Turning into a different gender, race or species.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 10:08 pm

Would it be possible for humans to transform into a different gender, race or species by genetic engineering?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 10:33 pm

Jitro wrote:
Would it be possible for humans to transform into a different gender, race or species by genetic engineering?

Possibly but it would be incremental and take some time. An already born human is pretty well stuck with his/her genome.

ruveyn

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:08 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Jitro wrote:

Possibly but it would be incremental and take some time. An already born human is pretty well stuck with his/her genome.

ruveyn
Unless we'd find a stable way to alter the genes of every cell in the body. It'd possibly be done with an engineered virus or something down that alley. I seriously doubt that'd be healthy though. Suddenly, all of your cells want to switch function and position... 8O

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:42 pm

Who's first in the Telepod?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 12:26 am

MJ turned into a white woman, so I guess it's possible.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:00 am

Even if the cells changed genomes, the adult form is already set so the person would basically be a mutant form of whatever they had changed into. Only ongoing functions - digestion, wound repair, aging, that sort of thing - would proceed as if the person were the gender/species that their genes had changed into.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:27 am

Genetic Enhancement... it's been the subject of science fiction from Star Trek's KHAAAAAN! to the more recent GATTACA, etc.

Technically still "human" but very tinkered-with. How much alteration before one is no longer considered human?

Closer to the here-and-now... how much genetic modification can our current franken-foods be mucked with before it's no longer considered the food it once was? I remember reading how wheat was supposed to have X chromosomes, but has been modified so often it's at X+7(?)... small wonder so many people are developing gluten/wheat intolerance!

It's good to know science well enough to know when to leave some things un-altered! I think it's a slippery slope to go tinkering with our human DNA.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:39 am

LKL wrote:
Even if the cells changed genomes, the adult form is already set so the person would basically be a mutant form of whatever they had changed into. Only ongoing functions - digestion, wound repair, aging, that sort of thing - would proceed as if the person were the gender/species that their genes had changed into.
Has this been confirmed? I mean, cells are coming and going all the time...

Ah well. I'm a software engineer. Not a bioengineer. :roll:

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 2:21 am

Confirmed, as in experiment? No, of course not. But it's basic sense: once your growth plates close up, for example, your bones are done growing - your bones aren't going to change into dog bones just because some of their DNA is switched.

As I mentioned, healing and other ongoing things (like ongoing regeneration of tissues) would occur as if you were the organism whose DNA had replaced the original - but you would at most end up like some sort of mutant combination of the two (and not in the good sense of 'mutant').

Wrt. wheat: a lot of that modification is natural - IIrc wheat is a natural hybrid between two different species, that humans found and took advantage of. Plant genetics is, from the perspective of someone who focused more on the zoological side of things, really freaking bizarre. Even normal angiosperm seeds have multiple polyploidies in several different combinations, and a lot of plants have free-living monoploid stages. Complete genome duplications, and complete genome hybridizations (as with wheat) are far from rare.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 2:49 am

LKL wrote:
Confirmed, as in experiment? No, of course not. But it's basic sense: once your growth plates close up, for example, your bones are done growing - your bones aren't going to change into dog bones just because some of their DNA is switched.

As I mentioned, healing and other ongoing things (like ongoing regeneration of tissues) would occur as if you were the organism whose DNA had replaced the original - but you would at most end up like some sort of mutant combination of the two (and not in the good sense of 'mutant').

Wrt. wheat: a lot of that modification is natural - IIrc wheat is a natural hybrid between two different species, that humans found and took advantage of. Plant genetics is, from the perspective of someone who focused more on the zoological side of things, really freaking bizarre. Even normal angiosperm seeds have multiple polyploidies in several different combinations, and a lot of plants have free-living monoploid stages. Complete genome duplications, and complete genome hybridizations (as with wheat) are far from rare.
My point is that cells die. And if there's no information about replacing it anywhere (because that bit in the DNA has been modified), you'll have something else happening. Or am I completely off here?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 6:22 pm

Yes, cells die - gradually. They're replaced by division of remaining cells.

The cells themselves, with the new DNA, will have the metabolic processes of the new organism, but the arrangement of an organism, it's shape, is determined quite early on by its growth and development. In the prior example of a human-to-dog DNA replacement, you would have human-shaped bones made up of dog bone cells. Individual cells don't have any kind of programming to make take the overall shape of an organism into account.

GrandTuringSedan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Dec 2012, 11:10 pm

LKL wrote:

It wouldn't be like "An American Werewolf in London", but I bet one would begin to take on the odor of a dog pretty quickly. Wouldn't that be the worst monster movie ever!!

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 11:18 pm

^good chance!
It's actually possible that the person might start to get fairly furry, since skin turnover is fairly rapid and hair growth is controlled by hormones.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:46 am

BlueMax wrote:
Genetic Enhancement... it's been the subject of science fiction from Star Trek's KHAAAAAN! to the more recent GATTACA, etc.

Technically still "human" but very tinkered-with. How much alteration before one is no longer considered human?

When the "new" humans can no longer mate with "old" humans and produce fertile offspring.

ruveyn