Page 11 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 5:50 pm

Paguk wrote:
I generally don't have to deal with anything reeking of that caliber, though there was that one time that I had to sit through Larry the Cable Guy pretending to be a health inspector in what was essentially a procession of lame cliche's strung together on some abomination passing itself off as a plot.

I walked out after about twenty minutes.

I still want to see the Larry the Cable Guy movie.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Oct 2007, 1:45 pm

Yes, I thought "Marie-Antoinette" was bad . It was just terminally dull. Perhaps that's the point , Coppola is into portraying terminal dullnesses; but " The Virgin Suicides" wasn't.

"Scoop" ABYSMAL, embarrassing , feeble dribblings.
"The Hills have Eyes" boring revolting offensive junk.
" Slevin" Didn't even make it to the end, not even to halfway.
Me too I can't think what the all time worst is, but these are JUST from this years viewing!

Then there's
" Amelie" and " The Lost City of Children" by same team ( or half of it). Didn't get past first 15 minutes of Amelie; was vomiting too much. I LOATHE. Gag gag regurge. Sickly . Repulsive syrup.
" The Village" like someone else said. I still love " Sixth Sense" and quite enjoy "invincible" ( english name?)BUT "the village" was so naive , and clunky and pseudo deep , and obvious, and non-credible , and ham acted , and patronising, that for a while I thought there must be more to it, something I hadn't got , even tho I had been VERY bored.
But one that left a horrible taste in my mouth , while thinking it was "serious art" ( I sometimes take a while to realise I've been conned ) , was " The Baby of Macon". Luckily I saw " The Piano" the next day and realised immediately where Greenaways rubbish had been most pretentious ; rape does not have quite the power over a woman's innermost being that Greenaways sentimental "horror" pretends. Destroying her creativity and means to express herself by chopping off a prime piano-playing finger ,yes, but not that parade of glorified abuse.

PS: can't agree about " American Beauty" . It was almost the first film in original version that I saw about 3 years after becoming a mother , and I came out of the cinema crying. I felt seen. Perhaps it works best for people who are parents and had post-natal deprssion and are feeling alone in a foreign country. But I still love it tho' no longer so convinced by any apparent depths. It's rare to see the americans shown in such a miserable way.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 4:15 pm

ouinon wrote:
Yes, I thought "Marie-Antoinette" was bad . It was just terminally dull. Perhaps that's the point , Coppola is into portraying terminal dullnesses; but " The Virgin Suicides" wasn't.

"Scoop" ABYSMAL, embarrassing , feeble dribblings.
"The Hills have Eyes" boring revolting offensive junk.
" Slevin" Didn't even make it to the end, not even to halfway.
Me too I can't think what the all time worst is, but these are JUST from this years viewing!

Then there's
" Amelie" and " The Lost City of Children" by same team ( or half of it). Didn't get past first 15 minutes of Amelie; was vomiting too much. I LOATHE. Gag gag regurge. Sickly . Repulsive syrup.
" The Village" like someone else said. I still love " Sixth Sense" and quite enjoy "invincible" ( english name?)BUT "the village" was so naive , and clunky and pseudo deep , and obvious, and non-credible , and ham acted , and patronising, that for a while I thought there must be more to it, something I hadn't got , even tho I had been VERY bored.
But one that left a horrible taste in my mouth , while thinking it was "serious art" ( I sometimes take a while to realise I've been conned ) , was " The Baby of Macon". Luckily I saw " The Piano" the next day and realised immediately where Greenaways rubbish had been most pretentious ; rape does not have quite the power over a woman's innermost being that Greenaways sentimental "horror" pretends. Destroying her creativity and means to express herself by chopping off a prime piano-playing finger ,yes, but not that parade of glorified abuse.

PS: can't agree about " American Beauty" . It was almost the first film in original version that I saw about 3 years after becoming a mother , and I came out of the cinema crying. I felt seen. Perhaps it works best for people who are parents and had post-natal deprssion and are feeling alone in a foreign country. But I still love it tho' no longer so convinced by any apparent depths. It's rare to see the americans shown in such a miserable way.

Most amusing part of The Vilage? "Those we do not speak of.." hom they speak about in almost EVERY SCENE. Made me giggle. Its like the Knights who say Ni scene.. transpose "It" with "Those we do not speak of" and its almost the same.

loske
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2007, 7:42 pm

Godzilla- How many times do we have to see him kill that lizard?!
The Avengers - Just plain lamearse
Eragon...........

JimmyNeurtonRules
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 9:42 am

The old Transformers movie, Megatron actully killed Prime and made the movie flat without having a leader during the rest of the movie.

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 6:48 am

Witt wrote:
Marie Antoinette

Boring movie,about French queen who was also bored.
Only exciting thing in entire movie is revolution that put the end to this boredom.

