Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 9:26 pm

What is more important to you?

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2012, 9:34 pm

I personally prefer a better story over amazing graphics and no story. If there was the latter, sure I could stare at the pretty art for a while but then what? I wouldn't replay it since I'd probably just pay attention to the same graphics. I would not have taken as much away as I would have from a game with a good plot/experience. I'm all for graphics, but would be willing to sacrifice superb graphics if it meant an amazing story.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 9:52 pm

Music!

Story and graphics are nothing without awesome music to go along with it.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 9:57 pm

Story.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2012, 10:25 pm

I think they have to go hand in hand in certain genres for me to fully enjoy the gaming experience. I definitely didn't need great graphics or a terribly in-depth story to enjoy the Pokemon games for hundreds of hours but I think Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was substantially more enjoyable because of it's groundbreaking graphics back in 2006. That said, my favorite game of all time, Metal Gear Solid 4, had my favorite story so I guess I'll have to go 40-60 in terms of graphics to story, haha.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 12:03 am

It depends on if it's supposed to have a good story or not. An RPG needs story above graphics. Trine or Rayman don't need a detailed story so the graphics better be really good (and boy they are!)

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 1:25 am

Aesthetics over both.

Even if you have the best story in the world, or if you have the largest face count to date, if your color palette is quite literally fashioned from the inside of a toilet your game isn't going to do very well.

Author/Writer

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

14 Dec 2012, 1:37 am

Oh, story by far!

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 2:01 am

Gameplay.

It is a game after all. It doesn't matter if your graphics are the best on the market, or your story is award winning material, if the gameplay is as fun as pounding nails through your dick.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 3:01 am

depends on the game with games like Half-Life and Fallout 3 and New Vegas it is the Story but if it is driving simulator then Graphics like Euro truck Simulator 2.

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2012, 4:09 am

That is kind of a complicated question!
I think Story and Gameplay are the biggest factors for a 10/10 game~

There are games where the story is just f*****g amazing.
Legacy of Kain for example. The gameplay is so wonky and the combat is really bad as well.
But the story.... story makes the game look so goddamn amazing!

Then there are games where the story is = :roll:
But the gameplay is so good that you will overlook the laughable story.

Graphics are just the icing on the cake and that's it.
That's how I see it anyway. The graphics can go back to early 2000 for all I care.
Then companies won't spend money and time on tweaking graphics and focus more on the actual game :D

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 4:33 am

gameplay, polish, story/graphics.

gameplay is self evident and the latter are in a way a part of it,
far too many promising games die due to lack of polish, their story, gameplay and graphics can all be amazing but a few of the wrong kind of flaw can ruin any game.

the story and graphics are equal, i also have the same aproach to them, i prefer them in a good quality but none of those would be a deal breaker if they werent.

some of the best games i have played have a story line that can literally fit on half a piece of paper, size 12 ariel, cheesy and with so many unexplained holes that it would sink where it to stand unsupported.

graphics are similar, it can be 8 bit and filled with cheap sprites and still be a brilliant game, in some rare cases both can go out the window and a game becomes better for it, like atom zombie smasher or dig and rig

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 9:21 pm

My first reaction is to say story, no question…. But, that is not always true.

I think it’s story and/or qameplay and then graphics last.

Some of my recent favorites are Arkham City, Red Dead Redemption, New Vegas, The Walking Dead, and Borderlands.

I play most of those games for story, but I enjoy the gameplay too…

Of the last two, I find the gameplay aspects of The Walking Dead lacking, but the story fantastic and of Borderlands the story is lacking, but gameplay is really fun!

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

18 Dec 2012, 1:58 am

Neither. Fandomability.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 4:46 am

Story tends to be important to me, so I'll go with that. It's not always important to me, mind you. It depends on the game in question. Sometimes the story's really simple, and the focus is on gameplay. In that case, the gameplay matters most to me, and the story matters little, if at all. However, I can say that the story has kind of saved a small handful of games for me. The ending I got in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories makes me glad I played it, though that doesn't necessarily mean that I'll play it again. :?

I can't say graphics don't matter to me at all. I play handheld games and retro games in addition to modern console games, but I do have a preconceived notion of what, say, a ps1 rpg out to look like. For the most part though, art style matters more to me than attempted realism. I'd rather have a game that's pleasing to look at, regardless of how detailed the graphics are. I'd honestly rather look at something like Chrono Trigger than CoD. Of course, that doesn't mean a game can't look pleasing, and impressive at the same time. Water in the Uncharted games is unnaturally blue, despite that series being among the best looking games ever released on a console. I like that design choice though, since that blue is easy on the eyes. For the most part though, I would rather play an enjoyable game that looks awful than a good looking game that's unpleasant. That's just me though.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 9:28 am

Gameplay.

Story doesn't matter to me since in my opinion, most games have cruddy stories anyway. And a game from last gen can still look really good even compared to a lot of the new stuff (see: Okami)

Like eelektrik said, if the gameplay is as fun as pounding nails through your dick, the story or how a game looks shouldn't matter.