Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2012, 5:18 am

I've been thinking about writing a story about an ordinary teenage boy who goes to a school where the other people are vampires. I was going to make some of the other people in the school humans and some different mystical creatures. I'm just curious as to how I can make it good without demonising any of the characters. Also do you think it's too similar to Homecoming by Ray Bradbury? I'd really appreciate any thoughts that you have.

10 Dec 2012, 11:50 am

Dom,

Vampires, ghouls, and other freaks of the night are selling like wildfire nowadays, but you should never forget that the key to a good idea is its take-home value. What about this teenage boy? What makes him "ordinary" when compared to the peers? What are his differences? What themes are you trying to get across? I could go on. Also, I've never read that book by Bradbury, so I wouldn't judge your story idea based on similarities in story. One motto I use is this: 99.9% of all writing is crap. This is not a pessimistic statement, quite the opposite; writers have been ripping off/paying tribute to/throwing back to other writers since writing began.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 5:32 am

(Thread marker)

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 1:57 pm

Dom,

There's no need to worry about whether or not a story is original. Writers have been influenced by, borrowed from, or ripped off other writers since writing became a medium. What really matters is the potential of the story? What about the main character, the lone normal boy in a school populated by freaks of the night? What themes are you trying to get across? It all boils down to this: if you write it, discovering your unanswered questions along the way, you can find the potential of your story.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Dec 2012, 9:51 pm

Pretty much what Giftorcurse said.

That aside, how will you make this story original? What's going to happen to the main character, or the other characters? Where is the story set?

If it's starting the story, just start writing. It can all be fixed later if you believe it wasn't done right the first time.

It actually sounds like Rosario + Vampire to me, but with all vampires instead of just one. :lol: That's okay, though. The book I'm currently writing has a lot of influence from Vocaloid, Gurren Lagaan, etc.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2012, 8:00 am

Thanks for the responses guys. One of the themes was going to be "what is normal?" in that the lone human is the one considered the freak in a school full of vampires. Another theme was going to be the teenage boy's struggle to accept himself knowing that he is not a vampire and never will be. The story will focus on the human teenager going through high school, eventually leaving it and what he learns from doing so. Some of the vampires will be decent, others will be completely horrible. I haven't thought any further than that to be honest. I'll post the story here or on my deviantart account when it's finished.