A too narrow interest, not enough material?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 6:59 pm

Does anyone have a problem that they have a strong interest that there isn't too much material to, like I've already read the few official texts related to it a million times and all I can do is pretty much that, looking at pictures + videos I've seen many times before, looking for stories about them I haven't read before (which is hopeless), google the interest just to read people's conversations about it (which are usually very obvious things and I've read most of these) and so it's just imagining or thinking things about the interest? I feel like there's not enough to do and it saddens me. I love this interest so much but there is not enough. :(
This is related to a video game and I wish I could be as interested in the whole game and not just a small part of it.

(Also does anyone else have a problem that they're ashamed of their interests? This isn't related to autism really...more some sort of irrational fear...but you can see I never did tell what exactly I was interested in and I do not want to. I think this might be related to a friend I had as a child who disapproved of my interests and wanted me to give them up but I'm not sure, it would make sense, though.)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 7:23 pm

As posts go, this is by far one of the most vague ones I've ever read. I can't respond to it, though, because it's so vague. Suffice it to say, here at Wrong Planet, you shouldn't be ashamed of speaking your mind. We all do it from time to time. It's quite an appeasement, actually.

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2012, 7:38 pm

I understand where you are coming from. You have to force yourself into new things. Some will work out, some won't. The truth is you may find what you've immersed yourself in to be ultimately boring and useless, while something you've never considered before excites you in ways you never could have imagined.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:01 pm

Ahhhhhh. nFFFFF
I am sorry, I am not good at explaining things...............I never manage to aprfj
This is very embarrassing.
Could this be deleted or something I can't type properly right now because I feel so embarrassed this is horrible....I make horrible decisions.
I am sorry for this reply being even more awful than the original post but I can't type I can't think right now I have to stop ff
I am sorry.

nonames
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2012, 8:08 pm

I totally have this. The older I get, the stranger my interests seem to get. The more disappointing when there's no info.

I had a very very strange interest. I'm not saying what it is though. I hid it, and my need to buy books on it by saying it was for a project I was working on (comic I was drawing, or movie script I was writing) which was half true, and I needed some knowledge on, for example something as strange as: Medicinal cures during the years 1750-60 in such and such city. BUT really I didn't want to know just that. I wanted to know all about medicine during those years.

When I googled my interest, 2-3 articles came up, all from the wrong times. I could hardly even find an answer to my original question. I found books on the subjects but no excerpts. No library had any info on what I wanted. In the end I took the risk and bought about 10 books on the subject. I still haven't finished them. People around me think it's creepy, so I say I'm looking for an answer to my original question that sparked the interest.

When there's nothing new on my interests, but I have all the information available (this happens with new movies/show episodes usually), I'll create something. I'll either draw or write based on the interest, or decorate my room with related stuff. I'll expand the interest by researching actors, etc.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

nonames wrote:
I totally have this. The older I get, the stranger my interests seem to get. The more disappointing when there's no info.

I had a very very strange interest. I'm not saying what it is though. I hid it, and my need to buy books on it by saying it was for a project I was working on (comic I was drawing, or movie script I was writing) which was half true, and I needed some knowledge on, for example something as strange as: Medicinal cures during the years 1750-60 in such and such city. BUT really I didn't want to know just that. I wanted to know all about medicine during those years.

When I googled my interest, 2-3 articles came up, all from the wrong times. I could hardly even find an answer to my original question. I found books on the subjects but no excerpts. No library had any info on what I wanted. In the end I took the risk and bought about 10 books on the subject. I still haven't finished them. People around me think it's creepy, so I say I'm looking for an answer to my original question that sparked the interest.

When there's nothing new on my interests, but I have all the information available (this happens with new movies/show episodes usually), I'll create something. I'll either draw or write based on the interest, or decorate my room with related stuff. I'll expand the interest by researching actors, etc.

Ah, you understood what I meant. Thank you, I feel slightly less embarrassed, even if I am still at loss for words. :)
I wish I could control when I wish to do what, I would draw a lot more and other creative activities. So mostly it's just daydreams for me (but the problem with those is how it's always fully under my control so I always know what will happen). Ghah, I wish I lived alone so I could actually decorate my living space but as I live with my parents I've always been too afraid of them coming in and criticizing my interests to do any such things (even though they're not even critical).

BorgPrince wrote:
I understand where you are coming from. You have to force yourself into new things. Some will work out, some won't. The truth is you may find what you've immersed yourself in to be ultimately boring and useless, while something you've never considered before excites you in ways you never could have imagined.

I'm afraid just the thought that I would no longer be into my current interests is somehow horrible to me so I really don't think I'm going to try to force myself to try new things (and I hardly have the self-discipline for that). When I was confident I was able to decide, to some degree, what I was into. It was strange. Now I can't do that at all.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:53 pm

I can also relate to what you said. I will sometimes research an interest and read the same articles over and over because I can't find any new information on the topic. But doing that persistently has led to me to make some really interesting discoveries that I would not have come across if I had not been so persistent.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:59 pm

It would be helpful to know what this interest is.

But i would think that one could step sideways and become interested in related topics- that do have more information content.

If you're obsessed with milliard fimore, and you run out of information on him. Just switch to James K. Polk.

nonames
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2012, 9:36 pm

I seem to have some control over my interests, so that helps. I can lessen them or increase them, or direct them slightly.

I'm not embarrassed by them, it's just many people find them creepy, or it upsets them, so I try to mask the fact that I'm really really interested so they don't complain. I decorate my room as much as possible even with my parents around. I have really weird things hanging. They think it's weird but so what! What's SO wrong about my interest? Is it really that weird? No, society has made it weird. I would recommend maybe reminding yourself they might have weird interests too (if they do) or what's the worst that could happen if they find out what you like? Or if that's too much, how about just write your day dreams down. If your memory isn't completely photographic, write the daydream down, store it for a while, than read when you've forgotten what you wrote. Nobody will know what you're writing about. It's not a drawing, so nobody will see it.

Also either your friend was a jerk, or maybe he was just bored by you (this still happens to me till this day that I have to ask if someone is bored by what I'm talking about) and was mean to shut you up.

Just some thoughts. I might be wrong.