Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:38 pm

Here is a youtube of a Sea Shepherd boat being rammed by a Japanese whaler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_mS9bLaqtk

This happened back in June of 2010 but I just learned about it today.

It was wonderful!

Tenno heika Banzai! Banzai! Banzai!

ruveyn

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:45 pm

How was that wonderful?They can eat tofu not whales.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:58 pm

Misslizard wrote:

The whales are in nature and on the high seas. One should be able to hunt them at will. They are wild animals.

Personally I am not in love with whaling but I am less in love with the Sea Shepherds whom I consider to be pains in the arse and buttinskis and pirates. Anyone who interferes with commerce on the high seas is a pirate. I am sorry the Japanese did not deploy their harpoon guns.

ruveyn

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 6:17 pm

If there were plenty of whales to hunt but many are in decline.It's foolish to over harvest anything,animal,vegetable,or mineral.Whales are family units and I feel badly they are killed.
I'm going to root for Moby Dick taking out the whalers,it would only be fair.
Let them eat tofu. :twisted:

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 7:11 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

The whales are in nature and on the high seas. One should be able to hunt them at will. They are wild animals.

Personally I am not in love with whaling but I am less in love with the Sea Shepherds whom I consider to be pains in the arse and buttinskis and pirates. Anyone who interferes with commerce on the high seas is a pirate. I am sorry the Japanese did not deploy their harpoon guns.

ruveyn

the legality is as murky as your message.

none of them are right,

one shouldnt hunt in the protected waters of the world to begin with, especially not for a meat that was used as a second rate meat product to supplement dwindling supplies after ww2, 60 years after it ended.

sea shepard is using forcfull means, at least they dont raid companies indiscriminately.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:24 pm

ruveyn, I thought you hated the Japanese?

Is endangering the lives of animal rights activists all it takes to win you over?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:49 pm

Oodain wrote:

sea shepard is using forcfull means, at least they dont raid companies indiscriminately.

The Sea Shepherds do NOT own the whales nor has any legal government given them authority to regulate international whaling. What the are are pirates. They are private parties who interfere with commerce on the high seas. That is piracy.

And the old fashioned way of dealing with pirates was to string them up on high yardarms.

But I will settle for having their boats rammed by the whalers.

ruveyn

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:22 pm

I don't approve of whaling but I have to agree that the Sea Shepherds are the ones legally in the wrong here.
They are nothing less than eco-terrorists of the high seas.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm

They may be annoying but if I saw someone trying to harpoon a whale I would try to stop it.
I'm not against hunting,my son hunts.But unless they are starving there is no need to kill whales or dolphins either.
Watch the film,The Cove.(I know,not whales but just as barbaric.)

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:48 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Oodain wrote:

The Sea Shepherds do NOT own the whales nor has any legal government given them authority to regulate international whaling. What the are are pirates. They are private parties who interfere with commerce on the high seas. That is piracy.

And the old fashioned way of dealing with pirates was to string them up on high yardarms.

But I will settle for having their boats rammed by the whalers.

ruveyn

actually the matter of legality is heavily debated and not even the international authorities know excactly what to do, which is why i called it murky

they keep citing the charter of nature, in which there is no spelled out authority given to individuals, it is implied however and there lies the trouble.

they are most certainly not getting any endorsement for using violence, but considering that we are talking about the same violence coming from the other side for the sake of eating said whales then i personally think that the easiest solution is to simply prevent both.

there is also the matter of them fishing inside the southern whale sanctuary, one of two places on earth where whales are without a doubt sacrisanct.

then consider that buisness wise it is barely profitable considering the trouble, there is also subsidies at play and in much of japan it simply isnt considered a modern foodstuff.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 12:52 am

I know it may seem dark and inhumane buts its kind of part of Japanese culture the Eskimos in the far north hunt whales for food as well but its for survival you dont see the shepards after them. In my opinion though a compromise must be made ban the whaling for a few decades to allow the numbers to grow in an alarming rate then whaling ban can be lifted but make limits on how many whales can be harvested annually![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twJFSYll_6w[/youtube]I hear whale tastes like steak!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Dec 2012, 1:53 am

I'm not a big fan of whaling but what the Sea Shepherd weirdos do is essentially piracy and they're lucky the worst thing to happen to them is just being rammed.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 2:57 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
I know it may seem dark and inhumane buts its kind of part of Japanese culture the Eskimos in the far north hunt whales for food as well but its for survival you dont see the shepards after them. In my opinion though a compromise must be made ban the whaling for a few decades to allow the numbers to grow in an alarming rate then whaling ban can be lifted but make limits on how many whales can be harvested annually![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twJFSYll_6w[/youtube]I hear whale tastes like steak!

in my eyes there are plenty of ways japan could hunt for whales legitimately, simply not endangered species and not in one of the worlds two whale sanctuaries.

they essentially tried opting out of the IWC charter, but lost their US whaling rights in the ensuing diplomatic mess, not entirely through their own fault either as far as i understand it.

so instead of actually having a regulated quota and oversight they instead use a loophole that allows them to catch some 700-1000 whales outside the system in the name of research.
we havent really learned enough from such large scale research to justify a single year, let alone a decade of such behavior.

the cultural claim is somewhat irrelevant in my eyes, they have alternatives.

on greenland there quite simply isnt for many people, a liter of milk there was 4 dollars and that was over a decade ago, anything imported has a huge price tag, fresh goods doubly so, their average pay was lower than the average worker in denmark as well.

to many northern inuits whales are as important as the reindeer is to the Dukha, they quite simply couldnt survive without them.

then there is the issue of number,

Quote:
Greenlandic Inuit whalers catch around 175 whales per year, making them the third largest hunt in the world after Japan and Norway, though their take is small compared to those nations, who annually averaged around 730 and 590 whales respectively in 1998–2007.[12][13] The IWC treats the west and east coasts of Greenland as two separate population areas and sets separate quotas for each coast. The far more densely populated west coast accounts for over 90 percent of the catch. In a typical year around 150 minke and 10 fin whales are taken from west coast waters and around 10 minkes are from east coast waters. In April 2009 Greenland landed its first bowhead whale in nearly forty years after being given a quota by the IWC in 2008 for two whales a year until 2012.

Last edited by Oodain on 13 Dec 2012, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 7:45 am

Tensu wrote:
ruveyn, I thought you hated the Japanese?

Is endangering the lives of animal rights activists all it takes to win you over?

My grief is with the Japanese of the 1940 generation, not the present.

And in any case I dislike the Sea Shepherds way more than I ever disliked the Japanese. The Japanese of the Empire days did not pretend to be Good Guys.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 4:58 pm

Of the sins committed on the high seas, I view whaling as the least of them.

Whales that are hunted are comprehensively used--for food and for the other products that they provide. I save my anger for wasteful practices, such as the the harvesting of shark fin, and practices with high levels of unproductive destruction, such as tuna netting and ground trawling. But so long as we use all that we reasonably can take from the animals that we hunt, and so long as we do so with a view to the ongoing viability of the species that we hunt, I am content to see it continue.

Now there's a lot bound up in that second condition--the ongoing viability. But certainly with species like minkes (which have never been endangered), and species like bowheads, grays, humbacks and belugas, I see no basis to conclude that current whaling practices demonstrate a threat to them.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:11 pm

The harvesting of the poor sharks fin and then tossing them back to die is wasteful and barbaric.Sea turtles being drowned in nets is sickening.But whales are very intelligent animals and it just bothers me that they most likely grieve for their lost family members.
But that's just me.