Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 12:56 pm

I have always had mild AS that hasn't always shown when socially interacting, and I was probably a typical kid, but when I was 14 I suddenly done something what a more moderate Autistic would probably do.

When I was 14 (year 9), I randomly got attached to a group of 6 girls that were always seen hanging out together in school. They weren't in my class but their classroom was next door to mine and I recognised their faces. But one hot day I found them sitting on the school field at lunchtime, and I kind of sat near them on the grass. They were all chattering and laughing amongst themselves, then by the end of lunchtime they semi-included me in the conversation and I found myself sitting with them and joining in. When the bell went, I walked back into the school with them, and they said a few friendly words to me, right until I got into my classroom. I felt so happy that I had made some new friends. As the week went on I tried to stay with them, and I found myself waiting for them outside lessons, but a couple of days later, one lunchtime, they huddled together and whispered, then tried to lose me. I acted like a ret*d idiot and tried looking for them, and I found them going into the office, then the people in the office let them creep out of another door where I couldn't see them. I then peeped into the office, and a lady in there figured out who I was and brought me in to have a word with me, telling me that these girls told on me and were creeped out by me. I wasn't in trouble, the lady was very nice. I've always been normal with feeling and expressing emotions, and also recognising body language too, but this one week I didn't have any emotion over this, and I didn't even recognise these girl's body language when they were freaked out. But after I came out of the office, I was like, ''I might have known!'' And I never even looked at these girls since. What a ret*d weirdo I was for this exclusive week! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I know Aspies can still do things like that, but this is ridiculous because that was not like me, and I don't know what got into me that week. It still kind of haunts me today, and sometimes when I remember it, I feel a sudden attack of shame. Just had to get it off my chest and see if others have had similar experiences or can relate or empathise.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 2:25 pm

I think that's fairly typical of the way lots of people with autism are treated unfortunately. I've heard a lot of similar stories. I'm sorry it happened to you. Remember though it's not because of you or anything you did: they were idiots and they treated you badly which they shouldn't have done.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Dec 2012, 9:19 pm

It was probably a passing thing with them, and they didn't want it to go any further. An Aspie girl like yourself couldn't see that. I have had similar incidents, which I found downright bewildering, since I couldn't understand what it was that I had done wrong. Oh, well... :oops: :?

lukeinontario
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2012, 1:34 pm

It's hard to join a group that's already been formed. I tend to focus on befriending one person at a time, and then they usually will include you in the group naturally.