but somewhere within autism itself, where those who can speak for themselves are divided from those who can't.