As an aspie what do you do for a living?

Page 1 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

polo6068
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Dec 2012, 3:48 pm

i'm just curious to hear what many people with Asperger's syndrome do as an occupation, do you do a job that is heavily involved in your special interest or not?
what is your special interest? just curious

Last edited by polo6068 on 02 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 3:53 pm

I clean at an old people's home, 3 days a week.

Wish I could get a job related to do my special interests, but that's easily said than done at the moment.

polo6068
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

I don't mean to sound nosy but what is your special interest?

AndreasF
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Dec 2012, 3:56 pm

I do television production for a living as a technician.

This is one of my absolute interests too and everything I learn.. Well, you know the rest :D

It's on freelance basis and I've been selfemployed for 11 years now.
I can't see myself with a "regular" job as I tend to develop myself a lot faster than the enviroment around me.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 3:58 pm

I work for the government as an analyst.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 3:59 pm

Ironically, I'm a Life Skills educator for a homelessness recovery... but I'm also a poet and playwright, and speak and write on autism
spectrum disorders

Teaching Life Skills pays the bills though (barely).

Writing is always related to my special interesta (medieval history, astrology, astronomy, silent films), but the LS training really has nothing to do with it and I find it rather boring.

Last edited by dyingofpoetry on 02 Dec 2012, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hauge
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm

Working with youngsters with special needs, and as IT-Tech/admin, at the same place.
- 26 hours a week...
Ohh. Forgot. Special interest... Hamradio, IT, HiFi and history. Somewhat drifting between them, as have for some 35 years!

AQ=44, EQ=7, SQ=64, Aspie-quiz AS=162/200 NT=37/200

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 4:27 pm

Professional student, becoming professor of history and foreign language.

Taking a while. My dream as well (besides being a professor) is to establish better services for disabled (especially autistics) at universities, as well as mentoring programs for gifted and disabled in higher education.

Maggot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2012, 4:30 pm

Artist and Educator in Art and Design Education. It's in my particular area of interest so I could talk about it all day long.

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2012, 4:33 pm

Nothing.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 4:41 pm

I'm a nurse. If I don't do that I'll be homeless. I don't have a choice.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2012, 4:41 pm

I develop software. For more information, read Moliere's play "The Doctor Despite Himself" and Sganarelle's monologue. "No, I tell you; they made a doctor of me in spite of myself. ... when I saw that they were resolved to force me to be a doctor, I made up my mind to be one at the expense of those I might have to do with. ... I find it the best of trades; for, whether we are right or wrong, we are paid equally well. ... The blunders are not ours, and the fault is always that of the dead man." Mutatis mutandis for software and developers instead of patients and doctors.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 4:47 pm

I'm a teacher at an international Montessori preschool/kindergarten. I recently had to reduce my working hours from 40 to 35 because I was getting too overstimulated and having meltdowns every day. It's a very difficult job given my sensory issues (which are apparently very severe for someone with AS) but I can relate pretty well to kids and they like me because I'm strange and funny. It's not a "special interest" but there are limited job options for an English speaker here, and this is a hell of a lot better than teaching business English like I used to do.

seatbeltblue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2012, 4:51 pm

I do data entry for an online appliance retailer. It's incredibly monotonous, and I spend most of my time listening to history lectures or Beatles tunes.

I'm going to be starting grad school next fall, so hopefully that goes a bit better.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 4:52 pm

I'm the graphics department of a very small industrial film production company, but I do a little bit of everything because I like to stick my nose into everybody else's job. It began with motion graphics and visual effects, but since I have been a photographer for many years, I have expanded into doing the photographic post production and some photography for the company. I also do a bit of editing and a lot of technical support. There's also a bit of web design and print layout. Sometimes I do a bit of programming.

I'm not really sure I have a special interest... Unless it's figuring out how things work and learning how to use tools. Maybe photography is my special interest, but I keep getting burned out on the subject so I drop if for long periods of time. Or maybe it's animation (I was just animating some leaves today) but I'm not sure I have the patience to be a good animator.

Anyway, I'm easily bored and keep bouncing from one job to another, even though I've worked for the same company for years.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 4:56 pm

Music teacher.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I