Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 8:43 pm

ruveyn wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:
But if the Boss thinks you are a ret*d you are going to get fired.

Pick a better boss.

I never got fired because someone thought I was a ret*d.

ruveyn

Not all autistic people have the same difficulties and not everyone is as lucky as you. People can have an above average overall IQ but still have trouble with certain tasks. Autism is often co-morbid with things like auditory processing disorder (having trouble understanding instructions in a noisy environment or when people talk with an odd accent), problems with executive functioning, or working memory. Most of these things have nothing to do with intelligence but can still interfere with keeping a job and lead to unfair judgements on your level of intelligence. If social issues are your only problem you really need to count yourself lucky.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 6:28 pm

Quote:
However, affirmative action only worsens things, as people will assume that minorities' qualifications are due to affirmative action and thus will worsen discrimination.

I saw a fictional tv show once ("ER" maybe, I don't remember) in which a hospital patient refused to be operated on by a doctor who was a minority. The patient said he was not racist, but he knew that minorities were admitted to medical school with lower scores than whites. He simply wanted a doctor who had done better in school.
Kind of hard to argue with his reasoning.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 4:26 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
However, affirmative action only worsens things, as people will assume that minorities' qualifications are due to affirmative action and thus will worsen discrimination.

I saw a fictional tv show once ("ER" maybe, I don't remember) in which a hospital patient refused to be operated on by a doctor who was a minority. The patient said he was not racist, but he knew that minorities were admitted to medical school with lower scores than whites. He simply wanted a doctor who had done better in school.
Kind of hard to argue with his reasoning.

It may have been a reference to Dr. Patrick Chavis (his case was also included in my previously mentioned work by Thomas Sowell).

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 2:36 am

I think Affirmative Action needs to be stopped and replace it with a law that says we are all equal in rights and civil liberties. It is really racist as well because it leads to reverse discrimination.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:15 am

I believe in the principles of equality. Affirmative action is not equality. It separates people into groups and then gives distinct advantages to one group.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 9:51 am

Should be scrapped. Trump recently rolled back the affirmative action guidelines, hopefully he'll eventually scrap the whole thing.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 10:53 am

minervx wrote:
There is no way of saying this without hurting someone's feelings.

The standards are much lower for minorities.

Actually data/statistical studies, rather than subjective thought, have shown that black people have to work twice as hard as their white counterparts.

Article includes a link to a statistical Harvard study:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... od/409276/

Thus, the numbers actually show that whites are held to a much lower standard because they are allowed to be held at a much, much lower standard.

Case in point - many white people oddly (hilariously) believe that in a world where they sit at most of the seats of power, they are somehow being oppressed the most just because some black people have it better than they do.

The Presidents really show the standards of white people vs black people. Trump is allowed by many white people to basically act like an obscene human bulldozer. Well, let's see how that would look if Obama acted like Trump does (video clip courtesy of Bill Maher, although many comedy segments show this) --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swcJzacZkWU

Many of Trump's supporters would then throw a collective fit that would rival their outrage over Obama wearing a tan suit, lol.

As statistically shown, black people do have to worker harder and that isn’t just subjective opinion - it’s in the numbers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 11:50 am

Be a little careful in citing statistics. Although math is a pure. Statistics can be crafted to say just about anything. Many times it is how the question is phrased. Affirmative Action should not be about feelings. Equality is equality. If you are not treating one group equally, then it is not equality.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 12:05 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
minervx wrote:
There is no way of saying this without hurting someone's feelings.

The standards are much lower for minorities.

Actually data/statistical studies, rather than subjective thought, have shown that black people have to work twice as hard as their white counterparts.

Article includes a link to a statistical Harvard study:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... od/409276/

Thus, the numbers actually show that whites are held to a much lower standard because they are allowed to be held at a much, much lower standard.

Case in point - many white people oddly (hilariously) believe that in a world where they sit at most of the seats of power, they are somehow being oppressed the most just because some black people have it better than they do.

The Presidents really show the standards of white people vs black people. Trump is allowed by many white people to basically act like an obscene human bulldozer. Well, let's see how that would look if Obama acted like Trump does (video clip courtesy of Bill Maher, although many comedy segments show this) --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swcJzacZkWU

Many of Trump's supporters would then throw a collective fit that would rival their outrage over Obama wearing a tan suit, lol.

As statistically shown, black people do have to worker harder and that isn’t just subjective opinion - it’s in the numbers.

Affirmative action especially the quota kind has not changed this base prejudice, if anything it has reenforced it. All hiring tokens to meet some quota does is give the companies PR department a few faces to put on the companies diversity webpage.

If I was hiring and I had two equally qualified candidates. Candidate A came from a typical background and Candidate B grew up with nothing or in a war zone I would probably hire candidate B because that candidate likely had to work harder to get those qualifications indicating the candidate might have a better work ethic. I guess you would call that Affirmitive Action but I do not think you can accurately legislate that type of Affirmitive Action.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 12:19 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Be a little careful in citing statistics. Although math is a pure. Statistics can be crafted to say just about anything. Many times it is how the question is phrased. Affirmative Action should not be about feelings. Equality is equality. If you are not treating one group equally, then it is not equality.

The statistics aren't concerning affirmative action nor is my post - it is to empirically rebuke that singular poster's overall view (that minorities are held to lower standards) when statistics show in reality minorities have to work twice as hard.

The statistics provided don't look at affirmative action - they look at the workforce of work and pay which shows white people put in less work (as in not being held to a higher working standard) and earn more for that work. It analyzes work standard (raw data) rather than what people think (questions asked) is the case in the workplace.

Based off of questions asked 40% of white people think minorities are held to a lower standard - contrary to raw data which shows white people work twice as less than minorities for equal pay.

I'm open to viewing conflicting statistics which show minorities work less and earn equal or more than non-minorities if that numeric study can be provided.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Affirmative action especially the quota kind has not changed this base prejudice, if anything it has reenforced it.

I'd agree with that.

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2018, 8:14 pm

I forget how underrepresented people of color are on these sites until threads like these appear(often appear, honestly)

I just assume anyone who has shared some of the beliefs of "racism" explored here aren't familiar with the history behind these guidelines and anyone speaking about lesser candidates being granted admission has proof of said claims and aren't parroting racist lines of appropriation

OP, you ought to do some more research as to why you were scolded for your opinion if you're genuinely curious and want to understand, I'd reach out to a greater audience of opinions. If the majority of opinions reflect that AA was necessary because we needed reverse racism or to "lower the bar" for minorities... Maybe you should keep asking questions.

Just speaking about this page: Good posts by Spooky_Mulder and ASPartOfMe