Page 6 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 8:04 pm

Joe90 wrote:
There was a thread here saying we're more overweight. :roll:

Let me just say this for the record. Autism does not affect your weight. If you eat a lot but don't put on weight, or you don't eat much but can't lose the weight, it's not because you're autistic, it's to do with genes, age and/or lifestyle, or having some sort of illness or physical condition. Same applies to NTs.

Or what you are eating. There is lot of food out there that is just empty calories and will make you more hungry so you eat more than your body needs. There has been lawsuits against food industries because of what they put in the food.

Plus there are foods out there that are marked healthy but they are not. Just because it has chicken in it doesn't mean it's healthy or just because it says it has good source of vitamin C.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 8:25 pm

Fun fact: never trust BMI

You can be overweight on BMI, but be healthy (or even too thin!) in real life
You can also be underweight on BMI but actually be healthy weight in real life
And you can be healthy weight, but actually too thin in real life
It has to do more with your body type, and muscle/fat percentage
I had a friend who almost starved to death and noone noticed because they worked out obsessively and had lots of muscle mass so they never were "underweight" according to the scale/bmi.

I agree though. Weight has nothing to do with Autism. Your eating habits might, but not how you naturally lose or gain weight/how fast your metabolism is.