No 73%  73%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 15

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 1:12 pm

I posted this in the Borderline thread about identity and interests:

Quote:
Even as a small child my interests rather influenced my sense of self though, for example when I was into collecting rocks, I would go around announcing to all the parents in the playground that I was a rock now, the same for lorries and a Fisher Price cash till that I loved to play with - if someone else was playing with it in playgroup, I would just "be" the till myself and go around telling parents to pull the lever (my arm) and feed me coins etc.

I have read in a few books about autism how autistic children who do engage in "pretend play" often seem to pretend to be objects, but I have never come across this in another context.

So I am just wondering if a lot of people used to do this, and whether parents of both NT and ASD kids could let me know whether their kids do this too.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 1:16 pm

I voted no, but with the exception I seldomly pretended to be an airplane by holding my arms out, running around and making an engine sound.

I think most little boys do that at some stage though.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 04 Dec 2012, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ibookfan92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2012, 1:32 pm

I just put occasionally, because while I'd never pretend to be a whole object... I'd imitate parts of stuff. If I was thinking, I'd imitate the clicking of a hard drive, or would use my arms like wipers in the rain. This is about as close as I can come to answering this.... :-)

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 1:34 pm

ibookfan92 wrote:
I just put occasionally, because while I'd never pretend to be a whole object... I'd imitate parts of stuff. If I was thinking, I'd imitate the clicking of a hard drive, or would use my arms like wipers in the rain. This is about as close as I can come to answering this.... :-)

Good enough for me :)

kat333
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2012, 8:47 pm

Not an object but I would frequently be a cat. This would involve me meowing rather than talking, not responding unless I was addressed as a cat. I even had my grandmother giving me saucers of milk on the floor which I would lap up like a cat.

I took a stuffed lion to pre school one day and my parents got a call because I was being the lion and scaring the other children with it.

I also used to tell my parents that today I was "Jessica" or "Amy" or other random names, and only answer to these for days.

This was at about ages 4-6.