Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:18 pm

Raptor wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Just toss the dog a poisoned treat.

Only a +r011 would suggest poisoning a dog.
:shameonyou:

...or, a thief. Or, an annoyed neighbor.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:26 pm

Raptor wrote:
They'd be a'feerd of my dog who IS home during the day.

visagrunt wrote:
Given the cost of acquistion, food, veterenary care, training, and the amount of time each day required to exercise a dog of sufficient mass to deter a thief.....

Who can put a price on the love that a dog can provide?:heart:

visagrunt wrote:
.......the amount of my taxes that go towards social programs for income assistance and housing is probably comparable. And protects not just my house, but my neighbors' as well.

It will never sit well with me.
I'd rather assemble an armed neighborhood watch, regardless of the cost, than to pay people to be good.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:27 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Raptor wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Just toss the dog a poisoned treat.

Only a +r011 would suggest poisoning a dog.
:shameonyou:

...or, a thief. Or, an annoyed neighbor.

+r0ll$ come in all forms.......

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 1:42 pm

Raptor wrote:
Who can put a price on the love that a dog can provide?:heart:

I think I just did. ;)

Now if you're talking cat--that's priceless. But f**k-all use as a guard animal.

Quote:
It will never sit well with me.
I'd rather assemble an armed neighborhood watch, regardless of the cost, than to pay people to be good.

I would rather mitigate people's incentive to be bad, than to sit in expectation of their being bad. The trouble with an armed neighborhood watch is that it begins with the premise that people will be bad, and that the only thing to do is react to that, rather than to prevent it.

foodeater
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2012, 4:24 am

This excerpt from Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt is interesting and talks about the same issues. http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175585/

In that part of the states often that money goes into OxyContin abuse. (conservatives should be familiar) :wink: Now, does the pharmaceutical industry benefit from this to the extent that they oppose gainful employment?

This is my fantasy of what I'd like to try. It might not work, but I don't think it'd be worse:
Retool the eduction system so it's not a conditioning system for churning out fodder to feed the factory or office. Provide a college education and hire good teachers. Claim patent and copyright sharing for 20 years after graduation. A few brillant works could make all the difference.

Many people are fit to work, but either don't know what suits them or don't have the means.

We need new competitive wage jobs for blue collar or manual labor. For instance people with ADD traits are often excellent with their hands or a least feel more comfortable. I just watched a documentary on glass blowing for pipes and it's a huge multimillion dollar industry. I'm sure a lot people would better off blowing glass than flipping burgers or coal mining. The only morals government should be evolved in are in how they treat the employees, customers, citizens and our natural resources. Nothing imaginary! Practice that on your own time.

I have nothing against conservative financial policy, but both parties are wealth redistribution systems for the powerful and I like the guys the conservatives give it to less.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 11:45 am

If poverty needs to be reduced, make an incentive for people on the welfare rolls to NOT have children and to use contraceptives. One of the things not mentioned in the article is that people also get more welfare money for every additional child they have.

I've seen people at the supermarket with a small child, baby in one arm, and pregnant with another... all the while whipping out an EBT/SNAP card and their WIC checks.

If you made it so that people can only get checks for the existing children at signup, then we'd see a lot less incentive to pop out babies to stay on it.