Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:12 pm

this is a difficult question for me to answer. stereotype is about other people's perceptions of me. i haven't a clue how others actually see me or interpret the things I do.

AlmaBrown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2012, 7:21 pm

MrStewart wrote:
this is a difficult question for me to answer. stereotype is about other people's perceptions of me. I haven't a clue how others actually see me or interpret the things I do.

Same. It's this kind of blindness that usually leaves me feeling like the floor has dropped out from under me in social situations. I do have some record of verbal feedback. I have been called:

- Freak
- Dork
- Weird
- Cold
- Harsh
- Smug
- Emotionless
- Rude
- Self absorbed
- Detached
- Narcissistic
- Cute
- Pretentious
- Condescending
- Impatient
- Sharp

So there's that. Other than that, I do get obsessed with weird things. I am not skinny. I have had friends in the past. I can maintain eye contact for short periods of time. I am very good at reading other people's expressions.

I'm not sure if I fit into the stereotype. Or any stereotype for that matter.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:35 pm

The firefighters R hot stereotype is totally true. Once, I thought that there was a gas leak at my house and called the firefighters, and they came in two byoootiful red fire trucks, and they were all so hot. Older or younger, they were hot, so so so hot, all so hot.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 10:42 pm

babybuggy32 wrote:
there are so many autism stereotypes that just don't apply to me. for instance: i have very good muscle tone and am physically quite strong. i don't have any bizarre interests like bus schedules and whatnot. i am very good at communicating my feelings and thoughts. my gross motor skills are pretty normal. i don't come across as dorky or nerdy. i am able to judge social situations pretty accurately (although sometimes i would rather be oblivious). i never had any weird eating habits and am pretty open minded with new foods. i cannot do routines! i hate them and they drive me nuts. i am not studious and cannot understand math and certain types of science. im not too big on repetition. i have no attention to detail whatsoever! in fact that has gotten me in trouble.... i could go on but i shan't. oh and humor.. it's what i'm known for.

i do fit the stereotype in that i hate feeling anything grimy/dirty anything with gross textures, i am very good with words and language, i have limited empathy when bad things happen to "bad people" (gang members), very anxious at times, no desire to "kiss ass"/put up a front...

thats all i can think of right now.

You don't seem very efected by AS babybuggy, I was wondering what austistic traits you have or are suffering from.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 10:47 pm

babybuggy32 wrote:
also i am not sensitive to the effects of drugs in the least. i can tolerate more than most when it comes to almost any drug. alcohol, cannabis, amphetamine, cocaine, opiates, hallucinogens. i am however very sensitive to cigarrettes and cannot smoke nearly as much as anyone i know :?.
i do not have a "photographic memory" and have a hard time remembering my work schedule, obligations, chores and any important details. i have some mechanical ability such as fixing things around the house, but no idea how things actually work.

Do you think your drug use, which seems rather extensive, could have had an influence your diagnosis?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Dec 2012, 10:53 pm

babybuggy32 wrote:
what is STEM? never heard of it

Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 8:07 am

I fit well with most of the aspects of the nerdy AS cliché (albeit with facial piercings and a mohawk). However, since I am now 30, I have gradually become better at at least appearing to be comfortable and outgoing in social settings (despite what I might actually be feeling).

Alexithymia: 137

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 9:26 am

MrStewart wrote:
this is a difficult question for me to answer. stereotype is about other people's perceptions of me. i haven't a clue how others actually see me or interpret the things I do.

Same here, too. I've heard a wide array of comments about myself over the years, and the one that fits best is "complicated".

TommyGun991
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

I don't know really, maybe somewhat.
- I'm bad with maths, really bad, I look at it a mechanical level, instead of being creative about it, I try to remember a way to solve a group of problems and try to apply it wherever I can. When I come across a problem, I don't know how to solve it beyond my memorized method.
- someone has mentioned it on the thread, I do rocking motions while sitting and I realized I was rocking as I was reading that comment
- physical contact feels weird, but maybe that's because I'm so used to it. When I pose for a photo with my female friends I can barely force myself to my arms around them
- my muscles are great compared to how how physically inactive I am
- I don't have obsessions per se but when I come across a subject I'm interested in, I'll explore it vehemently for some time until I feel I've explored it enough
- my balance is actually extraordinary, I never stumble and fall, when I was playing soccer, no one could bring me down. But my fine motorics sucks, my handwriting is very bad and I can't draw
- I come across as intelligent and quirky, I make a lot of eccentric jokes and really hit it off with people similar to me, the others just find it cute. People who aren't weird like I am seem to like me in small doses, they'll talk to me and laugh during classes, but wont' ring me up to hang out after the classes are over
- I've managed to get over serious social impairment and I can hold my own, but it's hard and I still rather not socialize when I can avoid it, I'm scared of talking to strangers on the phone or in person, one of the reasons I've never had a job
- I sometimes have a hard time articulating my thoughts, which is funny, because I'm studying education and will probably work as a teacher, but I'll compensate with preparation I guess

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 3:18 pm

I definitely fit most of the stereotypes as a kid, but not so much today.

As a kid, I had a monotone, formal voice and definitely talked like a "little professor". I had very obvious special interests, which were often strange and very advanced for my years. For example, at the age of 3-4, I was interested in dinosaurs, knew all of their names, and had memorized concepts such as periods of time (cambrian, cretatious etc.) I was very, very nerdy. :) I loved stuff in categories or series, and preferred very specific toys and books over others due to their membership in a series or some other specific aspect. I played by lining up and categorizing toys, as well as reading the same books over and over again. Today, while many of my interests still involve specific things, they are definitely not nearly as encompassing and intense as they were when I was a child....some I will only touch upon every few months. As well, I don't talk about them unless I think the person might be interested.

I had no theory of mind and had no idea how to behave around other people. I mainly interacted with people by collecting info from them related to my special interests. (like asking them where they got their bathing suits...I kid you not!) rather than play with them or engage in conversations. I now have friends and can engage in conversations well with other people, depending who they are.

I had obvious sensory issues, but I can only remember stimming at one time during my childhood (my hand freezing up and shaking). I never rocked or did any other repetitive motor mannerisms, other than constantly standing on my tiptoes to the point where it was obvious and people noticed. I didn't mind physical contact though...touch wasn't an issue, but temperature and smell were huge issues. I was also an extremely picky eater. I no longer have any of the above sensory issues today.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2012, 11:51 am

no my drug use had no bearings on my diagnosis as i was diagnosed at about 5. at the insistence of my mother

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 12:27 pm

Merculangelo wrote:
I know what you mean. I have a hard time because I was diagnosed with dyscalculia, but I don't fit the stereotype at all because I'm an engineer and tutor other people in math. Some people might be all like, "well you obviously don't have dyscalculia then." But duh, what do they know because my doctor said I have it.

It is possible to become good at maths if you have dyscalculia, we just have to work a lot harder in order to learn it. Same as a lot of dyslexic people are able to read books or become English teachers. The only reason my dyscalculia affects my maths ability so much is because I let it!

As for the stereotypes I don't fit:

I am female
I am not a maths expert
I have an excellent sense of humour (or so I have been told)

These stereotypes are the ones made by society and film makers rather than the actual criteria though.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 4:19 pm

Some of it but not all of it.