Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2012, 9:41 pm

So I'm sure some of you guys have heard about the guy that killed his dad/dad's girlfriend with a knife and bow and arrow before killing himself a few days ago. Apparently, the guy had Aspergers and blamed his dad for it, so sad...
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/02 ... g-college/

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:54 pm

I wonder if he had any other psychiatric illness?Why would he blame his dad?Maybe some disorder that would make him paranoid.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 1:51 am

Very sad news. I'm surprised I didn't hear about this till now. Tragic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 3:10 am

Uh... Aspie pride...?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 4:29 am

Misslizard wrote:
I wonder if he had any other psychiatric illness?Why would he blame his dad?Maybe some disorder that would make him paranoid.

His father probably also had Asperger's, but was more socially successful as he managed to marry/procreate.

For the son, the stress of having AS in a world with NTs, coupled with having to live with a dominating aspie who couldn't prepare his son for the world, and probably had his own brand of ridiculous Aspie pride which he forced on his son, came together to make the kid snap.

I don't condone violence by any means, but try to comprehend before saying, "Well, the AS can't be the reason for this." Sometimes, people can be too apologetic here.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 4:03 pm

Aspergers wasn't the root issue there. Depression is and he was making a scapegoat out of Aspergers and not dealing with his problems. I have my doubts he was on anything, at least during the crimes, since his motor coordination seemed good.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 4:43 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Aspergers wasn't the root issue there. Depression is and he was making a scapegoat out of Aspergers and not dealing with his problems. I have my doubts he was on anything, at least during the crimes, since his motor coordination seemed good.

Believe it or not..., I'm in agreement with you!

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 11:37 am

John_Browning wrote:

How do you know his motor co-ordination seemed good?

By his use of a bow and arrow?

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 11:53 pm

I live in Laramie and a lot of my friends are here from Casper for school including both of my exes, so yeah was all over the news. First I heard about him being an Aspie, though. Still, little s**t needed to learn that it's not the reason for his problems, and that he could have lived life if he wanted to. No, instead he had to blame it all on his parents and his label, not himself, and now we've got yet another tragic occurrence that makes the rest of us look bad.

I have zero sympathy for him, all I care about is the mess he's made. How do you think people who know I'm an Aspie will treat me once they hear this?

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 6:27 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
I live in Laramie and a lot of my friends are here from Casper for school including both of my exes, so yeah was all over the news. First I heard about him being an Aspie, though. Still, little sh** needed to learn that it's not the reason for his problems, and that he could have lived life if he wanted to. No, instead he had to blame it all on his parents and his label, not himself, and now we've got yet another tragic occurrence that makes the rest of us look bad.

I have zero sympathy for him, all I care about is the mess he's made. How do you think people who know I'm an Aspie will treat me once they hear this?

I feel sympathy for him as it's an indication of how much his experiences had messed his mind up.

I've often had violent thoughts about others but luckily they remained in my head. People have varying levels of self control and varying levels of provocation in their lives.

Society has a role to play in creating people like this but invariably seeks to distance itself from this fact by making the perpetrator into someone inhuman and nothing like them.

I would be interested in seeing links to any local news articles about this incident as we get a different type of report over here in the UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

The above is an article from the website of a national newspaper in the UK - the Daily Mail

This is the first time I have seen a photo of the boy's deceased father - James Krumm
and I have to say he looks a bit of a bully to me - just going on first impressions and his father's girlfriend looks pretty NT and annoying!

Obviously I have no way of knowing if he was or not but that is my first impression re the aura he is giving off to me

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 8:27 am

This is a more informative article:-

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Aunt+ ... story.html

"CHEYENNE, Wyo. - A man who killed his father in front of a computer science class at a community college was a "borderline genius" upset by the belief he had inherited Asperger's Syndrome from his dad, an aunt of the killer said Monday.

Christopher Krumm, 25, blamed Asperger's for his trouble keeping jobs after he got a master's degree in electrical engineering from Colorado School of Mines in 2009, said Barbara Nichols, of Bakersfield, California.

