Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:39 am

A well meaning person found out that I got diagnosed with AS and got in touch with me to tell me to try taking vitamin D-3. I kind of blew off their advice for awhile until I was looking for some zinc in my medicine cabinet and came across a bottle of D-3. I started taking it for the heck of it, since I apparently already had some, and I think it might actually be helping my depression. Is this a placebo or is it possible that it's actually helping me? Has anyone else had any positive results from taking D3?

Thanks!

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2012, 12:34 pm

lady_katie wrote:
A well meaning person found out that I got diagnosed with AS and got in touch with me to tell me to try taking vitamin D-3. I kind of blew off their advice for awhile until I was looking for some zinc in my medicine cabinet and came across a bottle of D-3. I started taking it for the heck of it, since I apparently already had some, and I think it might actually be helping my depression. Is this a placebo or is it possible that it's actually helping me? Has anyone else had any positive results from taking D3?

Thanks!

I started taking last year after reading an article about D3 and depression. My allergies are also much improved.

Omega3 also seems to help (taking double dose of fish oil, and adding high Omega3 eggs back to diet), but I still need my St Johns and 5htp.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2012, 4:22 pm

You should definitely start taking a balanced multi-vitamin if you're not already; I attribute a lot of improvement in my anxiety and a few other issues to starting to take a multi-vitamin a year ago. As for D vitamins, I think they're probably even more important for people with ASD's because it's quite likely don't go outside as often as more social people and thus, receive very little natural vitamin D synthesis from sunlight.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 6:49 pm

Vitamin D is being touted as a miracle Vitamin.
I first started taking it a couple of years back when they had another Swine flu/take this expensive mercury laced vaccine hoax.
No way way I going to have them stick their poisons into me, so I read how Vitamin D stops you getting the flu here:- ( LINK), and I have to say I have only gotten one cold since then.

The latest claim for Vitamin D is that it kills cancer:- ( LINK), so keep taking it!

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 8:22 pm

I take d3, gluathione, and vitamin c, and I have seen a definite improvement. I would suggest you try maxgxl. All of them can be found in the medical reaource subsection of the reaource page on mildaspergers.com. Best of luck!

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2012, 9:45 pm

i was prescribed mega-doses of d3 after being diagnosed with allergies to,...well, ... everything i was accustomed to eating. i noticed soon after starting the vitamin that my thought process was clearer, i had more energy and my ability to handle stress and overstimulation improved greatly.

lovely nutrient! it is not a placebo.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 10:35 pm

thanks for the tip, but what if you are day in day out in a sunny country, do you still need it for depressions?

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2012, 11:13 pm

Loborojo wrote:
thanks for the tip, but what if you are day in day out in a sunny country, do you still need it for depressions?

maybe.

How much skin do you have exposed? how much sunscreen on the exposed area? . . . and that's assuming you naturally generate enough through sun exposure even under ideal conditions.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 11:41 pm

Vitamin deficiencies certainly aren't good for you, and they'll make depression worse. I haven't heard of any specific link between vitamins and autism, but really, it's just common sense that malnutrition can't be good for anybody, let alone somebody who's living with a disability that results in high stress levels overall.

Autism is associated with taste/texture food issues and executive dysfunction. Both of those could end up with a restricted diet, and that could mean some things are missing from your diet. If you're eating the same thing, or the same small list of things, for long periods of time, you could be at risk for nutritional deficiencies. At the very least you should be taking a multivitamin, but if your diet is very restricted or has been restricted for a long time, you should probably see a nutritionist to spot where the gaps are and how you can fill them in.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 9:13 am

Travellin and staying in hotels, guesthouses I have been eating the same boring diet for a year...2 boiled/fried eggs, 2 tolls of bread with jam and coffee. For 2 weeks I am now eating yoghurt with fruits in it (mango, banana, grapes), quinoa, and still 2 rolls with jam, coffee or coca tea...

I am exposed a lot, I wear hotpants sometimes or very short shorts, T-shirt and I only go out in the sun after the heat is off or before...

But I have been told or read that vitmains are not really absorbed by the body with pills.

I have a slow metabolism...and for my lowerbackproblems ( I had a slip disc) I have been taking dicolfenac and other anti-inflammatory pills which f****d up my liver and so twice I checked my liver in 6 months and it is and remains fat and have small deosits in the kidnesy. Since For my stomach and liver I have lost 12 kg, and avoid fizzy drinks, so I got my gastritis under control...I was put on medicine for gout, and here in Peru they say I never had gout....so too many drugs. But I smoke ganja everyday for the pain and anti-depression,

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 10:54 am

I always feel better taking vitamins, but I don't believe in taking massive amounts or that they're a miracle cure for what ails you. I always end up lacking in some mineral or another in lab tests, and I was to the point that I was at risk for rickets when I added Vitamin D. I've added an Omega-3 supplement recently, just to keep the bases covered.