Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ancestorsfound
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Dec 2012, 7:23 pm

Hi All,

I grew up in the Northeast and live further south now. I'm finishing up four grad school classes this week. I quit my job in September to do the school thing. I'm trying to sell my car and buy a scooter, so I have some money to contribute to my household - partner, two cats, dog, and 2,000 books; you get the drift. I am going finish a goal, but not sure if I will stay in my profession, or create a new one.

As I'm older than dirt, I can say that things do improve if you work on stuff! I spent my whole life in therapy of various kinds, several diagnoses, and so on, and I did a lot of work on issues and skills over the years. What drove me to discover that I am on the autism spectrum was my disjointed relationship with a sibling, as in, What the heck is WRONG?" I used to think I had broken my sister, but I now know that we both have ASD's and my father does too. More on that as I become more engaged here.

My interests are varied and I am constantly learning new things. Right now I am reading about the gold rush in Australia. The thing I come back to is photography. Some of my strengths are brainstorming and connecting others with resources.

I received a diagnosis of Asperger's Disorder this year, after jumping through a few hoops. Even with insurance (at the time) and a mental health personage at hand, it took self-diagnosis before I was referred to a testing psychologist who confirmed the diagnosis.

I am interested talking to anybody. but especially late-diagnosed adults and people with family members who are also on the spectrum.

Right now I am reading the book The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders by Verdick and Reeve. It's a good one.

AF

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 7:32 pm

my nephew was diagnosed. i read up on his symptoms and found myself described. i was 55. i believe my dad had AS, but he passed before the diagnosis met our family.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 10:04 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:58 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

ancestorsfound
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2012, 1:44 am

cathylynn wrote:
my nephew was diagnosed. i read up on his symptoms and found myself described. i was 55. i believe my dad had AS, but he passed before the diagnosis met our family.

Thanks so much for your reply! If you can, let me know how you are dealing with the knowledge. I am still going back and forth between relief and incomprehension.

ancestorsfound
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2012, 1:45 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Thanks, Tim!

ancestorsfound
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2012, 1:47 am

noxnocturne wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet!

I appreciate the welcome!

alex
Developer
Developer

13 Dec 2012, 11:20 am

Great to have you here at Wrong Planet!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 11:53 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage

corastorm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2012, 12:11 am

ancestorsfound wrote:
I am interested talking to anybody. but especially late-diagnosed adults and people with family members who are also on the spectrum.

Hiya,
I am 34 and was diagnosed this year. I also have a 15 yo daughter w/ AS and I believe my late grandfather was on the spectrum and wrongly diagnosed.

I'm also doing the return to grad school thing and currently navigating all the challenges that presents. Feel free to message me anytime.
C