Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2004, 1:12 am

Is this something you guys are good at? I got my list of 911 codes that I have to memorize by Monday after next when training starts (for once, thank God I have Asperger's - I'm sure the other recruits are having panic attacks . . .) - ANYWAY, while I was making my flashcards I noticed several patterns - for example, the general, EMS, Fire, and combined codes are roughly all the same - like a near drowning is NDROWN on the general, NDROWE on EMS, NDROWF on Fire, and NDROWC on combined - at first I couldn't figure out why they changed it at all, but then I realized that there can only be 6 characters and that they had to change the last one - now, this makes it very easy to remember this series of codes because all you have to do is remember the general code and remember the system you are in and realize that the last letter is the name of the system . . . this drops the number of codes from 210 to 207 on this example alone - there are plenty just like it . . .

Anyway, what I'm wondering is did I figure this out so easily because I have Asperger's and think logically or would an NT get this, too?

Wolfy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2004, 7:21 am

Greetings,

It seems like a fairly simple example - but there are more than a few nt's who would probably never get it :P

If anyone remembers the ZX Spectrum (an 8 bit computer from the 80's which loaded stuff from audio casettes using high and low sound frequencies to represent 1's and 0's), I used to be able to identify any game just by the sound of the loader.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2004, 9:32 am

I tend to things like this too when I have to memorize things. Last semester when I was in environmental sciences, I had to memorize engery "budgets" as they related to the sun, atmosphere, and earth. It was much easier for me to take a group of three or four numbers and memorize together, rather try to memorize each one seperatly.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2004, 10:47 am

I use it when I have to learn a big list of things. I notice patterns in words, codes, numbers, but also in other things. It has always been quite easy for me.

Pattern recognition is a trait of Asperger's, but I think some NT's would probably get it too.

Loy

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2004, 12:52 pm

For me, my pattern recognition abilities seem very much to depend on the type of information presented. I'm not very good at remembering numeric or random-letter patterns; but, if the data is meaningful to me, I can sometimes pick up on the pattern fairly well.

For us aspies, social behavioral patterns are the last type of pattern our brains learn to recognize, it seems. By now, I've gotten pretty good at predicting people's behavior and emotional reactions in the abstract, at least. This is one of the few things that keeps me from being completely socially inept instead of just mostly socially inept.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2004, 2:12 pm

Another thing about patterns, When I was younger I use to watch lots of looney tunes when they were still on nickelodeon (when nickelodeon use to be a good channel, now it just sucks...) At the beginning of each cartoon under the warner bros. shield, they always had the copyright in roman numerals, and from that I learned to read roman numerals without ever actually have learned anything about them in school.

pretty cool!

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2004, 2:40 pm

Pattern recognition is a lot of fun, it's great entertainment to spot how things repeat over in nature or in human-made structures. I myself like pattern recognition in music a great deal -- especially Electronic Dance Music, being the loops-and-layers arts & culture that it is.

For example, often there will be 8 bar sections, and on a usual track, you might have a new element (like hi-hat, a new synth stab line, etc.) added on the start of the next 8-bars... kind of like a train picking up new passengers, or more aptly, another train on top of it without losing speed :), along the way. Loads of fun for me to spot where parts drop in and out, and there are all sorts of ways to introduce them -- sometimes they just come in, other times they fade in (may be a linear or an exponential curve depending on the desired effect), and other times they may be stuttered or scratched or dropped in with a special effect tweaking them for extra sonic variety.

Anyhoo that's enough about techno. I get enough as it is :P

Taineyah
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jul 2004, 10:09 pm

Yeah. I recognise patterns, too. That's why I don't read many novels anymore, although I'm obsessed with books. Novels all have the same pattern.... or the same two-three patterns, anyroad.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2005, 10:09 pm

I am a total pattern recognition expert. I see patterns in phone numbers, people's behavior, license plates. PIN numbers, etc.
For example My friend has 4398 as her plate number. I can remember it because assing 5 to 4 and 3 gives 9 and 8. Another was easy to remember because it was the second number multiplied by two plus one. I also tend to see patterns in social security numbers so I am able to tell in what state people got their number. I am also able to see where people take information from one place and promote it as their own idea. For example, Disney takes complete animated films from Japanese video - the most blatant was Treasure Planet, which copies directly from Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky. I also saw huge similarity between Harry Potter and the character in the Books of Magic comic book series, which was there first. They even have the same pet - an owl. And both billed as the most powerful wizard in the world.
Almost everything looks like patterns to me. This is why NT communication is so hard for me. No patterns at all, just chaos.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2005, 10:40 pm

I quite enjoy noticing patterns. Currently, I focus this on human behavior and abnormal psychology. I disregard what knowledge has come before unless it fits the pattern. Sorry, Freud. No dice. :lol:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 4:35 am

Sophist wrote:
Sorry, Freud. No dice. :lol:

On the topic of patterns; has anyone noticed that if you type $echo Freud | sed 's/e/a/gi' then you get a slightly more robust intellectual assessment of Sigmund Freud?