But since Sofia Coppola was director,I'm not surprised why is it sooooo boring.
Lets not forget her 'masterpiece' - Lost In Translation,a movie which was also so boring,that almost put me into sleep.

Boring as in not a lot of plot? Suits me. I hate films that consist of almost nothing but plot.

Marie Antoinette must be my least favourite film of hers, but I liked the other three. I think she's the director I can relate to most because her films do not try to impress, which is what I hate about most films. Films that try to please.

One of the best cases of this must be Three Musketeers. I thought the film was hilarious because it had absolutely no point. Just the kind of film that suits modern times. Blockbuster cinema.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:08 pm

Napoleon Dynamite

Crappy, crappy movie. Enough said.

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:21 pm

I absolutely loathed the last "Twilight" film. It was boring and the plot, more than that of the films before that, was very... um... how to say it nicely? Controversial. ^^

I have seen quite a lot of really bad films. But most of the time I still find something to like about them.

I also didn't like the re-make of "The Day The Earth Stood Still". At all. Some films were bad enough for their official trailers alone.

I never watched all of "Pearl Harbor". The first 30 minutes were too dreadful. Omg, it was SO American. Not in a good way. It was... I can't even say anything nice about it. It was clearly 100% patriotic without any reflection. Sure enough, the real events were terrifying, but the way it was made into picture... just... ugh...

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 8:27 pm

Veresae wrote:
DerekD_Goldfish wrote:
"The first that comes to mind is "Lost in Translation," though I use the word "film" loosely, considering the "film" was really just a slide show of Bill Murray and Scarlet Johanson on vacation in Tokeyo."

It does have a great soundtrack though

I disagree--I found nothing on the soundtrack appealing. But I have limited taste in music.

Not even My Bloody Valentine? Or The Jesus and Mary Chain? I love both bands endlessly.

(I loved everything about the film. I could write endless paragraphs why...)

krex wrote:
I find it very painful to watch anything with Adam Sandler.I dont like Forest Gump or many of the "Police Academy" style movies.I hate car chases but can watch mindless "thrillers" that have a lot of plot holes,which drives my boyfriend crazy.I prefer movies with good plot development but I can enjoy a "bad" movie with good special effects.

Yeah, I know... I don't like most typecast actors. I don't like Vin Diesel either because he ONLY stars in movies that need testosterone.

zebedee wrote:
hugh grant and adam sandler movies however ... I'd rather watch bella lugosi

Omg, I LOVE Hugh Grant. XD And I can totally understand why people hate him so much. I have interesting dilemmas, I know. ^^

Cowgirlchic23 wrote:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

8O I want to watch it. Because of... the cast. And because of Michel Gondry.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 9:44 pm

One that contains an overpaid and overly good looking Hollywood actor.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 9:48 pm

Shoot 'Em Up and Wanted. I cannot stand these movies!

I've been shooting guns as long as I can remember. I LOVE targetshooting as a sport. I got my sharpshooter certification in the airforce.

I know they're movies, but I can't stand the things they do with guns in these movies! (curving bullets ect....)

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 9:53 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
One that contains an overpaid and overly good looking Hollywood actor.

I knowwwww.

You know, I think about most famous films/actors that way. It sometimes blinds me from being able to see some good things out there.

You mean films like the "Ocean's" series? Or "Inception"? ^^ Even though I liked "Inception"...

I am currently pissed off at "The Descendants". It's... not worth mentioning. But really... I TRIED to like it, but it was just such a cliché.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 4:24 am

i'm reluctant to disrespect anybody's heartfelt creative efforts, but-
i found that the movie/video adaptation of "flatland" was a big let-down. it was shrill and the plot exposition was opaque. overall, it was too literal a translation of the original story.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 9:43 am

My personal picks on the worst films I've ever seen and my reasons:
-Santa Claus Conquers The Martians: Not awful-bad, but I did watch the non-MST3K version and BOY did it make a difference.
-Dancer In The Dark: A musical with Bjork in the lead role. Need I say more?
-Cars 2: More of a disappointment than bad. It was bad enough that Pixar became its own worst enemy when it came to making films, but they chose the wrong character to build on which cause the story to topple like a house of cards.
-Marie Antoinette: The whole contemporary music in 18th century France thing just lost me. It was a shame too since I personally loved Lost In Translation.
-Super Mario Bros and Double Dragon: These were the first two movies I saw in theaters which I felt were really God awful. That's not to say I didn't see bad movies in theaters before then, but it was before I knew better.
-pretty much any comedy with Adam Sandler excluding Happy Gilmore & The Waterboy.

I know there are far worse films out there, but I've had the habit of treating bad movies like junk food: okay in moderation but unhealthy in excess. I include the "so bad it's good" films in this analogy, but I purposely left them off this list.