Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

sam-hinch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2012, 1:14 pm

I know that many people have posted thread starters on driving. But do people with Aspergers have trouble with concentration; I am learning to drive and when a lot goes on I forget to do things such as look around for hazards, forget the procedure for maneuvers. Also, afterwards I feel completely exahuasted, is this something to do with Aspergers. I have found a way to keep my concentration, with some medication stuff, but after an hour it still deteriorates. I don't want to have to take medication everytime I have to go out somewhere to drive.

I also get very nervous at roundabouts, I know when to go; sometimes I'm fine with it sometimes I'm not. Has anyone else had this problem? if so how to you deal with it, and if so is it linked to AS?

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 1:28 pm

I can't stand roundabouts, but thankfully we don't have many of them here.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2012, 1:28 pm

Definitely; I mean, I'm a fantastic driver - no tickets, no accidents and always incredibly acutely aware of things going on around me but it IS extremely exhausting. In order to drive, I feel like my brain has to be firing on absolutely all cylinders, all the time and on the occasions that I do feel like I can relax (long freeway trips), I find it difficult to force myself back into that high-concentration mode once I've gotten off the freeway and usually have to stop and sort of re-gather myself. Agreed :) roundabouts, four way stops, merging with other people: all of that stuff causes a bit of anxiety for me. I can't say definitively if this is related to Asperger's since I'm certainly not qualified to make such statements but I think that people on the spectrum who are very detail oriented, are likely to find all of the sensory (visual, sometimes auditory, etc.) stimulation of driving, very overwhelming. As far as dealing with it - I try to take the exact same routes everywhere to help alleviate the issue but the primary way I deal with it, is to either avoid driving when possible or carpool often; both are coping out (though carpooling is great for the environment, woot) and I wish I had the motivation to work on the problem rather than avoid it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 2:13 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
I can't stand roundabouts, but thankfully we don't have many of them here.
There are practically none in the USA. We usually use traffic lights, which can get pretty complex for large intersections; or we use cloverleaf-style ramps and merge lanes, like for highways. Drivers here don't seem to like traffic circles, maybe because you have to pay attention to use one safely without getting stuck going around and around.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 2:17 pm

Carmel, Indiana has put in quite a few roundabouts. I avoid them.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

14 Dec 2012, 4:14 pm

Using one-way streets in the U.S. is pretty similar to the skill of using roundabouts.

One-way streets/roundabouts are little more than an attempt to get me to kill someone. I wonder why so many cities do it... I miss D.C. and the subway. :(

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 10:02 pm

I believe Asperger's makes driving difficult for some people. And I believe I am one of them. I managed to get a license, but I decided not to drive again because it's too overwhelming. People find me odd, because I don't drive though I live in a area where driving is pretty essential to get to places. Not driving makes my life very inconvenient, but I can't risk it.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 10:10 pm

I hate roundabouts!! ! I also hate turning left at a stoplight, and i also hate turning right on red. My gps has been a lifesaver. It has reduced my anxiety 100 percent. Without a gps I would be a nervous wreck!

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

lynn7465
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2012, 11:14 pm

Ive always found driving easy, it gave me much more confidence when I realised I could drive as well as everyone else. we have many roundabouts here and no problems with them

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 11:39 pm

I've had some pretty ridiculous accidents and near-misses. I love to drive on empty roads with a good handling car but driving through city traffic in my small SUV puts me on edge. There are times I forget I'm driving or miss something obvious or just get lost.

My dad gave me sage advise once: "They are all cattle, they will veer off and do odd things you can't possibly think would happen, so expect the unexpected and always be cautious." These words have been a blessing and I always keep them in mind. Also, they are competitive! They must get ahead of you! Even if it's absolutely moronic to swerve into your lane or past yours from the complete opposite side of the road to make a turn they should've prepared for 2 blocks ago, they will do it just to beat you. And you let them, let them win their small stupid victory, because heart-pounding, chest-heaving, can't possibly breathe!! ! reaction is worse than trying to outmaneuver them.