Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AutibotXD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2012, 2:49 am

Hey I have a question that I really need answering
I know Asperger's syndrome is being changed to ASD in the US but what about the UK is it also being dropped there (Is it like a world wide thing)?
Also what are your opinions on this?

Tsela
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Dec 2012, 3:25 am

Yes, it's a worldwide thing, as the APA handbook is used in many other places in the world. For instance, here in the Netherlands it's already a fact: although informally I have been told I have Asperger's Syndrome, formally I have been diagnosed as being on the ASD.

My opinion on the whole thing is conflicted. I feel we might be losing a useful epithet here, as (at least in my experience) there are a few key differences between AS and other forms of autism. On the other hand, the very existence of the PDD-NOS category shows that the previous classification just wasn't working that well either, so I can understand the need to change it. And the recognition of a spectrum of disorders may help getting better diagnoses. And ASD is still clearly separated from other types of syndromes that have similar symptoms but different roots, so it's not as if we are being lumped together with people we don't belong with :) .

So, basically I'm cautiously optimistic. And it's not as if the new classification is going to stop me from calling myself an Aspie :P .

http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/
http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 5:09 am

I'm completely in favor of it. I don't think anyone will stop referring to the same subcategories when necessary, and the new classification looks more accurate in general. Plus, I kind of feel like it will keep the NTs from getting dumb ideas, like that "autistic people are terrible, sure, my friend Joe is an okay guy, but that's only because he really just has Asperger's", "if you were genuinely autistic it would be reasonable for you to act that way, but Asperger's Syndrome isn't a real diagnosis, that's just the label they give to kids who won't stop being rude", or the like. Presenting a unified front, in a way.

AutibotXD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2012, 3:10 pm

Cie ... I have to disagree with that last part
Aaperger's syndrome was used to describe someone who autism affected the socially and with their executive abilities as well as obssive interest and a need for sameness. (There's more but you get the idea) But still maintained Average to above average intelligence and a wide/good vocabulary

Whilst Autism is much more general ... for example some one with general autism could have been Socially impaired, Cognatively impaired, have below average intelligence and limited vocabulary.

I do not agree with the change as Aspergers allows one to be specific quickly without the need for people who already have trouble talking to people to explain the syptoms and spectrum in more detail than was originally necessary

Also Most importantly it stops us all being lumped together. Now whilst I do believe us Auties share a comradship (I spelt that wrong did I not?) I also recognize that we all have seperate needs and people aren't factoring these things in

AutibotXD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2012, 3:16 pm

Also saying Asperger's syndrome is a label for rude kids is really insensative and shows a lack of knowledge about the subject.
That's like saying Autism is a term for kids who were abused.
There are some symptoms that you could use to say that in a round about way but it is in no way true and is very insulting
The only reasons someone would say something like that are
They're ignorant
They're Intelligent but arogant
Or they're idiotic, moronic bufoons

So don't post again until you can do it without saying things like that

Remember it's always nice to be nice :wink:

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2012, 5:07 pm

AutibotXD wrote:

What. The. Fudge. That was a mocking, hypothetical quote, not anything I would say. Are you saying I'm a jerk for thinking it's the sort of thing someone could say, or are you seriously implying that I would say that?

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 5:13 pm

As far as I know, it's not being dropped from the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) and the current version still has AS as a diagnosis.

I don't know what countries outside of North America use the DSM-V versus ICD-10

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 5:52 pm

[Thread moved from PPR to General Autism]

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2012, 7:02 pm

I'm in the UK, I was diagnosed recently and I asked the doctor whether the DSM dropping Asperger's would affect the UK and she said no, because we use the ICD.

AutibotXD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2012, 2:35 am

Cei wrote:
AutibotXD wrote:

What. The. Fudge. That was a mocking, hypothetical quote, not anything I would say. Are you saying I'm a jerk for thinking it's the sort of thing someone could say, or are you seriously implying that I would say that?

Sorry. I misunderstood. Please forgive me