Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

hfwang18
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2012, 9:04 pm

After getting criticized repeatedly for my position on capital punishment, I would just like to ask this question. This is not about the merits of capital punishment outside of fairness- I already know that it's not necessarily a deterrent, and that crime rates depend on societal health more than the status of capital punishment. From a reciprocal perspective, it seems to makes sense and is fair (lex talionis). However, many disagree. What is fair or not fair about it?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 9:10 pm

hfwang18 wrote:
After getting criticized repeatedly for my position on capital punishment, I would just like to ask this question. This is not about the merits of capital punishment outside of fairness- I already know that it's not necessarily a deterrent, and that crime rates depend on societal health more than the status of capital punishment. From a reciprocal perspective, it seems to makes sense and is fair (lex talionis). However, many disagree. What is fair or not fair about it?

If capital punishment for murder or otherwise horrific crime could be administered correctly each and ever time it would be fair (a life for a life). But we know the workings of "justice" is far from perfect. I favor life sentence in a penal colony rather than executing capital death. If one does it incorrectly the error cannot be undone. Whereas if a person is sentenced to life incorrectly, he can be extracted and compensated for time lost and pain/suffering.

ruveyn

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2012, 9:37 pm

no,
anyway there are other more problematic things in the world so when it comes to this sort of 'punishment' then it isn't as bad.

the world isn't built for protection for people. leaders are like computers. they can't sense and can't even see something.

i do believe in some sort of 'system' that works without the attention of people and some of it is revealed to just some people who got the chance to see more but this more is also less when you look at it thoroughly.

sorry i'm not clear enough. i can try better but hey. at least i'm trying differently.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 9:43 pm

I only support capitol punishment during Wartime Invasion. This is because the nation is at risk and in a state of near martial law.

So acts of sabotage or treason that can threaten the nation during war should have a swift response including field execution if necessary.

Otherwise, I don't really see the benefit. I also think it is bizarre to designate another human as executioner and have blood on their hands. If I was asked to throw the switch or or push a button. gas a human being I would refuse.