Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 3:37 pm

I mean, on the Moon you can't walk outside without a spacesuit on.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 3:42 pm

It would be a very bad place to live, I suspect during a solar flare you might get a nasty dose of radiation. I am not sure how much of it would be gamma and how much would be charged particles such as protons but I recall that protons have a higher LET than gamma so it will do you more damage joule for joule than the gamma and beta background on earth.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 3:47 pm

I'd prefer to live somewhere that was terraformed. A place where I can walk outside without needing a spacesuit.

CftxP
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2012, 4:27 pm

I thought the purpose of space domes was to combat the fact that you'd have to walk with a spacesuit. :o

It's not necessarily going to be like walking through a park or something like that, but the moon could be a great place to live once the pioneers find out how to take advantage of the environment. As for the radiation risk, we'd have to invent a form of glass that can withstand solar flares so that our eyes won't hurt and our bodies won't burn. But I do think there's a chance the moon could be Terra formed, just that it won't happen soon enough for anyone here to possibly experience it. :p

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 4:29 pm

Jitro wrote:
I mean, on the Moon you can't walk outside without a spacesuit on.

It gets worse, no natural protection from solar radiation, 180 celcius in direct sunlight and -180 celcius in the shade, and the gravitational force is one sixth of what it is on the earth. Prolonged periods in zero or low gravity has a negative effect on the human skeleton and general health.

The only thing going for it is that its far far closer than Mars.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 4:33 pm

oh, and this

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 4:38 pm

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 04 Dec 2012, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm

Jitro wrote:
Would the Moon be a bad place to live? I mean, on the Moon you can't walk outside without a spacesuit on.

Why do you keep asking questions when you already know the answers?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 4:59 pm

I think living on something with virtually no atmosphere would be very risky. I think the risks could be minimized by living underground... I don't think the moon has any seismic activity does it? And while we are on the subject of the moon, how come it doesn't have a real name? Other moons in our system have names, but the moon's is just "The Moon". Why do we call it that, but we don't call Earth "The Planet"?

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 5:31 pm

SpiritBlooms wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
It gets worse, no natural protection from solar radiation, 180 celcius in direct sunlight and -180 celcius in the shade, and the gravitational force is one sixth of what it is on the earth. Prolonged periods in zero or low gravity has a negative effect on the human skeleton and general health.

The only thing going for it is that its far far closer than Mars.
This. But if you had an awesome-cool dome to protect you, and plenty of supplies laid in, I imagine it could be a hermit's paradise. But for myself, I think I prefer Earth, even crowded as it is.

theres no getting around the low gravity problem though. I think lunar colonists will have to restrict themselves to 1 year stays, or 2 at the most.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 5:38 pm

Keep in mind that the moon has no atmosphere to burn up incoming meteors. If a meteor is on a path to strike the moon, then it is going to strike the moon. Any dome or other habitat on the moon would have to be strong enough to survive the strikes without massive failure and easy to repair the cracks and holes.

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 5:38 pm

Aharon wrote:
And while we are on the subject of the moon, how come it doesn't have a real name? Other moons in our system have names, but the moon's is just "The Moon". Why do we call it that, but we don't call Earth "The Planet"?

We do refer to Earth as "The World". The reason why our moon doesn't have a name besides "The Moon" is because it was the first moon that was known by humans, and then we started using "moon" to refer to satellites of other planets as they were discovered.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 5:51 pm

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 04 Dec 2012, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 8:16 pm

Jitro wrote:
I'd prefer to live somewhere that was terraformed. A place where I can walk outside without needing a spacesuit.

Don't hold your breath for that to happen. We haven't even terraformed our own planet.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 8:19 pm

thomas81 wrote:

theres no getting around the low gravity problem though. I think lunar colonists will have to restrict themselves to 1 year stays, or 2 at the most.

Only if they wanted to return to earth normal; gravitation. If a person wanted to spend his life on Luna eventually we may have long term habitations there to accomedate him. A person born on the Moon probably would not do well in Earth normal gravitation and his body would develop differently from those who are earth born.

ruveyn

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:44 am

If a lunar colony was far enough underground, it wouldn't have to worry about radiation. The last seismic event on the moon is believed to have taken place millions of years ago(googled it). Of course making a self sustaining habitat would require us to bring enough water and carbon on site and find a way to extract lunar elements for industrial use with little to no human involvement in the very beginning.

Being confined to a limited indoor environment is a terrible way to live though, I wouldn't live there unless there was a high ratio of free space to inhabitants.