Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 3:41 pm

GPS on a phone: Any kid can figure out how to leave their phone in "acceptable" places while they go off to "unacceptable" places. I'd rather have children have phones so they can call their parents if they're in trouble than have them leave them behind so they won't be tracked...

Implanted GPS: NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!! !! !! !! ! What if a stalker finds a way to receive the signal??? This would probably cause many, many more crimes against children (and adults, once those children grow up! The GPS is still implanted inside them!!) than it would prevent. Not to mention some parents may stalk their own children...

After all, if a rogue doctor implanted a GPS during surgery and subsequently used it to stalk the patient, we'd be DEMANDING a long prison sentence for that doctor! Why should it be any different with parents forcing GPS implants on their children, before they're old enough to understand what's happening?

AQ: 33

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 4:26 pm

If for no other reason, it's all about conditioning kids to conduct themselves like prison inmates.

That alone is why it should be opposed.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 4:35 pm

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
GPS on a phone: Any kid can figure out how to leave their phone in "acceptable" places while they go off to "unacceptable" places. I'd rather have children have phones so they can call their parents if they're in trouble than have them leave them behind so they won't be tracked...

Implanted GPS: NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!! !! !! !! ! What if a stalker finds a way to receive the signal??? This would probably cause many, many more crimes against children (and adults, once those children grow up! The GPS is still implanted inside them!!) than it would prevent. Not to mention some parents may stalk their own children...

After all, if a rogue doctor implanted a GPS during surgery and subsequently used it to stalk the patient, we'd be DEMANDING a long prison sentence for that doctor! Why should it be any different with parents forcing GPS implants on their children, before they're old enough to understand what's happening?

Besides if some kid wanted to remove chip implemented in such a way that, it will remove it and it this could endanger their health.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 7:58 pm

The problem with a phone GPS is that kidnappers know better than to take a phone with them. GPS transmitters can be made to dimensions of less than 1cm^3, by the time I start having kids, they'll be much smaller. Anyone looking to stalk someone's kid using a GPS signal has to either hack the gps hardware, or actually know what kind of signal they're looking for through all the other EM interference out there. I really don't see kids hacking themselves up to get rid of gps devices, there are less invasive ways to render those measures innefective.

The bottom line is I'd rather know where to look if a worst case scenario happened.