Do you think that AS is part of autism?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you think AS is just a higher functioning level of autism?
Yes 73%  73%  [ 33 ]
No 27%  27%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 45

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2006, 6:29 pm

I think AS could conceivably be an outcropping of some cause other than autism, though they both share a lot of effects.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 2:32 am

SteveK wrote:
Wait a second!

1. Caucasions DO have pigment. It is just generally a different type and mostly adaptive.
2. Even THEN, a lot of red heads have a tendency to get freckles, rather that a full coloration, so there are variances.
3. Who says neandertals even had such pigment?
4. Who is to say that that came from neandertals

1. There is a study of the genetic background of red-hair done by Rosalind Harding. It dates the mutations to "Neanderthal times".

2. Depigmentation, freckles and red-hair are correlated.

3. I've had the question about hair-color and eye-color in three different version, and in all of them red-hair color and light-brown/hazel eye color is associated with high Aspie-score.

SteveK wrote:
5. I'll get railed on for this, but a LOT of blacks look like they have some caucasion blood as well. Just look at the descriptions of race, and compare. It doesn't just mention skin color. I don't know WHEN it started, but you never know. There may be a little caucasion blood in most non african families, and even in several african ones. I say caucasion only because Caucasions are to only ones having those traits without others. Some blacks DO obviously have asian traits, etc... but most appear more caucasion. Also, many do admit it.

Quite irrelevant. I'm sure there are all kinds of admixture and clines between races, but this is just expected. The only thing I care about is that African-descent people have 1/6 the autism prevalence compared to Caucasians (in the US population).

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 4:01 pm

rdos wrote:
SteveK wrote:
Wait a second!

1. Caucasions DO have pigment. It is just generally a different type and mostly adaptive.
2. Even THEN, a lot of red heads have a tendency to get freckles, rather that a full coloration, so there are variances.
3. Who says neandertals even had such pigment?
4. Who is to say that that came from neandertals

1. There is a study of the genetic background of red-hair done by Rosalind Harding. It dates the mutations to "Neanderthal times".

2. Depigmentation, freckles and red-hair are correlated.

3. I've had the question about hair-color and eye-color in three different version, and in all of them red-hair color and light-brown/hazel eye color is associated with high Aspie-score.

Actually, brown eyes(and hazel if you mean effectively brown) are VERY common. Like the A blood type, it may be a meaningless correlation. I HAVE seen a number of pictures of AS people with green eyes though. Green eyes aren't so common.

ALSO, I HAVE known a number of redheads that definately weren't AS.

The oldest mummy I heard of was not neanderthal It DID happen to have red hair though, and was found in china of all places. He wasn't asian! He was definately caucasion. I BELIEVE he was supposed to be 12-14 thousand years old.

Steve

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 4:18 pm

SteveK wrote:
Actually, brown eyes(and hazel if you mean effectively brown) are VERY common.

I know they are common.

SteveK wrote:
Like the A blood type, it may be a meaningless correlation. I HAVE seen a number of pictures of AS people with green eyes though. Green eyes aren't so common.

Green eye-color is underrepresentated in Aspies!

The correlations are not meaningless. I also show the 95% CI in the reports.

Here are the results in version 6-8:
Red hair:
AS: 10.1-12.8, 10.2-13.4, 9.6-12.7
NT: 8.7-11.0, 6.5-9.6, 7.3-10.1

Some of the intervals are non-overlapping (version 7), while others are not.

Brown/hazel eye:
AS: 32.9-37.9, 34.4-40.0, 40.7-45.4
NT: 30.6-34.8, 27.2-33.3, 31.8-36.3

Version 7 and 8 have non-overlapping 95% CI.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 9:52 pm

Flagg wrote:
The logic fallacy here assumes all Autsies and Aspies think alike. But much like NT's we vary.
True. What I said, if it applies, will apply to general tendencies and averages, not a hard-and-fast rule.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 4:30 pm

maybe an Aspie solves his/her autistic-traits with his or her intelligence?

(like "in this situation we have 3 possibilities, in the first one this and that can change but generally i'm expected to do this and that , the 2 possibility , etc, etc" )

so that even if you don't have the feel of what you should do like an NT does, you end up having that much possibilities, that it doesn't show anymore, or at least not as long as you're confronted with a regular situation.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2006, 9:08 am

AS is a part of Autisim. We are the lowest rage on the spectrum.