The elephant in the room. The vulnerability of autistics.

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:41 am

Alright real short and sweet, from a sociological perspective were exceptionally vulnerable.

We have severe trouble organizing on our own.

We are often ostracized by society as a whole for a number of reasons. This of course depends on the strain of society were talking too, but its not the least bit paranoid to say we should be watching our back.

We are a class of people who are often under employed and lack financial means.

The medical community will have a strong interest in curing us if they are able to.

We are often a large financial burden on our local governments.

Having children is a risky business when you factor in the possibility of needing a expensive amount of therapy if a child happens to be non verbal etc.

To be clear, Im not saying were gonna be wiped out tomorrow, but realistically shouldnt more attention be paid to how we fit into society.

frostbite
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2012, 2:34 am

At first glance I would have called you paranoid, but there is a disturbing logic to your statements. 8O

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 2:42 am

A lot of attention is being pain to how we fit in society.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 8:39 am

Yep. All it would take for autistic population to be decimated would be a prenatal genetic test for autism. It has already happened with Downs Syndrome. Few parents with access to first-world medical care will choose to carry autistic babies to term, so few or no autistics would be born.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 9:47 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
Yep. All it would take for autistic population to be decimated would be a prenatal genetic test for autism. It has already happened with Downs Syndrome. Few parents with access to first-world medical care will choose to carry autistic babies to term, so few or no autistics would be born.

Scientists in Australia are trying to make a prenatal test for autism, but not in order to abort the child, but to help bring early intervention from birth....That is their goal, and the parents of teh autistic children who are helping in the test wouldnt have it any other way. I may be able to find the link to the program on this!! actually i believe i actually posted a link to it in a post a couple of weeks back!!

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 9:58 am

There's no way to control the use of the technology once it's out there. Believing it will result in more help for autistics is naive.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 11:43 am

Teredia wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:

Scientists in Australia are trying to make a prenatal test for autism, but not in order to abort the child, but to help bring early intervention from birth....That is their goal, and the parents of teh autistic children who are helping in the test wouldnt have it any other way. I may be able to find the link to the program on this!! actually i believe i actually posted a link to it in a post a couple of weeks back!!

Well in china theyve had the ability to tell if their kid with be male or female for years do you think its any surprise that they dont use this test for decorating the nursery.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 11:46 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
Well this depends entirely on how the testing works, but yeah your completely right.

I mean to be perfectly honest I wont have kids if I cant garantee my kid wont be non verbal.

Anyhow the technology is already on its way. 23 and me, is already giving cheap genetic testing to the masses, give a few more years, and they will be screening for genetic defects.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 12:30 pm

Stoek wrote:
Alright real short and sweet, from a sociological perspective were exceptionally vulnerable.

We are often ostracized by society as a whole for a number of reasons. This of course depends on the strain of society were talking too, but its not the least bit paranoid to say we should be watching our back.

The medical community will have a strong interest in curing us if they are able to.

Having children is a risky business when you factor in the possibility of needing a expensive amount of therapy if a child happens to be non verbal etc.

To be clear, Im not saying were gonna be wiped out tomorrow, but realistically shouldnt more attention be paid to how we fit into society.

Stoek, do you have any recommendations about where to focus our attention on this issue?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:31 pm

Are we considering a SHTF scenario or day to day life?

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 8:44 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Stoek wrote:

Stoek, do you have any recommendations about where to focus our attention on this issue?
Actually talking about the issue in short.No one seems too.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 8:51 pm

Stoek wrote:

To me that is the wrong attitude, the government exists to serve its people......the people cannot be a 'burden' on the government, but that is just my philosophy on that particular issue.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 8:52 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
A lot of attention is being pain to how we fit in society.

Or rather how we 'don't' fit in.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 8:55 pm

Teredia wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:

'Now if someone is unsatisfied with their child they can have them genetically altered before birth.' could be a future infomercial headline....maybe that song is right about people picking their child out of a long black tube someday. 'I want a perfect blonde haired, blue eyed child with perfect genetics.' Not sure how to feel about giving people that much choice over the sort of child they are born with. And this sort of thing could open that can of worms.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 8:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Stoek wrote:

To me that is the wrong attitude, the government exists to serve its people......the people cannot be a 'burden' on the government, but that is just my philosophy on that particular issue.

It's true of any situation in which resources are not infinite.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 9:09 pm

Stoek wrote:
Actually talking about the issue in short.No one seems too.

Stoek, I realize that you were typing your response out on a smartphone, but I'm not understanding what discussion you are advocating for these issues.