How many autistic people have caring parents?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2012, 9:58 pm

Kairi96 wrote:
Quote:
I think a lot of autistic people have difficult or even horrendous childhoods because their parents are often autistic themselves and cannot cope. Doesn't make it excusable though

Actually, I have a good relationship with my father,who shows Tourette's symptoms and even the symptoms of mild AS.

I said a lot, not all. I'm quite sure both scenarios (good autistic parenting and poor autistic parenting) happen all the time.

I know I'd be an amazing parent.

But what I do know as well is that plenty of autistic people have autistic parents, and some of these parents can be very abusive because of their impairments.
Some, not all.

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2012, 10:12 pm

I have a good relationship with both my parents though I'm closer to my mother than my father due to personality and how they chose to raise me and my siblings. I was much closer to my deceased grandmother than either parent, but now I'm fairly close to my Mom who is my main support concerning ASD (she goes to appointments and talks to the people with me and stuff).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 10:40 pm

50/50

Mother is a beautiful person
Father tried to be good for some time (though by "good", I mean with the law, not a "good" parent), but as always, you can't change who you are

Interestingly, both have fairly obvious bits of an ASD.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 1:10 am

I have a positive relationship with both of my parents. They are both caring, gentle, kind, and often silly.

My mom is my best friend. She lets me talk about my special interests and sometimes even engages in them with me. She is very patient towards me when I'm being emotional/irrational, which is something I really appreciate.

My dad is a lot of fun to be around; we have so many inside jokes that it's almost like we talk in our own dialect around each other. When I was younger I loved playing video games with him, and we get nostalgic over it together.

MrPickles
Raven
Raven

11 Dec 2012, 2:22 am

My mother knew we were different from others (she never knew the term Asperger's but she knew what we were) - she was a calm gentle kind person in a world of upheaval. She defended us with a passion when needed. All her children were with her at the end. We took turns holding her hand as we waited - I was the one holding her hand at the time of her death. Even today as I write this there are tears - So yes in our quirky way a deep and feeling relationship to the end.

My father was quite different -- my relationship with him was on and off often and one of the major problems with him was that I believe that he was incapable of the truth which always made dealing with him difficult. His death came with out warning to any one in the family (though I had visited him the day before his death) - and I can say the thing I remember the most about his death is the gathering of the family that followed and the sharing that happened between us then.

So I guess that answers the question in my case.

Found on http://jacobbarnett.org/ -- If you are suffering from Autism - you're doing it wrong!

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 3:02 am

I remember my dad being caring, but my mother insists otherwise - I'm a daddy's girl so I may be biased.

My mother isn't caring, she was seriously physically and emotionally abusive when I was growing-up, we never had a mother/daughter relationship and as an adult we were estranged. She makes me feel guilty for a lack of mother/daughter relationship, but try to make any sort of emotional connection with her or even discuss something about your life and she's completely uninterested. She understood that I was different and had no problem accepting that, it's just I think the lack of mother/daughter relationship and her depression made her hate me.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 8:44 pm

My relationship with my parents would make a really-screwed up HBO show, or a MUCH darker version of Malcolm in the Middle. Which is saying something.

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2012, 10:58 pm

My parents are caring, but then again, I'm an only child. I also don't have a significant other or close friends, so it's a good thing SOMEBODY cares about me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 12:44 am

I still keep contact with my parents though, because it's the right thing to do and deep down inside I do love them.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 12:54 am

My parents are great. I lived with them until I was 28 (I am still 28, btw, just moved out for school at the end of August). We were never really emotional (fine by me...I am not emotional anyhow), and we had our issues (many of them probably stemmed from me having undiagnosed autism most of my life), but they are always there for me. They are extremely supportive in everything I try to do, and they always encourage me to be the best that I can while acknowledging that I do have my limitations. They were EXTREMELY supportive of my diagnosis, which has also been great, and very helpful in patching up some of the rough spots in our relationship.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)