Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:30 pm

Does anybody else think they should be outlawed?

They are responsible for killing more brain cells than all of the weed ever smoked in the history of mankind.

They have an uncanny tendency to make an idiot out of even the most intelligent people.

I am starting an online political debate about the evils of online political debates. Why? Because I can.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:37 pm

no, because in essence there is no difference between online and offline, it is all communication.

i have also seen as much idiocy offline as i have online, the only difference is that online one can engage when and where one wants to, meaning that some people spend a huge amount of time on it, thus meaning they will be invovled in more conflict.

not that actual bad conlict is a neccesity, a proper conflict of ideas can be a great tool for understanding not only the points of other but yourself as well.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 8:13 pm

Oodain wrote:
no, because in essence there is no difference between online and offline, it is all communication.

The only difference is the "face to face" involvement. Not sounding rude or confrontational.

Best Regards,

Jake

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Dec 2012, 8:17 pm

If one does not like their views to be challenged then it's probably best they don't use the internet let alone partake in debates on it.

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 8:19 pm

Jacoby wrote:
If one does not like their views to be challenged then it's probably best they don't use the internet let alone partake in debates on it.

Exactly.

Best Regards,

Jake

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 8:21 pm

NAKnight wrote:
Oodain wrote:

The only difference is the "face to face" involvement. Not sounding rude or confrontational.

Best Regards,

Jake

true,

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 8:32 pm

My philosophy on online debates is this;

It's an online discussion. You can't interact with someone and work things out if you are at your computer desk.
Also, the bridge for communication can be easily burned.
I prefer talking to people face to face. Because I can read them, understand them and help them.
I online debate to pass the time. I wouldn't even call it a debate honestly.

Best Regards,

Jake

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 8:46 pm

NAKnight wrote:
My philosophy on online debates is this;

It's an online discussion. You can't interact with someone and work things out if you are at your computer desk.
Also, the bridge for communication can be easily burned.
I prefer talking to people face to face. Because I can read them, understand them and help them.
I online debate to pass the time. I wouldn't even call it a debate honestly.

Best Regards,

Jake

that probably has more to do with how one aproaches an internet debate than with the conept of an internet debate itself.

i use video conferencing to a moderate degree during my work and that is as online as anything else, there is still a slight difference but that difference becomes trivial considering what oppertunities are available using video vonferencing.

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 9:00 pm

Oodain wrote:
that probably has more to do with how one aproaches an internet debate than with the conept of an internet debate itself.

I receive mixed signals from Internet "Debates" I don't get much accomplished, I feel like I'm just spinning wheels. Case in point, our previous discussion.
On the surface, it could be an ego-contest? Who ever controls the language, controls the argument, right?

Best Regards,

Jake

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 9:06 pm

there are plenty of internet debates that truly are nothing more but ego contests.

there are also plenty that arent.

in relation to our previous discussion, communication has to have a structured and agreed upon basis, when that fdails it is impossible for any parts of the conversation to get anything accomplished.

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 9:17 pm

The only time I see that happening is when it's a discussion or debate everyone agrees upon.
Then it's not a discussion or debate, just guys/girls posting words on a thread. Nothing more, nothing less.
Which brings me to ask this; If your fighting so hard to prove a point, what do you really get out of it debating here and online? What is the endpoint? Self-Gratification?
That's what really matters to me, if I am going to fight to prove/disprove something, I would at least like to see where my effort ends. Did I learn more? Did I learn something new?

You can't get that on online debates. It's just a show of power and words.

Best Regards,

Jake

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 9:48 pm

i have learnt plenty during discussions here on wp, granted there are still plenty of threads that dont provide that.

you ask why people debate on the internet?
for me personally it is a way to investigate different ideas and concepts, but as said that requires a structured and agreed upon aproach, logic in most cases.

there doesnt neccesarily have to be an endpoint, it is the process that actually matters.
one doesnt have to actually fight for any particular conept or idea if that is kept in mind.

people will however always have their own bias and that is both an advantage and disadvantage, it is what makes us unique but also what means that we cannot be trusted intelectually unless one uses external tools such as logic and established fact to confirm or disprove said bias.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 10:34 pm

KagamineLen wrote:

No.

Quote:
They are responsible for killing more brain cells than all of the weed ever smoked in the history of mankind.

Probably.

Quote:
They have an uncanny tendency to make an idiot out of even the most intelligent people.

Certain kinds of intelligence and idiocy are fully compatible.

Quote:
I am starting an online political debate about the evils of online political debates. Why? Because I can.

That's super.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 11:12 pm

Quote:

Outlawed???
How exactly would you go about outlawing political discussion?

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 11:13 pm

Raptor wrote:
Quote:

Outlawed???
How exactly would you go about outlawing political discussion?

Let the ministry of truth decide what everyone's opinion is. :lol:

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 11:46 pm

Oodain wrote:
there doesnt neccesarily have to be an endpoint, it is the process that actually matters.
one doesnt have to actually fight for any particular conept or idea if that is kept in mind.

I'm results driven, I know when I've arrived when certain criteria are met and I base my conclusions/way of thinking on that.
That way of thinking involves an endpoint, an established point of completion.
I keep that in mind when I do debate, whether in person or not, otherwise I'm free-wheeling and wasting your time and mine.

Best Regards,

Jake