Applying for college disabilities scheme, Help!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Pilott
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2012, 7:04 pm

Ok, Ok, firstly I'm a n00b.

Anywho, I'm in my final year of school in Ireland. Getting into university here is based completely on the results from your final exams.
There's a programme here called DARE, for anyone who many know (I'm guessing very few of you). Basically it means there are a certain amount of places offered to people with disabilities so they can get into their courses with lower results than is usually required. Asperger's is listed as one of the disabilities that you can apply with. I've been professionally diagnosed, so that's all ok, but here's the thing:
I need to write a personal statement on how having Asperger's Syndrome has affected my education, or made it more difficult for me.
I don't know what to write, if I even could write anything. My case is quite mild, and I was diagnosed less than a year ago. Technically I could apply for help, but I don't know if I would have much to say. I'd love to get help, as I'm aiming for a high point course that would be difficult for me to get otherwise.

What should I do? Should I just forget applying, even though it was top of the list for applying for the scheme?

(and thank you to anyone reading my boring post c: )

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:33 pm

Well, has Asperger's affected your education? You say your's is mild, so has IT affected your grades or something else? If it is not Asperger's fault, then I would suggest taking a year to try and upgrade so you can better the marks you need for those courses. If it is Aspergers, what do you think the difficulties are? This may impact how well you fare in the course. If Aspergers has affected your grades but you think you can be successful in the course, I would suggest writing why you think that. I make straight As in university, but not so in high school, so you may do better once you get into your niche. I definitely wouldn't forget about applying altogether if that is what you want to do with your life, even if you do have to upgrade or something for a year. Just make sure if you use this program that you will be able to be successful without upgrading first.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Pilott
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2012, 7:07 am

What do you mean by upgrade?

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 8:06 pm

Redo the classes and get better grades.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Brisingr
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jan 2013, 6:36 pm

I am in the exact same boat as you ! I'm doing the leaving cert this year and I'm applying for DARE. I'm finding the personal statement difficult as well because i was only diagnose this year and its mild. I find that that i get stressed a lot due to school work and become really depressed.
It's hard to think of things that effect you but if you think back to possibly primary school or the early years in secondary school maybe you'll see things that effect you that you hadn't thought of before!
I was exempt from irish this year because I was becoming to stressed and upset at it. If any things annoy or upset you I'd recommend putting them down
best of luck ! :D

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2013, 12:39 am

I'd be willing to bet if you went to the University and made an appointment with one of their accommodation coordinators they might be able to help. I would also get the help of whoever diagnosed you to help write the letter. I know how you feel, you know the years spent undiagnosed affected your grades but you just can't put it into words.