"Nice to be around. Never caused any trouble of any kind," said Nichols, who'd briefly lived with her sister's family in Casper in the early 1990s.

Asperger's is a mild form of autism. Asperger's is associated with difficulty making social connections but is not normally associated with predilection to violent behaviour.

Krumm seemed normal to relatives as recently as three years ago, but then had a falling-out with his father. An uncle, Jon Sims, of Cheyenne, said he tried several times in recent years to reach his nephew by email, without success.

"As far as I know, he lived alone and had some social skill problems," Sims said.

Sims and Nichols both said they didn't know of any official diagnosis of Asperger's, but that Krumm may have diagnosed himself. Nichols said James Krumm told her that his son blamed him for Asperger's.

"He said 'He hates me. He blames me for this Asperger's,' " she said."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Aunt+ ... z2EN9S6T9M

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 5:50 pm

Well, perhaps I'm being too hard on him, but I'm right down the road and a good portion of the people living in Laramie are students whose permanent residences are elsewhere in the state. I'm having issues right now with people thinking I'm psychotic or some s**t, there were a few minor incidents involving the Anime Club here on campus, some of that was due to my issues with anger management but at the same time I'm nowhere close to the kind of person who would pull a stunt like this. Still, once they hear this kid was autistic it's not going to help my case at all.

I merely hope Kyuuchan doesn't think less of me for this. She's from Casper and has probably met the victims once or twice, and while she does take issue with my anger management problems, she still trusts me and is always willing to give me advice. She is one of the few people who can see me for whom I truly am, a socially-challenged and quick-tempered but kind-hearted person, who just needs a little help getting on his feet, and I don't want this to change her opinion of me.

She's GM'ing our last World of Darkness game this semester tomorrow, so I will probably try and ask her about it then. I should be able to convince her that predilection for violence isn't necessarily a common Aspie trait. Even if it were, I know she knows I would rather put a gun to my own head and pull the trigger than do anything to hurt her.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 7:00 pm

nessa238 wrote:

"CHEYENNE, Wyo. - A man who killed his father in front of a computer science class at a community college was a "borderline genius" upset by the belief he had inherited Asperger's Syndrome from his dad, an aunt of the killer said Monday.

Christopher Krumm, 25, blamed Asperger's for his trouble keeping jobs after he got a master's degree in electrical engineering from Colorado School of Mines in 2009, said Barbara Nichols, of Bakersfield, California.

"Nice to be around. Never caused any trouble of any kind," said Nichols, who'd briefly lived with her sister's family in Casper in the early 1990s.

Asperger's is a mild form of autism. Asperger's is associated with difficulty making social connections but is not normally associated with predilection to violent behaviour.

Krumm seemed normal to relatives as recently as three years ago, but then had a falling-out with his father. An uncle, Jon Sims, of Cheyenne, said he tried several times in recent years to reach his nephew by email, without success.

"As far as I know, he lived alone and had some social skill problems," Sims said.

Sims and Nichols both said they didn't know of any official diagnosis of Asperger's, but that Krumm may have diagnosed himself. Nichols said James Krumm told her that his son blamed him for Asperger's.

I have to think that self-imposed isolation did nothing but let him stew in his own bitterness and hatred. Had he responded to his uncle's emails, and talked to people close to him, It might have been possible he could have avoided killing his father.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 7:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

I have to think that self-imposed isolation did nothing but let him stew in his own bitterness and hatred. Had he responded to his uncle's emails, and talked to people close to him, It might have been possible he could have avoided killing his father.

I totally agree

The more isolated a person is from society the less moderation occurs of their views as there's no one to challenge them and make them reconsider things. He was lacking a support network which is vital for good mental health in my opinion. Also if he was very clever, as his aunt said, this probably causes a person with Aspergers a lot more frustration as society doesn't give you your dues for your knowledge, it just endlessly judges you on your deficient social abilities.