Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2012, 2:56 am

School's always been tough. My autistic brain isn't equipped with great planning, or time management skills and my major depression saps any remaining motivation to really try. AD/HD isn't helping much either. Throw in a litany of other health issues and I flunked out of high school. At (~)21, I'm just coasting through community college, dropping more classes than I'm completing. I want to get my degree, and go on and be a doctor. I'ts really all I've ever wanted. I can't get into the courses I need to for the spring, and the deadline passed to apply to a four year college in the fall. Any advice would be great. Kind words are also appreciated.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 7:04 am

Depression is a serious medical condition--have you seen the appropriate doctors to have it treated?

Getting the right treatment and taking the prescription(s) may be the best first step towards reaching your goals.

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2012, 1:08 pm

OddballBen wrote:
School's always been tough. My autistic brain isn't equipped with great planning, or time management skills and my major depression saps any remaining motivation to really try. AD/HD isn't helping much either. Throw in a litany of other health issues and I flunked out of high school. At (~)21, I'm just coasting through community college, dropping more classes than I'm completing. I want to get my degree, and go on and be a doctor. I'ts really all I've ever wanted. I can't get into the courses I need to for the spring, and the deadline passed to apply to a four year college in the fall. Any advice would be great. Kind words are also appreciated.

Same here.

I feel so depressed I sleep twice a day now (!) (From night to morning; and afternoon to night). With such a small time frame I rarely get anything done since I am always depressed. I am always tired. Simple tasks and decision - making take a lot of my time.

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2012, 2:31 am

Run like Forrest Gump or join the military.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 12:18 am

OddballBen wrote:

Do you want to know about the human body or do you want an MD or DO next to your name? Med schools expect motivation, some DO programs may be willing to accept Bs or even a C or two if you're willing to travel, but the one thing they can't do is motivate you. I need Zoloft to get out of bed in the morning (and not feel like I'm pushing a boulder up a hill), the right meds definitely help

In the end though, you need to plan your whole day around school if you want to learn what you need to learn. You need that 8 hours of sleep, 30 minutes of cardio exercise, and enough glucose to keep your brain energized for class. Nobody has as much control as you do over this.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 11:44 am

I lose a ton of motivation without sleep.

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2012, 6:09 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice. It helps me to know other people are dealing with the same thing. To answer BTDT's question, I've got a diagnosis and a prescription, though it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2012, 1:04 pm

OddballBen wrote:
Thanks for the replies and advice. It helps me to know other people are dealing with the same thing. To answer BTDT's question, I've got a diagnosis and a prescription, though it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.

I am 21 too and I feel my life has nothing to show for it. I am sorry I cannot give great advice on it. I am trying to understand myself better.

Running everyday is actually a good way to stimulate the brain. It won't solve your problems but it will give you a "high" that will give you a "boost". Do it every one or 2 days.

(I wish I could follow my own advice. I have a knee problem.) :(

CrisSyPee
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2013, 4:27 pm

I know how you feel! It's hard to be in a situation where you feel helpless. It can seem like a vicious cycle. Personally, I have had my own "failures" and the overwhelming feeling of not being able to tend to my responsabilities is Depressing! If i could give any advice: find something that you engage in and doesn't feel like a duty! In your heart, you might not be a doctor. :o)